FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I came across an FN-FAL SA 58 made by DSA.

The owner has had the rifle for 15-20 years as best he recalls. So not exactly sure which model it is, but it is standard config with a fixed plastic buttstock and forend.

Looking at the rifle, it appear that the muzzle brake is blind pinned to the barrel, maybe silver soldered too?

Measuring the barrel length from the breech face to the barrel end (inside the muzzle brake), the barrel length is 16.25 to 16.5"

This seems odd to me; why blind pin a muzzle brake to a barrel that is already legal length? Why not just screw it on?

Thoughts?

TIA

·
Registered
475 Posts
That sounds very odd. Never heard of that before. If you call DSA with the serial # they can give you details of how it left their factory. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The OAL is more than adequate with the fixed buttstock, with any buttstock for that matter. No need for additional barrel length.

·
Administrator
12,192 Posts
What year is thr rifle? Could have been a requirement for the expired AWB. Could also be a requirement of some states to comply with their individual mini AWBs. Call them and find out.....

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Yeah my guess is it was part of a shipment that was headed for a state that had a ban on threaded barrels.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah my guess is it was part of a shipment that was headed for a state that had a ban on threaded barrels.
That is possible.

Actually, looking at the provisions of the AWB, one of the prohibited features, for a semi-auto, is a threaded barrel.

This rifle would probably have been manufactured/sold during the AWB.

Ok - that makes sense. I should have thought of that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here it is required so you can not replace it with a "Shut Her Upper" Silencer

The other day I came across an FN-FAL SA 58 made by DSA.

The owner has had the rifle for 15-20 years as best he recalls. So not exactly sure which model it is, but it is standard config with a fixed plastic buttstock and forend.

Looking at the rifle, it appear that the muzzle brake is blind pinned to the barrel, maybe silver soldered too?

Measuring the barrel length from the breech face to the barrel end (inside the muzzle brake), the barrel length is 16.25 to 16.5"

This seems odd to me; why blind pin a muzzle brake to a barrel that is already legal length? Why not just screw it on?

Thoughts?

TIA
Here it is required so you can not Simply/Quickly replace it with a "Shut Her Upper" Silencer, Blue Skies!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts

TIA
The age that you quote young grasshopper.....came from an age before you were born........during a time of great stupidity .....when the evil Queen and her stupid husband known as the Clintons-not to be confused with the popular Clampets Clan.........ruled the land from Atlantic Ocean to Pacific Ocean.........and the three wicked witches of California (Boxer-Pelosi-Feinstein) used their evil potions on the people of the realm to turn them into zombies addicted to government Dole for survival.......

From 1994 to 2004 threaded barrels were verboten per the long gone thank you ma'am AW ban! Old firearms were grandfathered. Newly made firearms with a muzzle device could not have functional threaded barrels. That's what you had to do if you wanted such a Christmas Ornament Bling hanging on the end of your barrel!

Unfortunately there are some three new wicked witches (AOC, Tlaib & Omar) and the Weekends at Bernie's outfit are fooling the nation that Biden is alive and breathing so they can continue to party on at the expense of the tax payers and our nation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The age that you quote young grasshopper.....came from an age before you were born.
I wish I was that young that I might not know about the AWB/etc., but I am old enough that I remember when the GCA came to being and the reason why.

The problem is that I am old enough that I easily forgot the small details of the AWB, including the evil features like a threaded barrel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a DSA 16" barreled fal from the awb era, it also has the brake and I was under the impression that the change was more because a flash hider was banned during the awb. I do not live in a state that cares anymore so I have a flash hider , just because I like options. There are tutorials on removing the brake if you are in a state where it is legal, or just keep it and you may have a gun with more value because people in states still with a awb will need it as you have it now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.