FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read lots of good information about converting a PS90 to an SBR on these forums. However, I have not seen any information regarding buying actual P90's, meaning a fully-automatic short barreled rifle. I am interested in eventually purchasing a P90, and would like to know if it it is possible, and what restrictions/requirements there are. I am in Minnesota, if relevant.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
It is not possible. Legally, civilians can only purchase pre 1986 machine guns. The receiver must be from 1986 or before. As the P90 came out after that, only police departments and military (departments, not individual officers) can purchase a P90. Sorry. Blame the feds.

If it were legal, I'd have one too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This contradicts what I formally believed to be the law. Just FYI, I am not trying to argue here, I am just wanting to get some clarification / double check.

I was under the impression that the Class III NFA license, needed to own a short-barreled rifle/shotgun, was the same license needed to own a fully automatic weapon. I thought that my local gun store could sell the fully-automatic weapons it has to civilians, after going through the whole process outlined in detail for purchasing an SBR. Was I ill-informed?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not positive, but I think one of the distinctions is made prior to 1986 and made either in the US or Outside of the US.

But you need a law degree to fully understand all of the gun laws.

:cry:

FM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Esteves said:
Faust said:
This contradicts what I formally believed to be the law. Just FYI, I am not trying to argue here, I am just wanting to get some clarification / double check.

I was under the impression that the Class III NFA license, needed to own a short-barreled rifle/shotgun, was the same license needed to own a fully automatic weapon. I thought that my local gun store could sell the fully-automatic weapons it has to civilians, after going through the whole process outlined in detail for purchasing an SBR. Was I ill-informed?
The process of purchasing an MG is similar to that of purchasing an SBR, and the same forms are used. A license is not required order to own either, in many cases, but the tax must (generally) be paid.

The difference is that an SBR is an SBR is an SBR but the rules are not the same (or consistent) for MGs. The law changed in 1986 in a way that prohibited non-licensees from owning MGs that weren't already on the books 18 USC 922(o) http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html :
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.
(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to—
(A) a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.
Post-86 dealer samples came about as a regulatory ruling to support the practicalities of 922(o)(2)(A) and apply only to licensed SOTs and only if they can demonstrate the need for the sample (generally via a request for a demonstration from a department or agency.)

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/ is also a good resource.
Thankyou, that is where I had my confusion. I had done research on the National Firearms Act, and hadn't seen the 1986 set of laws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts