FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone with a PS90 also have, or have you had, a Beretta Storm?

Before I got my PS90 I considered the Storm. I might have got one if they were offered in 10mm or .357 Sig. I was disappointed that Beretta never offered hi-cap mags. Initial reviews seemed good, but it didn't seem to catch on with law enforcement. I think they blew it by integrating the iron sights. From what I've seen, most sights won't co-witness with them.

The nice thing about the Storm is the price at about $650. On the surface the PS90 and the Storm seem similar in construction. Is the PS90 worth more than twice as much? How do they compare?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey SunsetSam

I don't have the PS90 yet, but I have the CX4.

High Cap Mags are available from some 3rd party manufacturers, at least for the 9mm Version I have. As far as the iron sights go, they are not the best thing on this gun, but they work. I thought about cutting them off, but decided not to, as it could weaken the reciever. The sights themselves can be flipped down, so they don't interfere with yout optics. The only thing that's a downside, are the sightprotectors, where the Iron Sights are in.

I bought my CX4 when it was brand new on the market, and got it with all the Rails for the front, a nice guncase and 2 Mags. Bought 6 more mags, and it was a quite nice setup.

At this point, I have about 8000 shots through my CX4, with Silencer and without. No malfunctions so far, no problems, nothing. I used it with EOTech, different scopes and other types of optical sights, and nothing was really obstructed by the Iron Sights. With my small 4x32 scope, I shoot 1 Inch groups on 100 yards with ease (standing). If any scope or other optical sight is on a bad position for your aiming style, you can most surely correct it with the stock spacers ;-)

If you have any questions, just ask.

regards

Reaper

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Reaper.

I forgot there were 9mm hi-caps. As far as I know there weren't hi-caps for the bigger calibers. I have a .40 S&W Glock, so I would have considered a .40 Storm. When they first came out the highest capacity .40 magazine was 12 rounds I think. I think you can get 17 round .40 PX4 mags now.

I was really wanting a more rifle like caliber for my rifle though. I think a 10mm Storm would be a awesome :D .357 Sig seems like it would be well suited to the Storm also as it would give you more power and a flatter shooting round than the 9mm.

Do you know of any other good Beretta forums besides berettaforum.net?

How much use does the Storm see in European law enforcement?

1" standing groups at 100 yards? You are a machine :shock:

What optical sights give you a 1/3 co-witness with the iron sights? If I recall correctly, you had to have a pretty low sight to co-witness. I didn't think an Eotech was low enough.

Is there anything you don't like about the rifle?

How is the Storm's quality?

·
Registered
205 Posts
SunsetSam said:
Thanks Reaper.

I forgot there were 9mm hi-caps. As far as I know there weren't hi-caps for the bigger calibers. I have a .40 S&W Glock, so I would have considered a .40 Storm. When they first came out the highest capacity .40 magazine was 12 rounds I think. I think you can get 17 round .40 PX4 mags now.
Dunno about the other calibers, but for 9mm, u sure can get larger mags. I even read about a Glock Mag insert for the Magwell, so u could use Glock 9mm Mags. possibly this thing really exists, or at least can be made, even for larger calibers.

SunsetSam said:
I was really wanting a more rifle like caliber for my rifle though. I think a 10mm Storm would be a awesome :D .357 Sig seems like it would be well suited to the Storm also as it would give you more power and a flatter shooting round than the 9mm.
Well, the only caliber I would also consider for mine, is the .45ACP, as it is a Home Defense / Sporting weapon. .357 SIG is nice, but too expensive for a weapon that likes to be shot with ;-)

SunsetSam said:
nope, sorry :-(

SunsetSam said:
How much use does the Storm see in European law enforcement?
Didn't see it, except with some italian Police forces. If you look at the length of the gun, it's design and Semi-automatic only design, you will see, that it's not too well suited for the LE market. Only application I see, would be a use as "Short Range Precision Weapon", like the FBI does with it's long barreled MP5s.

SunsetSam said:
1" standing groups at 100 yards? You are a machine :shock:
Nah, just experienced, and at the range twice a week ;-) All guns I own, are for use, and not display ;-) Recoil Force on the CX4 is really straight backwards, and there is no climb on the muzzle I could ever feel. Really a gun designed for accurate shots.

SunsetSam said:
What optical sights give you a 1/3 co-witness with the iron sights? If I recall correctly, you had to have a pretty low sight to co-witness. I didn't think an Eotech was low enough.
Don't really understand that question, seems my english isn't good enough.

SunsetSam said:
Is there anything you don't like about the rifle?
Well, yes, there is something. It really leads to exessive useage of ammo ;-) Seriously, there is only one point, and that's the way the sights are mounted to the reciever. Removeable Flip-Up sights would have been better, but Design was more important on that point ;-)

Well, the Charging Handle (Small little piece of Steel and plastic) will get some play in the Bolt Assembly, after like 5000 Shots, but nothing to worry about. The groove in the reciever holds it in place, so it could also be slight wear there.

SunsetSam said:
How is the Storm's quality?
Better than I ever expected. There is much plastic on that gun, even the hammer is plastic, but hell, that baby will not die in my hands. It has a buffer behind the "Bolt", just at the start of the stock part, that will absorb any force that could damage the reciever. The "Bolt" Assembly is one big piece of metal, and rock solid. The gun is fully ambidextrous, if that is important.

regards

Reaper

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
SunsetSam said:
We have a Beretta section at Handgun Forum. Glocktalk has a small beretta section, and AR15 has one too... Beretta Forum is probably the best, however.

As for the Storm, I almost bought 1 before I thought I could afford the PS90.

It is a nice gun and great size. I do not like the stock peep sights. They especially are hard to use in a dark indoor range when shooting at a black circled target (I've rented a STorm 2x there). I wish they'd put a cheap red dot on the rental gun.

One thing that would be nice would be if the plastic around the mag whole was molded higher. It's hard to get a nice push on the mag when inserting because of this.

Other than that, its got a great size and is very useful, especially with the hi cap mags :)

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Oh, I forgot to say - I'd swear that I've seen people on the Beretta Forum state that the cheap BSO scopes will co-witness really well with the stock sights.... You may wanna double check that, however.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reaper said:
SunsetSam said:
Don't really understand that question, seems my english isn't good enough.
The big thing with the AR-15 crowd is to have the irons visible in your optical sight. A true co-witness would have the red dot right on top of the front sight. A 1/3 co-witness would have the irons visible in the lower 1/3 of the optical sight so they obstruct less of the view.

Thanks for all the information. Your English is probably better than mine :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh, now I get it. You want to see the Iron Sights through the Optical Sight, so you coud aim with them when the EOS (Electro-Optical Sight) fails.

Well, the EOTech might be just a tad too high, but there would be a cheap and easy solution to that. Just by some kind of small riser mount. Getting the EOTech a little higher is better anyway, as the rail is quite low compared to the cheek part od the stock.

I mostly used high mount rings, and when there is a hole in them, I was perfectls able to use the iron sights, if I needed to. There are Risers with a tunnel through, that should work perfectly. (I have a riser for the EOTech, but without a hole)

regards

Reaper

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
The PS90 is the only rifle I own, so I haven't had a chance to see if I like co-witnessing something or not. But, try that BSA red dot maybe - they are less than $30 at Wal-Mart, or even cheaper at Cheaper than Dirt (but w/ shipping, U may not save anything)...

·
Registered
414 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Oh, I forgot to say - I'd swear that I've seen people on the Beretta Forum state that the cheap BSO scopes will co-witness really well with the stock sights.... You may wanna double check that, however.
Yup. They do.

I just recently sold my CX4 9mm storm to my buddy who couldn't keep his paws off it after shooting it . LOL.

I used a green/red BSA scope and it co wittnessed with the front sights very well.

I had a laser on the left front rail (set for 25feet), full length upper rail, mag spring mod, barrel shroud. One of the best looking carbines I've ever had.

Very accurate too, although I never shot it at extreme distances, only up to about 75feet.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I got both, but I just picked up my PS90 and have yet to fire it.
If I only could have one, I would go with the Beretta for 2 main reasons.
It's about 1/2 the prices and I can shoot it at my indoor range.
The Beretta is fantastic - very accurate, fun to shoot & I got a $30 BSA red dot from Walmart that cowitnesses with the irons.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, with the ammo cost, it is damn tempting. I wish Glock or Walther would come out with a similiar product. The 9mm Ars cost too much.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I shoot my Storm the most, since i can use it indoors and the indoor range is 5 mins from my house. The outdoor range is 45 mins - + it burnt down last week :(

It's just a fun gun - it's a great companion to a Beretta handgun since it will use the same mags - I plan on adding a PX4 soon

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
My indoor range lets me shoot my PS90 with 197 ammo, but its boring to shoot at only 15 yards. I've only done it 1x. I'd rather shoot at 50 or 25 yards.

·
Registered
857 Posts
That's cool - I'll have to check at my range but i doubt it
I think we have a 75 ft max distance which is 25 yds
that's far enough for me

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
ShipWreck said:
My indoor range lets me shoot my PS90 with 197 ammo.
Thats funny because my indoor range will not let me shoot SS197 because its VMAX and might hurt the back stop. :roll: They only allow me to shoot SS195, ironically it causes a spark everytime a bullet hits the backstop...so someone must not have done their homework...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hehe, sparks are cool.

I remember, when I got my first Full Auto gun (AK47).

We went to a range, that allowed Full Auto Guns, and there, we bought the cheapest russian surplus ammo he had. He said, that it was Tracer ammo, but that it should not hurt the backstop at all.

God, was he wrong :mrgreen:

After about 200 shots in full auto, the damn backstop started to burn like a christmas tree. :mrgreen:

He was so shocked, and just asked me, if I knew about tracer ammo, and if it really was that hot.

I just had a smile on my face, like I had never before, and said "Yes Sir, it's hot!" :mrgreen:

Good old times.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts