Which Suppressor Is The Best For a PS90 SBR

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which one of these two suppressors would be the quietest and operate the best during sustained fire on a PS90 SBR?

Any Pros & Cons between the two?

- Gemtech G5 w/FN P90 QD Mount

- AAC M4-2000 w/TROS Adapter and Ratchet Mount

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Jack...bring back Chloe please....seriously I don't have either for my ps90 but I'm waiting on my stamp to send my barrel to Mark for cut and re thread for direct thread to the Gemtech SfN suppressor. Just curious if you looked into that can with Gemtech and no adapter needed? Unless of course your trying to leverage across other weapons in your inventory? This set up will work with the FsN & Jarvis threaded barrel without adapter too if that helps? Sorry for not being able to answer your question directly.

·
Administrator
11,104 Posts
I can't help either. I also do not have either of those selections. I was using my AAC Evo 9mm can for my PS90SBR and it was working fine with a direct thread of 1/2X28. However, I decided to get a cross platform can for use with my PS90SBR, AR15 and FS2K and for me, I chose the Saker 5.56. I also got a free ST15 engraved Saker lower to go with it. Hey, it's a free lower so what the heck.... Details are here: Saker Promotion ? SilencerCo. It made the cost a little easier to live with.

I will still use my Evo 9mm can for the FiveseveN as it is light enough.

Given your choices though, I would go with the AAC M4-2000.

The AAC M4-2000 is shorter (.375 inches), lighter (1.7oz) than the Gemtech G5 but the build materials are about the same. Noise reduction for the AAC is 32 to 34 dB according to the manufacturer and for the Gentech G5, it is 32 dB, also from the manufacturer. So it really comes down to what you want to do as far as attachments are concerned, but I think that the Gemtech is better than the AAC for the PS90SBR as far as mounting option based on what I have read, not based on actual use of the product. The AAC states "minimal and repeatable zero-shift" and the Gemtech states "provides repeatable POI shift". If you are going to use this can on cross platforms, look at mounting costs for the various platforms and options that are currently available. These QD mounts add up quickly when you are looking at two or three platforms that require them. If you are not thinking cross platform today, think cross platform tomorrow - so look down the road as well.

As far as dB reductions, they all come in about the same and the 1 to 3 dB variance is not perceptible to normal hearing but the damage that can be caused without proper hearing protection can be instantaneous and permanent so unless you are going to shoot only subsonics, keep that in mind. You will still require hearing protection to protect your hearing even with the use of a can.

I think that the most important aspect of buying a can is noise reduction and construction materials followed by user serviceability then how it "looks". The last is really a non issue though as far as function-ability is concerned.

So yes, given the choices that you listed, I would go with the AAC M4-2000.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Jack...bring back Chloe please....seriously I don't have either for my ps90 but I'm waiting on my stamp to send my barrel to Mark for cut and re thread for direct thread to the Gemtech SfN suppressor. Just curious if you looked into that can with Gemtech and no adapter needed? Unless of course your trying to leverage across other weapons in your inventory? This set up will work with the FsN & Jarvis threaded barrel without adapter too if that helps? Sorry for not being able to answer your question directly.

You can get an adapter that will allow you to use the Gemtech 57 can and if you want to take it off you can screw on the factory flash hider on the SBR barrel. Adds maybe a 1/2" inch with the can.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
I also have a 5-7, and ps90 , but again I also have a different supressor. I have the sparrow. The new version. Not sure if it will work well, but I also have a 9 mm I can use and or the m42000. I know people that use the m4 and they love it.

·
Administrator
11,104 Posts
did not know one could use a 9 can on a sbr ps90 without damaging it do to pressures. got me wanting to try mine out on it
If you keep it subsonic. The 9mm is much lower pressure than the 5.7X28. Although it would probably NOT work without an issue, I would not attempt it especially now that I have a dedicated can coming in for the PS90SBR. So I will continue to use the 9mm can on the FiveseveN, but only with SUBSONIC rounds.

To the OP, sorry about the hijack but I though that I needed to clarify this so that there would not be any questions about the use of the 9mm can on the PS90SBR and FiveseveN.

Good write up of the Evo 9mm here: http://www.advanced-armament.com/assets/images/pdf/evo92002.pdf

The issue is not the chamber pressure, but the muzzle pressure that enters the can. There is a lot more powder in a supersonic load than there is in a sub sonic load. So a subsonic load in 5.7 is probably around the same muzzle pressure as a supersonic load in 9mm.

If you shoot a SS 5.7 load in your Evo 9mm can, say good bye to the can. It will probably be a one time kaboom.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The suppressor would be a solely dedicated to the PS90 and no other gun. The reason I didn't include the Gemtech SFN-57 is the G5 & M4-2000 has more volume which will allows more sound reduction compared to the SFN.

The one thing I like about the G5 is the mount but is that really worth going with the G5 over the performance of the M4-2000?

Oh, hope you like this pic of Chloe at the range :icon_e_biggrin:

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have cans from most of the big names. I went with a surefire socom for my ps90 sbr (I have the full size and the mini, but haven't shot the mini yet on the ps90). If you're willing to go with a non-ps90 mount then I would go with whatever 5.56 can you would prefer for other hosts that you may have as well. Length, weight, and sound reduction are always a compromise. Of the full size cans I would go with a surefire socom or silencerco saker (I do not own a saker) over the m4-2000, but that is just my opinion. I own cans with both mounting systems (I have an sdn-6) and I prefer the surefire. I also like the saker's design and wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I needed another 5.56 can.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Jack,

Both will work fine. I'd always prefer to see you use a can with a direct mount rather than a QD mount on an adapter. A PS90 SBR adapter can be made with M10x1 threads to use the GT 5.7 can. FWIW I've fired quite a few full power 5.7 rounds through 9mm cans with no problems even on a P90. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have a gemtech multi mount, think it would be safe to use? Sure would make the overall package lighter than using my huntertown arms kestrel 5.56 Second question is where the heck you guys are getting subsonic 5.7 rounds, have been wanting some forever now......

·
Administrator
11,104 Posts
I have a gemtech multi mount, think it would be safe to use? Sure would make the overall package lighter than using my huntertown arms kestrel 5.56 Second question is where the heck you guys are getting subsonic 5.7 rounds, have been wanting some forever now......
You either buy the SB193s off of a seller here when they come up, or off of Gunbroker or some other site and pay a premium for them. I roll my own.

The SB193 are restricted by FN to LEO and Mil sales only due to the fact that it uses the same projectile as the SS190 which they have labeled as AP ammo.

·
Administrator
11,104 Posts
Jack,

Both will work fine. I'd always prefer to see you use a can with a direct mount rather than a QD mount on an adapter. A PS90 SBR adapter can be made with M10x1 threads to use the GT 5.7 can. FWIW I've fired quite a few full power 5.7 rounds through 9mm cans with no problems even on a P90. YMMV.
What 9mm can and what ammo?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
its been years since I have seen here and she still looks as good as ever - thanks for the pic of Chloe!

Mark from Tros is giving you really good advice below you might choose to PM him or give him a call. He has made so many different set ups for this solution your looking for and seriously everyone who has ever worked with him has walked away with nothing but a smile and a strong desire to only shoot suppressed. Good luck with whichever decision you make.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
The SB193 are restricted by FN to LEO and Mil sales only due to the fact that it uses the same projectile as the SS190 which they have labeled as AP ammo.
The SB193 does not use the SS190 projectile, it uses the 55gr Sierra GameKing projectile.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
I have the new sparrow in jail. Supposed to be heads over tails better than the old sparrow. Was released later part of last year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts