FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to plan out my PS90 SBR build and trying to decide on a suppressor and mount. I have a Gemtech GM-9 and a YHM Phantom LT 7.62 can, and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on either running a 9mm or .30cal can? I know people have done both.

With the GM-9 I could use a 3-lug. The LT 7.62 is 20oz and I feel like that would add a lot of extra weight.

I am not in the 556 caliber so I don't want to buy a 556 can solely for this platform (also don't want to wait for a Form 4 approval).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've got a TBAC Ultra 7 that I've run a few times on my SBR, worked well. Also have run my Octane 45 using a 22 end cap on it, so far that's been my favorite due to weight. Blowback on both was far less than my Spectre 2 making shooting the suppressed PS90 a joy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've run 2 cans on my PS90 (supersonic ammo only).

I built a 5 inch long 5.56 can with only 4 baffles in it specifically for the gun, just to 'take the edge off'. Apparently the volume of the 1.5 inch tube made up for it, and its a bit quieter than a blowback rifle length .22 unsuppressed firing supersonic ammo, the crack is louder than anything else going on.

Before I built the can, I was running my AK can on it, since that's the only can I move between multiple guns (all my others live on the guns they are for). That's an 8 inch long tube of the same diameter with a large blast chamber and generous overbore to account for breakpressure and thread concentricity on various AK's. It's got 7 baffles bored progressively tighter (reducing backpressure) then looser halfway down the can to account for thread concentricity. They are bored anywhere from .405 to .445.

In the same range session myself and a friend swapped back and forth between the 2 cans, and neither of us could notice a difference between the 2 cans, both from the shooter's perspective and standing a few feet next to them. I have considerable hearing damage but he does not. We both agreed there was no change to sound level or blowback.

All that to say that the AK can has a bore similar to a commercial 9mm can (other than a single .405 baffle which would be a bit tight on a 9mm), and there was no problem with the overbore. Its a supersonic round that makes a crack, regardless of how you suppress it. If you plan on running subsonic, it may make more of a difference, but at that point I think you should just use a .22 (rifle or can).

5.7 does put out a lot more pressure and heat though, so if I planned on shooting a good volume, I would think I would want a 9mm can rated for full auto. I have an AAC Evolution 9, for example, that is SUPER light and made of thin aluminum. I don't plan on ever throwing that on my PS90.

Caveat: I will say the huge difference we saw is in the weight out on the end. Lighter weight pistol cans can make up for length by using lighter components, but if going with a .308 rifle can I would want something either short and built like a tank or longer but utilizing a lot of titanium. They are made of heavier materials, so you will notice a lot of the weight out front with a full length rifle can, especially since everything rear or the chamber on the PS90 is super light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spoke with a CSR from Sig Sauer in July regarding the SRD22X which is rated for 22lr, .17 HMR, .17 Mach II and 22 Mag. She told me that the SRD22X can be used on my PS90 to suppress 5.7x28. I haven't tried it yet, I'm waiting on my new threaded barrel to come in the mail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The GM-9 is rated for 9mm full auto and 300BLK subsonic only. Might want to call Gemtech and see if it is okay for 5.7x28

·
Vendor
147 Posts
I would run the 7.62 and throw a 556 end cap on it. However it's up to you, try people's suggestions and see what you like the best, as in the end it all depends on what you want via how quiet, the weight, bench plinking, CQB etc. Let the community know your finding's when your done as I'm sure people struggle with a can purchase or build when it comes to the PS90, everyone has different opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried my Dead Air Mask, SandmanS and Rugged 9mm suppressors. The SandManS was best but the 9mm can was darn close. The Mask just does not have enough volume for the 5.7

·
Registered
91 Posts
New to the platform, just picked up my PS90 today. I also ordered the CMMG 10.4" barrel for the gun and I'm going to submit my eform 1 this week. I have a Sandman S and Ghost M (45 cal) for suppressors. I'm just wondering what would work best for sound reduction. I am deciding between a DA 3 prong flash hider to use the Sandman or a 1/2x28 tri lug adapter to use the Ghost M. Which can would be quieter on the gun in your opinion?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has anybody tried a reflex suppressor on a non-SBR PS90?

An integral suppressor?

I would like to have a fixed barrel length of 16+" with suppressor as possible, but as short as legally possible without being an SBR. I would prefer to not SBR the gun so that I don't have to worry about notifying the ATF when taking the gun across state lines, or passing thru a state that has banned SBRs (yes, there is one that allows suppressors but not SBRs - there used to be two - who knows what the state laws will be tomorrow?) whenever I travel with the PS90.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
What's a reflex suppressor, hadn't heard that term before? I have a 16" PS90 that I installed the Imperial shroud on and every once in a while I suppress it. Normally on it, mostly due to the length, I go with a Spectre II and it works well with the longer barrel not producing too much blowback.....unlike using it on the SBR where the gun really prefers a can with move volume. I just don't shoot my 16" too often and as a matter of fact right now it's tucked away in one of those gun hideaway shelves for emergencies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What's a reflex suppressor, hadn't heard that term before?
View attachment 132259

Mounting a T8 Scout Reflex Suppressor
View attachment 132261

Reflex Suppressors General Info

Basically, the reflex suppressor is a a design that has much of the volume of the suppressor behind the muzzle of the barrel, so as to add volume and keep the projection past the muzzle as short as possible. It does this by placing the baffles up front and the majority of the volume behind the baffles and along the barrel. The benefits are efficiency (it is supposed to be quieter), less length beyond the muzzle, longer barrel length, cleaner operation and durability.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
You'd need to go to an imperial arms or HTA (no longer in business) shroud if you want to keep the 16" barrel. Otherwise you'd have to make a custom shroud if you wanted the barrel any shorter, but not the OE 10.4" length. Could be done, but most people just go SBR and use threaded adapter..

·
Registered
82 Posts
You'd need to go to an imperial arms or HTA (no longer in business) shroud if you want to keep the 16" barrel. Otherwise you'd have to make a custom shroud if you wanted the barrel any shorter, but not the OE 10.4" length. Could be done, but most people just go SBR and use threaded adapter..
Thanks. I was thinking of going to Tornado Tech and asking them if they could do something along the lines of what I want, as they are local to me.

If they don't wish to take it on, I may wait until I retire (this year or next), get the appropriate tools and materials and attempt it myself (with a Form 1 of course).

TROS is also local to me, but it appears his website is down and/or he is out of business, plus reading between the lines, from what I remember on his website, he probably would not want to deal with even sending a short barrel to someone who would do this. Maybe Thompson Machine would be interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts