FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally....good weather in NY....yesterday anyway....got to take my Green PS90 USG out for a test ride....Clear and bright no wind to speak of ...no problem seeing the black reticle at all....at 50 yards I had no problem knocking over a MGM auto popper almost every shot...I used SS195 that I got for 17 bucks/50......went through about 250 rounds no problems at all...no recoil and very quiet.....an all around fun gun to shoot.....I really like the way the empties just drop right to my feet, so they are east to collect.....now the next question......should I start reloading this round??????

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Glad U had a fun range session. It really is a kewl gun :)

As for reloading - I'm not a reloader myself, so I can't answer that...

·
Registered
36 Posts
should I start reloading this round??????
My personal feeing is absolutely. I ordered the dies and some components at the same time I ordered the rifle. Just have to make some empty brass out of the 195 I got.

My feeling is that given the small case size and low bullet cost that this round could be reloaded for well under a dime a round not counting brass.

Call it 2.5 cents for bullet with shipping, 3 cents for powder, 1.5 cents for primer. (I am not up to speed on primer costs so I may be off there, I have 20,000 left form a large purchase several years ago).

So, 7 cents a round roughly.

40 cents for loaded ammo, minus 7 cents for components (our cost) gives us a brass "purchase price" of 33 cents each.

The PS90 is rumored to have trouble with brass where the coating is gone. That remains to be seen in my opinion, but even if its true, let us say we get 4 loads out of brass in addition to the factory load. So, 33 cent brass cost diveded by 4 gives us 8.25 cents per use in brass cost.

8.5 cents brass cost plus 7 cents for components.

That's 15.25 cents a round for 4 reloadings.

That's $7.62 a box. Would you buy all you the SS195 you could get your hands on for 8 bucks a box?

If we get more than 4 loadings out then we are even farther ahead.

I am buying a Five Seven handgun. The handgun is reported to work fine with brass that has lost its coating.

So, if I aassume I get 8 loads out of brass, first 4 going to the PS90 then 4 through the Five Seven, my costs drop to 11.25 cents each or an average cost of $5.63 a box.

Now, I am set up for reloading already minus dies so I didn't have to include cost of equipment.

But for me, it's a no brainer to reload this round and do it in a big way.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TexasRifleman said:
should I start reloading this round??????
My personal feeing is absolutely. I ordered the dies and some components at the same time I ordered the rifle. Just have to make some empty brass out of the 195 I got.

My feeling is that given the small case size and low bullet cost that this round could be reloaded for well under a dime a round not counting brass.

Call it 2.5 cents for bullet with shipping, 3 cents for powder, 1.5 cents for primer. (I am not up to speed on primer costs so I may be off there, I have 20,000 left form a large purchase several years ago).

So, 7 cents a round roughly.

40 cents for loaded ammo, minus 7 cents for components (our cost) gives us a brass "purchase price" of 33 cents each.

The PS90 is rumored to have trouble with brass where the coating is gone. That remains to be seen in my opinion, but even if its true, let us say we get 4 loads out of brass in addition to the factory load. So, 33 cent brass cost diveded by 4 gives us 8.25 cents per use in brass cost.

8.5 cents brass cost plus 7 cents for components.

That's 15.25 cents a round for 4 reloadings.

That's $7.62 a box. Would you buy all you the SS195 you could get your hands on for 8 bucks a box?

If we get more than 4 loadings out then we are even farther ahead.

I am buying a Five Seven handgun. The handgun is reported to work fine with brass that has lost its coating.

So, if I aassume I get 8 loads out of brass, first 4 going to the PS90 then 4 through the Five Seven, my costs drop to 11.25 cents each or an average cost of $5.63 a box.

Now, I am set up for reloading already minus dies so I didn't have to include cost of equipment.

But for me, it's a no brainer to reload this round and do it in a big way.

WOW...you really did your math.....I'm in... I'm ordering my dies and shell plate tomorrow. I'm going to use my Hornady lock and load......
Have you decided on any starting loads yet????

Keep me posted on how you make out......

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Wildeye111 and panaceabeachbum are also a couple of 5-7 experienced loaders. Haven't seen them around much lately, though

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pressures

Does anyone know if any of the factory rounds are hitting the max pressure spec?

I'm no reloader, but I have a feeling some +P reloads wound be fine in a PS90, maybe enough extra oomph to push a 40 grain to 2500 fps. Being a military weapon I bet all the pressure specs are extra conservative and aimed tward longer weapon life then most of us need.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you decided on any starting loads yet????

Keep me posted on how you make out......
Yes, I did the math. Had to make sure it was worth investing in. Sometimes reloading pays off, sometimes not.

5.7 is a no brainer.

I don't even have the rifle yet, pick it up tomorrow. Then it will be a couple of range trips making empty brass out of the SS195 I bought, so in a couple weeks I will have a few loads and will have reloaded some brass 4 or 5 times to see how it holds up.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good luck with the reloading and let us know how the reloaded case cycle/feed in the PS90 without the lacquer coating.

How well does the USG reticle look when shooting 100 yd targets?

·
Registered
857 Posts
TexasRifleman said:
If you are already a reloader it makes senese. But for me, i would rather spend my time at the range or doing something else. It's difficult enough to find the time and desire to clean my guns.
Also - I have hear some horror stories about people reloading incorrectly and - Kaboom, so i will stick with factory loads for now.

Maybe i will revisit reloading when the kids get older and i have more time for my self.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts