FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am currently running and AR15 with a VTACS sling, using QD swivels and I love the set-up. With a SCAR 16S in my very near future I want to run a similar sling. Knowing that Tango Down will soon be offering aluminum side rails with QD sockets, the front swivel is an easy fix. However, what are you guys doing for the rear stock? Here's my mock-up to install a QD socket on the SCAR stock. It will require that I drill one hole in the stock for the screw. Below are some pictures, as soon as I buy a SCAR I will install on the rifle and get more pics up. Total cost was under $15. The hardware came from Home Depot and I painted the washer and screw head FDE using Brownell's Aluma-Hyde 2. The socket came from Sinclair International. For those of you interested in these parts let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Initial Mock-Up:

Parts minus socket but showing screw, rubber bushing, lock nut and washer:

Socket installed:

Inside of stock showing washer and lock-nut:

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Looks good, now get it done!!!

:eek:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here it is! Finally picked up a SCAR 16 on Monday and today I installed the stock swivel cup. Looks great and the install was simple, except I had to modify the washer so it would fit inside the stock.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice!!! :shock:

Great job. :?

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
I dunno about this. If you sling the gun with the stock folded, the sling winds up on the ejection port side of the weapon in an odd place. I see it as creating a potential problem where one didn't exist.

But, hey, it's your weapon and as long as you like it, that's all that matters. :?

:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SgtStrykerUSMC43 said:
I dunno about this. If you sling the gun with the stock folded, the sling winds up on the ejection port side of the weapon in an odd place. I see it as creating a potential problem where one didn't exist.

But, hey, it's your weapon and as long as you like it, that's all that matters. :?

True, but no different then if you ran the sling through the factory top slot in the stock. I will do some testing with the stock folded but I don't think it will be a problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll contact FN and see if they have had malfunctions caused by the use of the factory rear sling slot. I've always figured the eyelets located at the rear of the action were more for the common single point sling (although I have seen 2 points installed this way). I would be surprised (if through all the testing the SCAR has seen) to find out installing a sling through the factory sling slot in the buttstock would cause problems. I'll be sure to post FN's response to this inquiry here.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
I guess you're not seeing what I see. I'm saying that I see a potential issue with a right side folding stock with a sling attached to the end of the buttstock.

As I stated, you like it on your rifle and that's fine. I think the factory attachment points at the rear of the action suit me just fine. I will not be utilizing the rear (top) FN loop provision.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made some improvements...
After installing the shorted socket from Sinclair International, I was still not happy with the height of the socket once the swivel was installed. It didn't cause any problems, but a more flush mount would look better. So I purchased this taller socket from AIM Surplus:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XMAG335&name=Magpul+ACS+QD+Swivel+Mount&groupid=57

This taller socket can be mounted and shimmed inside the stock body, and the amount of socket available can be adjusted if needed. As the pics below illustrate, I ended up running it almost flush, so the rubber buttplate works as a rotation limiter for the swivel. I am very happy with this setup now.

The install was fairly simple. Drill a hole through both sides of the stock, taking care to keep them perfectly aligned (I used a drill press for this). The bit size should be the same as the allen head bolt supplied in the socket kit. Now, using a Christmas tree bit I opened up the hole on the side where the swivel would mount, opening it up to the same size as the OD of the swivel cup. I simply shimmed the socket cup using a spare nut I had laying around the shop to the desired depth (which was flush) with the stock. Eventually I will make an aluminum bushing for this, once I have completed some testing and am completely satisfied with the socket cup depth.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
That looks better!!! :?

·
Registered
404 Posts
That does look a lot better. Awesome job. :shock:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Noveske has a flush mount QD swivel that mounts with a small square nut on the backside of a surface. This means drilling only a single hole, not all the way through your stock. I have one of these added to my Mesa Tactical stock on my Benelli M4. Works great.

Noveske RifleWorks, LLC.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Wow! That's really clean. Good job man!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree, your latest adjustment looks very professional.

I've come to like 2 point slings. Attached to the rear of the stock makes for easy transitions to the support side while remaining slung. Haven't tried those with the sling mounted at the rear of the receiver yet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, post from the past! Since we are here, after 2 1/2 years of use I can now say this socket-sling set-up are working great. Zero issues whatsoever. This combination gets used frequently and I have 100% confidence and am completely satisfied.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, post from the past! Since we are here, after 2 1/2 years of use I can now say this socket-sling set-up are working great. Zero issues whatsoever. This combination gets used frequently and I have 100% confidence and am completely satisfied.
Hi, do you have more info on the QD you purchased from AIM? The link is dead. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts