FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw one on the MPF technologies web site. They are relatively inexpensive compared to others? Is it as good as all the rails that are $100+. What us the main difference besides being made of aluminum vs. steel?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
I'd have to go check all of the other rails - but I believe everyone's rails are aluminum.

I have a Magparts rail. I have also handled rails by Critical Dimensions.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Steel is a bit heavier but it generally lasts a lot longer. If you do not take your accessories off , I would opine to get the aluminum.

-TH

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
I didn't even realize anyone was selling steel rails. As I said above - I thought they were all aluminum.... Hmm... Interesting...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Probably the biggest difference in rails is the ability to adjust the rail as with the FNH USG rail & ring sights. Due to the noted variations found in the receivers of the PS90 related to casting manufacture, even if you have a rail that is straight, there is no guarantee that the rail will be in line with the centerline of the barrel bore after installation. FNH did not make the Ring Sight & USG Rail adjustable for no reason, it is necessary for accuracy. Of course most optics have some adjustment built in.
Here's a peek at our new adjustable rails taken during fit & function testing prior to the military spec anodize protective finish application a few weeks ago.
These rails are fully adjustable using the same fastners as the factory ring sights and have milled back-up sights. They also have the proper material thickness needed in case the weapon is dropped to prevent damage that would result in the rail being no longer usuable. Watch for these to list for sale in a few days.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think the stock I bought from you, tqtran, is the one I sent out to pink coating for the Hello Kitty thing my wife is doing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Jedi,

Great question. The MagazineParts.com rail is the lightest on the market. Unlike the MPF rail, ours is hard anodized to military specifications. Hard anodizing not only gives the rail a great look, it actually makes the surface of the part stronger than steel.

There are also no adjustments needed for the rail to function right out of the box. All screws and tools needed for the installation are included. From what I've seen, my rail is still the only one on the market that takes the design of the P90/PS90 and incorporates its angles and curves.

Light weight, Durable, and did I mention it looks good? You be the judge

·
Registered
426 Posts
Another thing to point out about Optic Rails for the PS90 and something well worth considering, is that had the Ring Sight not been below the needed quality, there would be no need for replacement of the ring sight with an optic rail. The REM 2, available from M1P90, addresses the weaknesses of the ring sight and makes the addition of the REM 2 a viable option over total replacement of the ring sight with an optic rail. The REM 2 is also priced much cheaper than most optic rails.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's not really a matter of factory optic quality; Many owners of the PS90 find that they've already found a great optic that they like to shoot with, and without adding an optic rail, there isn't any other way to mount that optic.

The PS90's provided optic is great for an SBR and when used as a PDW, but to get the full effective range out of the weapon with the long barrel, many find that a magnified optic is the way to go.

The REM 2 will be available for ordering from MagazineParts.com here this coming week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think the stock I bought from you, tqtran, is the one I sent out to pink coating for the Hello Kitty thing my wife is doing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WAAAAYYYY OFF TOPIC:

Are you seriously getting one in pink? My wife would *LOVE* one in pink to go with her pink AK-74... and it would be just the excuse I need to buy a 2nd one! :?

Any details you can share?

Here's her '74:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts