FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’ve had my PS90 for about 5 years and run roughly 2,000 rounds through it without a single issue…until my last two trips to the range. I was firing SS197SR ammo (Product #: 10700017) and had several failures to feed some rounds simply weren’t stripped from the magazine and moved to chamber. Simply pulling the charging handle seemed to remedy this. There were, however several rounds that became lodged between the chamber and bolt assembly and some that were positioned at an angle with the tip in the chamber and the bolt closed on the other end. I was using a factory 10-round magazine that I have used for quite some time with no issues.
angled FtF.jpg vertical jam.jpg

The next week I returned to the range with a clean factory 50 round magazine and proceeded to encounter jams of the same kind. Once again, I was using factory SS197SR ammunition. In one instance a case became lodged in the chamber and the primer had been pulled out and crushed.
primer.jpg

I find it odd that this would suddenly be happening. I clean and Lube the weapon after every range session. Does anybody have any suggestions or perhaps have a contact number for a helpful customer service rep from FN?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
http://www.fnhusa.com/r/support/service/

SERVICE

If your firearm should require service or repairs, you may send your firearm directly to our own Service Department using thisservice form. For technical questions regarding your firearm or service, please call our Customer Support Manager at 800-635-1321.FNH USA Service Department
3005 Arnold Tenbrook Rd
Arnold, Missouri 63010-9406
Phone: 800-635-1321
Returning your firearm for service

When returning your firearm for service, be sure to follow the guidelines below:

1. Use this service form.
  2. Be sure your gun is completely unloaded.
  3. Package it securely in a double-packed cardboard container.
  4. Enclose the service form with your firearm that clearly describes the nature of your repair concerns or service desired. If the service form is NOT included with your firearm your service will be delayed.
  5. Include a day time phone number where you can be reached.
  6. Never return ammunition with your firearm. It is against postal and most commercial regulations.
  7. Remove all accessories. FNH is not responsible for lost or damaged aftermarket accessories.
  8. If you have any further questions, call Customer Support at 800-635-1321.
IMPORTANT: FNH USA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE INCURRED DURING SHIPPING.

Service Tracking

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Popped primers are not uncommon in this caliber especially even factory rounds. I see what looks like only a partial primer crimp in the 7-9oclock position. Have you ever used a 9mm or 40 cal brass/bronze brush and carb cleaner (not brake cleaner or other conventional gun cleaners) to clean the chamber? Brass coating does and will build up in chamber

·
Registered
120 Posts
While I've read how horrible the AE is (I've fired some rds and have been happy with them), I see just as many threads like this one demonstrating SS197 FTEs and FTFs. My personal gun/rifle troubleshooting starts with the process of elimination to identify the failure point. I would start with different ammo and lots #s, mag (consider the man kave delrin mag pins http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-ps90-accessories-mods/49362-new-product-man-kave-p90-ps90-mag-pins.html), rifle internals (clean and clear) and then when all else fails, send the rifle to FNH. Just my opinion :icon_angel:

AF1

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Popped primers are not uncommon in this caliber especially even factory rounds. I see what looks like only a partial primer crimp in the 7-9oclock position. Have you ever used a 9mm or 40 cal brass/bronze brush and carb cleaner (not brake cleaner or other conventional gun cleaners) to clean the chamber? Brass coating does and will build up in chamber
I have seen 2 popped primer issues in about 200 rounds of SS197 in my PS90 in the last couple of weeks. In both instances, once the primer was struck the bullet fired but the felt recoil was "different" and I knew something was amiss. The spent case was not properly ejected.

I had pre-loaded my magazines and so I didn't have the boxes I could go back to in order to record the lot numbers of the particular ammo. I am guessing there may be some quality control issues with certain lots of ammo.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Willing to take all the junk AE ammo any one can muster.

PM me with details and see if we can work a deal.
I wonder if this is newer lot#s doing this?
i will also take the " junk AE " ammo ...

The newer lots question is a good one. Unfortunatley I have been shooting surp from my stockpile and mostly AE.

JIMO:

I have posted this the other day however... what I have found specially with AE or any SS round that comes misfed, if the bullet gets pushed back into the casing and the powder contaminates the internals of the weapon.... might as well STOP SHOOTING and take the weapon home for an extensive cleaning.

I had a terrible day a few days ago, was out at the range, with a dirty gun, gave it to my brother .... and after a few rounds the AE misfed, dumped powder all over the internals ( because we cleared it and continued shooting ) it happened again & again, my brother finally ripped of my ECH ????? and I just about wigged out.
I have never seen that happen, but the powder in the internals was the root cause, the gun required an extensive cleaning.
These weapons do not like dirt, let alone excessive powder. I'll will tell you it was a real mess.

just my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts