FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for those who don't know, I'm a self-defense instructor and I teach karate and ju-jitsu as well. I also (on occasion) help people with firearms safety information, and have helped several people in learning to shoot.

My chief instructor and I have talked this over at length before, and I've relayed this same info to several friends as well.

With a pump shotgun being used for home defense, my recommendation is to not have a shell chambered. I have two reasons for this, one is a solid tactical theory and the other is funny, but still with some truth.

*) Since home defense can easily and quickly become a close-quarters battle, and since many people don't know how to engage the slide on a pump shotgun for the first shot, if it's wrestled away from you there's a much better chance that they can't use it against you.

*) There's not much more of a pants-****ting sound than the rack of a pump shotgun. While funny, there's some truth to this - just like the display of any weapon can possibly deter an attack.

:eek:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A shotgun is by far the best home defence weapons. It makes little difference if its a double barrel, a pump, or a semi auto. Most bad guys are not B&E your house looking for a fight. Thieves are cowards by nature. That being said, you should always assume that anyone breaking into your home is armed no matter what.

The tactical question is more involved. It depends on the layout of the home. Location of friendlies(family members). Number of targets that must be engaged. The will to Fight mind set. And last but not least, timing and proficiency with your weapon.

The sound of a pump racking a round might be intimidating but the sound that comes out the end of the barrel after the trigger is pulled is a life ender. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
devildoc said:
The tactical question is more involved. It depends on the layout of the home. Location of friendlies(family members). Number of targets that must be engaged. The will to Fight mind set. And last but not least, timing and proficiency with your weapon.
Thanks devildoc! I was going more for the "round in the tube" debate, already assuming the home defense weapon of choice is a shotty.

I posted this because a friend of mine recently asked me, his only gun is a pump shotgun. He wanted to know if he should keep one chambered, I said no for those reasons (mostly the first one).

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I choose my 870 synthetic 6+1 because it "sounded" the best when I "racked" it :twisted: . The Mossy and Winchester didn't sound as mean as the Remmy.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've also heard it might be a little safer for the small kids that can't rack a round, to keep the shotty without one in the tube if it's a bedroom gun. Not sure if this is true or not. Seems irresponsible to leave a loaded shotgun in the bedroom with small kids whether it has one in the tube or not.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The responsibility associated with a loaded weapon has nothing to do with if there is one in the tube or not. If you do not have control over your weapon, or the room it's in, you shouldn't have it loaded and it shouldn't be accessible. There are ways to store a firearm, fully loaded and ready to rock, while maintaining safety in the home. Magnetic locks, key locks, keycode locks and the like.

Anyways, as to the thought of having a round in the gun, my belief is the same for all weapons... if it ain't ready to roll, neither are you. One in the tube for any defensive weapon, that way when you go to a weapon, you know it's loaded. Besides, we're supposed to assume their loaded anyways right? For safety's sake.

We should maintain the safety zone and control over the weapon at all times. If you have a shotty that you use for home defense, it should be locked up when you leave. If you are at home and your shotty is unlocked, you should know who has access to it at all times. If you have children, it's your responsibility to maintain safety via any number of afformentioned methods.

As to the sound the shotty makes when racking the slide... I'd hope that the person would yell out "I've already called the police". As Doc mentioned, if they hear you called the police, they are most likely going to hi-tail it outta there, the sound of a weapon in the mix only tips your hand. If they decide that they are going to enter the area I've chosen to hole up and defend myself, they are dangerous, no doubt about it. No warning after the first one. They might hear the safety go off, but that'll be it.

Zhur

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I have the 870 Marine Magnum in the bedroom. But I don't keep shells in the tube or mag. I have a shell band on it though. I would go for the Glock first because it has the light and laser on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree that with kids that you should take extra steps to keep them safe.

One technique with a pump is to keep a shell chambered, then hit the release button and pull the slide back a little. The gun is now out of battery.

This adds one step to firing the gun. You must first close the slide to fully chamber the round. Then if you keep the safety on you must turn it off, then you can pull the trigger and fire the gun.

Just one more tool/option for your toolbox...

:D

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I agree with Madhouse, its more of a psychological matter when someone "racks" a shottie. Once the BG hears that they know what's in store for them and would rather runaway than go up against someone with superior firepower.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It should say... "If it's not loaded, Your not using it right"

hehehe

zhur

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think if your counting on sound effects to get the job done ya might want to try... oh I don't know... How about a chain saw or get a kujo?They're loud.

Seriously though, Yes I keep it loaded. Yes I keep it safe. Yes I keep it close. Not as close as my .45 ACP, but close. I don't count on "sound" to get-er-done. I also don't want to give away my location. The first BG that makes the mistake of entering my home will soon find out the fatal news of my location. The old "bang ching ching bang" kung fu.

·
Registered
265 Posts
devildoc said:
I think if your counting on sound effects to get the job done ya might want to try... oh I don't know... How about a chain saw or get a kujo?They're loud.

Seriously though, Yes I keep it loaded. Yes I keep it safe. Yes I keep it close. Not as close as my .45 ACP, but close. I don't count on "sound" to get-er-done. I also don't want to give away my location. The first BG that makes the mistake of entering my home will soon find out the fatal news of my location. The old "bang ching ching bang" kung fu.

Wisdom.

I'm not aware of any of the serious shotgun instructors who advocate not keeping a round chambered.

Relying on the psychological effects of the sound of a racked shotgun on a criminal, one who's possibly mentally ill anyway, isn't something I'm going to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts