FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching some PS90 videos on you tube, the ones where people film themselves at the range, etc. I noticed that many of them put their support hand thumb through the trigger guard. This is a very bad idea, since you don't want anything other than your trigger finger in there. If you have both the thumb and the trigger finger, it gets really crowded, especially with gloves on. There is nothing to be gained by this, since recoil is not an issue.

I keep my support thumb outside and extended forward, ending up under to cocking handle. This is similar to how most people place their thumbs with an automatic pistol. On the Blackwater demo video, I noticed the FN rep does it this way...

Notice how "thumb forward" rotates your wrist into a more natural position too.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I don't waist my time with anything Blackwater endorses.

My Dad always told me to that anyone who offers advise freely, and question any advise that demand payment.

BLACKWATER=Mecrenary

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't waist my time with anything Blackwater endorses.

My Dad always told me to that anyone who offers advise freely, and question any advise that demand payment.

BLACKWATER=Mecrenary
If you would bother to watch the video, it is an FN rep, not BW doing the demo. Are you saying you would not waist your time with the P90?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
No, I'm saying anything tought at blackwater is crap. If you notice at the sight you refered to the vid called ‘FN Herstal promotional video’ showed thumbs in the thumb hole. ya think?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I saw that video too. Seems that the Belgium FN guys and soldiers tend to shoot with the thumb in the hole. The American FN tactical instructors don't. I recall seeing some pics of FN salesmen shooting with thumb in the hole.

Is there a right or wrong way? Well, thumb in the "donut" is a possible safety issue. If the weapon kicked like a 7.62, then I might see a reason to do it.

At close CQB distances, the thumb in the hole does give better weapon retention.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We should also note that the PS90/P90 appears to have been designed for the support thumb to be in the trigger guard, due to its shape.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
A local investigator that deals with the local swat team - he showed me his PS90 before I bought mine (and he is a member here) - told me that he doesn't put the thumb in because he didn't want to crowd the trigger. But personally, I put my thumb in. That's how it is most comfortable for me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some pics to explain it better. My son took them, and he doesn't know how to use the focus very well :D

Top picture is thumb through the donut. Middle is with gloves, showing how crowded it it. Bottom is thumb extended and anchored under the cocking handle.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I grip an automatic, I keep the thumbs extended. So, it feels natural to extend my support thumb on the PS90.

Photo from www.usconcealedcarry.com

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ship, I suspect that most tactical teams use the thumb extended method for team safety. A ND in a tactical situation is not only a safety concern, but can alert the bad guys that you are nearby...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Im not really sure if I understand your statment Iraq... the thumb in the hole well alert the bad guys? Team safety? I dont understand. :-?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you keep your thumb in the donut, and you are going into a house with the safety off, you run the risk of having a ND. If you are doing a silent entry and have a ND, then the badguys will hear you and know you are inside.

Of course you can keep the safety on until you have to fire, but I am not as confident with the PS90 safety as compared with a M4 safety. I was doing some stress fire with my PS90 and your finger can slip off the safety at times. The M16/M4 design allows one to quickly go from safe to fire. The AK system was basically designed to go off safe just before going into combat. The PS90 is almost in between, but obviously they hoped it would be a quick flip from safety to fire. Honestly, I am having issues with it being fast, especially while wearing gloves, stress fire, etc. Maybe I just have to dry fire more and get it down. Being a lefty, I am also playing with using my support thumb to take it off safe.

·
Registered
225 Posts
OK, rogo, got it. Now I see were your coming from. I totaly agree with the M4/16 selector switch comparison. Ive seen were you can buy safe/auto saftey switches for the PS90 to make it look more like a P90, maybe somebody can come up with an extended safty switch like with extended safties on 1911 or something. hint hint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts