FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the standard M&P you have to remove the rear sight to remove the striker block/spring/retaining cap thing. On the CORE you DON'T REMOVE THE REAR SIGHT. Remove the mounting plate/cover for the optic. There's a separate retaining plate for the striker block, retained by a tiny .050" Hex screw (or Torx T5 will work in a pinch).

In case anyone was considering being as stupid as I am. :rolleyes:

P.S. Removing the rear sight is a stone cold beeyatch. Can't wait to put it back on! :th_bang:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well I got it installed and running but it was a huge pain in the butt. Safety wouldn't reset (trigger couldn't move far enough forward) so I had to touch the front of the trigger guard opening with a fine file (just a couple thousandths) so the trigger could return far enough. Trigger feels great though. Cut pre-travel from 7/16" to 1/8", and total travel from 9/16" to 3/16" (approximately). the worst part was installing the trigger spring 6 or 8 times. even with a slave pin it was very difficult on mine.
trigger pull weight was cut from about five and a half pounds to about four and three quarter pounds. The reduction in travel and the much better/shorter break and reset are the main benefits, though. I may try the OEM trigger spring to bring it down a little bit more .... after I work up the courage to reinstall the trigger spring again.

Put a couple hundred rounds through it tonight getting it sighted back in and getting a feel for the trigger.... it is like a different gun. the stock trigger I had to basically shoot it like a revolver and come all the way off the trigger during rapid fire. Now I find myself coming way forward off the trigger face for no reason. The reset is much better (I installed the RAM as well as the aluminum FSS trigger kit) and the short total travel is messing with me. By the end of the session I was back up to speed a bit.

I like it quite a bit. Thinking about having it quad ported now... dunno how much difference it will make with standard loads.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those intersted, Quick video of trigger pre-travel, total travel, and pull weight before and after Apex FSS installation in S&W M&P CORE 9mm. Includes shooting evaluation.

For full installation video check my other videos if interested. It's long and frustrating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts