FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here with experience using/owning one of the PTR91's? (H & K 91 clone.) I got intrigued with one at a gun show recently but didn't buy it. I'd love to hear your pros and cons regarding the rifle. :evil:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I can tell you all sorts of stuff about an HK91 or the Greek clone because I own them both. Don't know squat about PTR91. Haven't even seen one in real life.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
The HK versus the SAR difference is primarily in the lower receiver. HK made a very different lower receiver for the Model 91 so that it can't be interchanged with the G3. With the SAR, all the Greeks did was modifying the G3 lower receiver for semi-auto work.

Both guns are heavy, tipping the weight scale at around 9.75-lbs empty. Both have very heavy trigger pulls. Both have good mechanical accuracy when you can overcome the stiff trigger pull - can expect near 1-MOA with good hunting/match loads. Violent ejections that score the brass with the chamber flutings - the brass can be reused a couple of times at best before they develop splits. Extremely dirty chambers and bolt heads - hence the fluting of the chamber for better extraction, but clean everywhere else.

Rifle is not very long with the barrel just short of 18" including the flash suppressor. Abrupt recoil instead of a heavy push like the FAL.

From what I understand, the PTR has plastic lower receiver and many different options for barrel length, thickness and the same for the stock. Very reasonably priced for a newly made rifle.

·
Vendor
5,813 Posts
I have a G3 clone and a CETME and both get dirty. They are very accurate but make sure you use good ammo because it is a delayed blowback system and it gets dirty fast. The heavy rifle is good for the 308 so you can stay on target better. The charging handle is not reciprocating so make sure you use good ammo. The HK clones go for about $700 and the PTR goes for about $900.
ALSO!!!! The hand guards get hot when you fire 40 rds real fast. Be slow and accurate on your shots!!!!!!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
HK has the fluted chamber, IIRC. That ruins brass for reloading.

Reactions: stumblebum

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have real HK ,Vector pistol and a PTR Pistol.They are good as the real HK rifles,except in one area.The mags,some will work with both alloy mags and factory steel and some with only steel mags.Friends have PTRs.One works with both mags and one works only with steel mags.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I almost bought the PTR91Squad Carbine with the fluted barrel. Mags are around $5 which is nice. Decided on the Scar 17. Still might pick one up later on.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I've had several HK 91/93 and a cetme. I love to smack em around and love the looks even better BUT I hate cleaning them. The PTR GI in its current for is a good gun. The HK91 is made of better material but the fit and finish of the PTR is actually cleaner than any of the HKs ive owned. IMO if you want the best incarnation of this design, look for a MARS Cetme.

Reactions: stumblebum

·
Registered
409 Posts
I just picked up a PTR-91 last month. No problems and the trigger isn't that bad*.

Parts and mags are cheap, so stack 'em deep.

H

*After coming from the FS2000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts