FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided not to attach a light to my FNX45 tac bc I do not fully understand its use. Lets say someone is in your house at night or your in a dark building. Doesn't a light give away your position? The gun has tritium night sights so its not needed to aim. If you thought someone was hiding in a dark corner or room can't you just light it up with the first couple shots anyway. I see the use if your a police officer who must be ridiculously passive in today's communist society in America and you need to see that gun in the guy's hands who is trying to kill you. But I mean just for an ordinary civilian in a self defense situation when would this light be of use? I can only see it as a disadvantage because everyone knows where you are and its also something to get snagged on your holster or clothes on the draw. I'm curious so I ask: people who have lights -why? Help me understand. Thanks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think your statement, "IF you THOUGHT someone was hiding in a corner"....is not a good reason to light it up with gunfire imho. Just a thought. While a light may give away your position, you've also blinded the other person at the same time. You really want to know exactly who you're shooting.

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
If you thought someone was hiding in a dark corner or room can't you just light it up with the first couple shots anyway.
I hope you live alone.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What they said ^ Imagine "lighting up" your neighbor's drunk daughter who stumbled into your house or broke in through a window thinking she was locked out.

I keep my SF X400 with DG remote switch mounted on my FNX Tac because I need it to be a one-handed grab and go affair. Personally just don't want to fumble for a light and/or risk misplacing it. If the threat is identified while entering or in another room, you're probably fine with a separate light, but God forbid you wake to someone in the room, you'd want it on the gun, and you'd want the gun within easy reach. Call me crazy (amd you'd probably be right), but I keep my FNX Tac WITH suppressor under the pillow (king size bed, shorter pillow under the top one) - muzzle pointed at the headboard, safety on, decocked, one in the chamber.

And I don't like the idea of a WL without a remote switch - I want to be able to flash then move.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
If you thought someone was hiding in a dark corner or room can't you just light it up with the first couple shots anyway.
This may be harsh but necessary; I cannot believe you actually posted this. Dude80 Many like minded idiots ended up killing their own sons or daughters while these poor kids were doing nothing more than trying to sneak back into their own houses after curfew.

What was that rule?? Ohh yea, know your target.

Ahh hell screw it! Go ahead Dude... just blast away into dark corners and hope for the best. lol:new3_sign_goodidea:

This cant even be real. Is he trolling us??

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What they said ^ Imagine "lighting up" your neighbor's drunk daughter who stumbled into your house or broke in through a window thinking she was locked out.

I keep my SF X400 with DG remote switch mounted on my FNX Tac because I need it to be a one-handed grab and go affair. Personally just don't want to fumble for a light and/or risk misplacing it. If the threat is identified while entering or in another room, you're probably fine with a separate light, but God forbid you wake to someone in the room, you'd want it on the gun, and you'd want the gun within easy reach. Call me crazy (amd you'd probably be right), but I keep my FNX Tac WITH suppressor under the pillow (king size bed, shorter pillow under the top one) - muzzle pointed at the headboard, safety on, decocked, one in the chamber.

And I don't like the idea of a WL without a remote switch - I want to be able to flash then move.
my grandfather always kept a loaded .38 s&w revolver under his pillow and I always thought it was pretty crazy. I'm sure this isn't likely but what if you had a really intense dream to where you grab th gun and shot it and accidentally hurt someone. I'm sure it's a long shot but I have pretty crazy dreams sometimes and would be a little concerned about having a loaded gun in a place I frequently put my hands in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
240 Posts
my grandfather always kept a loaded .38 s&w revolver under his pillow and I always thought it was pretty crazy. I'm sure this isn't likely but what if you had a really intense dream to where you grab th gun and shot it and accidentally hurt someone. I'm sure it's a long shot but I have pretty crazy dreams sometimes and would be a little concerned about having a loaded gun in a place I frequently put my hands in the middle of the night.
I definitely wouldn't keep anything without a safety + long trigger pull there. And it's just as far out of reach as it was before I got a king-sized bed when it was on the nightstand. Plus anything on the nightstand is risky - what if an intruder was unarmed until they crept in and took it? I prefer keeping my firearm close AND concealed day AND night. Possibly a bigger risk than "acting out" from a dream would be simply knocking it off onto the carpet, but after two years of keeping it there, it's never once been moved in the slightest. The lower pillow it's braced against is a heavy Tempur-Pedic - it's like a sandbag!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well I'm neutral in the discussion, I guess.

I know where all the light switches are in my house, I'd just use those. As long as there is power. I don't need to be ninja in my own house, I also dont like being shot either. Also my katana is missing the 1913 rail; but all actuality you don't need to have one hanging off of your weapon, either.

It is better to have one and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.

So you could always do the 1990-2010's flashlight gun stance, if lights hanging off the gun seem gaudy or impractical. Do the fore-mentioned style of shooting. I have 3 hand guns only 1 has night sites; so you can see the front and rear site but can you see the target? I have more SureFires than I need. Light and pepper spray fog go together real nice too. "it's Like a club up in my crib!" In reality you need to see a targets silhouette as well whats behind it-- also between you and your target, when using a firearm (in low light). GL, and if 2 dudes in ski masks break in anyones home and you don't have a daughter, they are there to rape the dog, call 911... don't shoot.

Reactions: BOOMSLANG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
See this is exactly why I posted this question. What great answers (and funny comments) thanks dudes! Yes visibly blinding the intruder would be an advantage I can't believe I didn't think of that and with a remote switch I could just flash it quickly and reduce the risk of giving away my position. I just learned in firearms self defense class that you can use the muzzle flash to reveal targets. I was not suggesting a situation where I hear a noise and then start lighting up the whole house room by room by firing. I meant like I hear a window smash or a loud bang at the back door, I poke my head out of my bedroom door and see the outline of a figure of a man wearing a mask with something in his hand walking down the dark hall and going into a dark room in the house. There are no children in the house but my wife is sleeping on the couch in another room and I have to confront the intruder to protect her I just can't sit and camp and wait for the guy to come to me. In this situation instead of using a weapon light I could retain the element of surprise and just use the muzzle flash to direct my fire in the dark. Rather than using a light, and the intruder seeing the light, and readying his weapon to fire on me. Yeah as soon as you have kids this idea goes out the window. In fact yeah using the muzzle flash to reveal targets does sound dumb. What the hell are they teaching us! I swear I am not making this s&*t up, that is what he said. I thought it was clever at the time but now hmmmmm not so practical in reality ... The guy is a former marine war vet maybe this is something he learned to do in combat, like when you know everyone you see is the enemy kind of thing ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't read those stories. I have read enough horrific tragedies. The last one I read was the old guy who shot his wife of many years with a 12 gauge by accident. No I would def have to identify for sure its a bad guy with a weapon before I would become aggressive with my weapon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys want to hear some funny ****? So first day of class the instructor says, "before we begin I want to make sure you guys know the lingo and nomenclature associated with each type of firearm." So he goes over the different types of firearms and the different parts of each and the mechanisms and actions and then like 2 hours into the class this lady raises her hand and is all angry sounding and says, "I don't understand the nomenclature you keep talking about, can you go over the nomenclature again?" So he goes over all the parts of a semi-auto again and she says all annoyed sounding, "I still don't get it, what is the nomenclature you keep talking about?" And he goes "I just told you I am not going to repeat myself again!" Then the guy next to her spoke up and it took this dude like 3 minutes to explain to this lady what the word nomenclature meant, she thought it was a part of a gun! I was shocked. That is when I learned how much of a blessing it is to have an education. I just thought I would tell you guys because I have no friends.

·
Registered
47 Posts
practice (safely unloaded) with holding a flashlight and going through your house, clearing rooms. Then go to range and practice shooting while holding the flashlight... more than a single shot. Once you actually try it you will see that having a light mounted on your firearm is a no-brainer - particularly for a pistol you have in your house ready for use; not talking about a (concealed) carry weapon. Weapon mounted lights are NOT just so you can make it look like you have cooler gear than the next guy. Then, after you are done with pistol, try it with a rifle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My fnx 9 is my bedside gun for now. Its equipped with a re d laser/light. I agree if I was to light up someone in darkness they would definitely be disoriented by the light long enough for me to get my shot(s) of to eliminate the target.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts