FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently received my PS90-TR and was doing web research and found that there were 2 PS90 Trigger Assemblies. This thread, http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=24&t=217445&page=1 , from "arf" has a picture showing 2 different trigger assemblies as shown below:

When I inspected my PS90-TR's(SN 056XXX) trigger assembl, I was suprised that my trigger assembly looked like the first picture above, except with white plastics.

Can someone please explain if there really are indeed 2 different trigger assemblies for the PS90?

BTW, this is my first firearms purchase since 1996. I have an AR/AK/HK and the ease if disassembly of this rifle is amazing!

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Just a kind hint for you. I would walk away from this question very quietly...You have a hot potato in your hands.

I am sure you don't intend make it seem this way but it can be construed as a question about "full-auto"

·
Registered
95 Posts
tqtran said:
Just a kind hint for you. I would walk away from this question very quietly...You have a hot potato in your hands.

I am sure you don't intend make it seem this way but it can be construed as a question about "full-auto"
I think it is a fair question though, as I don't read any illegal intent. And if there is, no one here would help I trust. If my newly purchased expensive firearm appeared to either have an extra part or was missing a part, and it came from the store that way, I'd want to know why and to make sure I have what FN intended and the store didn't mess with it.

Yes there are two trigger packs. Most of the info in that thread is good. I don't know if the comments about the missing sear allowing an out-of-battery fire are true, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I would say you have the good one given this safety scenario.

If my answering of this is out of line, I hope the mods jump on me quickly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this "part" isn't supposed to be there, why is FN still including this part on NEW PS90-TR? Maybe FN found out that it does NOTHING to "enhance" the performance of the rife but rather is necessary for safety? If so, then maybe folks without the "part" should request the "part" from FN?

·
Registered
95 Posts
My understanding is that is was a leftover in the conversion of the trigger packs from their select fire cousins to the civilian version. Having it obviously does not make the weapon select fire. This is all loosely based on internet chatter, btw, so if you find out the real story from FN please enlighten us.

FWIW, both my PS90 and FS2000 have this sear.

·
Registered
980 Posts
This is the first I have heard of that part being removed from PS90s. People where talking on here awhile back about the FS2000 no longer coming with that part.

I heard in that discussion that the part is officially called the "forward sear". "safety sear" would be a good name too.

In a PS90 the forward sear (if present) serves the function of locking the hammer back until the bolt is closed.

In a P90 the forward sear serves the same function. When a P90 is in full auto the forward sear is the only thing controlling the release of the hammer.

Removing the forward sear makes it more difficult for a criminal to convert a PS90 to full auto.

I'm glad to have a forward sear in my PS90s and FS2000. It's safer. An out-of battery detonation could defiantly occur in these weapons, and that could be bad news, the round going off in the stock, an inch or two from your jaw and neck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EBRfan, Promoted Pawn, THANKS for the informative comments!

If I find out more about the "part" I will definitely share. Like the majority of folks on this and other boards, I like to share the information I find so neophytes and also veterans are able to find answers to their questions.

Like I mentioned previously, I took a 12 year hiatus on my firearms purchase. Every firearm that I own, I try to get to know the inter-workings of all the various components. I also try to find out the peculiarities of the variants of the particular firearm model that I own. This was the intent of my original and subsequent posts.

If it takes an email/phone call to the manufacturer to get more information, then thats what I'll do. If I have a "hot" part on my firearm and it needs to be removed to conform to laws, and if removing the "hot" part doesn't compromise safety, I'll gladly remove it or send the firearm back to the manufacturer for proper disposition.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I like knowing about this stuff too. Glad I could share.
If these rifles were under litigation we would know about it. Your PS90 and its forward sear are perfectly legal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was told that FN was asked to remove it to prevent persons with bad intent from creating contraband , I do think its a very neccesary safety feature in a bullpup to prevent an out of battery occurence

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So why is it still present an a NEW production rifle? I guess it wasn't "bad" enough to warrant a retrofit to existing, already built rifles or trigger assemblies before the got boxed up and left the factory?

panaceabeachbum said:
I was told that FN was asked to remove it to prevent persons with bad intent from creating contraband , I do think its a very neccesary safety feature in a bullpup to prevent an out of battery occurence

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trigger Groups

Now that the pictures are gone, how can I tell what I have. Can anyone send me the pics? I couldn't find them on AR15.com either.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum 1776.

Has someone done a "how to" with pics for completely taking apart and reaasembling a PS90?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've disassembled/reassembled a trigger pack as far as it will go. You can't strip it completely since one part is pinned. The forward sear comes out first, then the hammer. Both are easy and go back easily. The rear of the pack can be done with the instructions from the site that sells the trigger pull reducer. The only part they leave out is the drop safety and it's easy out and in, just need some needlenose to put the spring back in. Hope this helps as I currently don't have any plans to strip one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are no "objectionable parts"! The forward sear prevents the hammer from falling unless the bolt is fully forward. What are you trolling for?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts