FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heart has been set on a PS90 for awhile now (black, going to SBR it). I always thought I really wanted one with a ring sight to keep it low profile and looking more "original". I even went so far as to buy a black ring sight figuring it would be easier to find and get a deal on a NIB standard ps90 later on. Going to a gun show this afternoon and I'm damn near determined to make my PS90 dream a reality if the price can be +/- $100 or so dollars of fairly priced gunbroker auctions (willing to pay a bit more since I'm saving on shipping, xfer fees, and hassle).

Im a little conflicted about this now. I know it's probably unfair to judge the black sight not even mounted on a weapon but it seems like its going to be a PITA to get a decent sight picture with. I was playing w/ it in a dark room the other day and it took FOREVER to find the aperture/reticle just to look through it with it being so dark. I really hope this is a function of it not being mounted but I'm worried because I know for sure it'd take no time at all to peek through an unmounted eotech or red dot.

All this has me wondering whether I should really be on the prowl for a ps90 w/ the FN red dot instead. Any advice, comments, tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I purchased a tri-rail first with an Aimpoint HI red dot, i love the set up and absolutely zero complaints with it but I too was left wanting more; so I have begun the process of purchasing my black reticle sight and the hunt slowly begins for the PS90 standard because I too want the original looks of the P90 after the stamp gets approved for the SBR. I have not mounted or shot my PS90 with the black reticle sight I have on hand but from others on the forum who have used it they seem to say that once you get used to it you will absolutely love it. Your headed down the right path and you should get what you really want.

Good news is after purchasing the standard if you do not like the black reticle sight then you can take it off, sell it here and purchase a red dot to mount on top....either way you can not lose and good luck at the gun show today!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's a pretty good idea (and reassuring). Out of curiosity, do you happen to know the difference in bore to sight height of a FN red dot version vs the identical cmore red dot mounted on a tri-rail?

·
Registered
317 Posts
With the Black reticle on a "Standard" the sight picture is very quick and intuitive. You cannot compare by just holding it in hand and trying to look through it. Add the LED REM T3b and you will be even happier.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm just a couple of months ahead of you Doc. Planned to get a ps90 standard new in the box and put a sight on it, but agonized over which sight. Wanted the black reticle for the same reasons as you, but price & availability were stumbling blocks. Read myself nearly into a coma everywhere online absorbing the pros and cons everyone had to offer regarding the various options (not knowing anyone personally with a ps90 or having ever shot one). Learned a whole lot about 'modern' sights in the process. The whole idea was as much wish fulfillment and for fun as it was for any weighty purpose, and I'll be the first to admit it. Realizing THAT, I went with a black reticle and haven't regretted it, not even for a second. I have no doubt that other sights can make it quicker and easier to get on target, but with practice I think you'll find the black reticle is just great and in no way a disappointment. The key is consistent head placement when bringing the thing to bear, which (to me, at least) came quickly with said practice. No regrets! And to get my two cents' in on your next quest: I love the Elite Survival Systems carry bag for the rifle, bought after much comparison-shopping for opinions in the forums.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I got mine without the sight I want to try different ones I have then choose which to put on it. I have an extra eotech I bought cause of the rebate most likely would be that or get aimpoint h1. If I ever get the black sight Im definitely investing in the REM that is impressive!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts