FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best 9mm 1911, . . that won't break the bank, that is?

I know that most people would say to just get the .45 caliber, but I really don't want to have another caliber to build up. :oops:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
I have shot the EMP, and the recoil is low. Nice gun - EXCEPT - the night sights that Springfield uses SUCK. There is no white circle around them. It has a silver circle - however, at an indoor range, you cannot see that fron dot at all (not dark enough to make the tritium visible, but too dark for the silver circle).

Whow ants to buy a $1000 gun and then spend another $100 for new sights (if there is even any other sights available for the gun yet).

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, . . . that gun IS quite pricey. . . . . . . but is exactly what I was looking for. I was interested in a carry weapon and didn't even express that in the OP, but am glad that you posted the links, TA! Just wish it were about $400-$500 cheaper, . . . . .but then I guess "you get what you pay for". However, I would be willing to sell a few of my guns to pay for one of those SA EMPs. :-?

Anyone else have something to offer?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Kimber looks good too. However, as a relatively small guy, I think the EMP size would be better for me to conceal. I'm just going to have to figure out how to save up enough money. . . . .possibly sell some stuff to help pay for it. That Kimber does appear to be very accurate. The extractor does concern me a bit, though.

Thanks for the help, TA! :eek:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think in this thread I may be more interested in a good carry size 9mm, . . . . having said that, it isn't a 1911, but seems to be "close" to that style. Has anyone had any experience with the CZ 2075 Rami? It has the metal frame and looks to be pretty concealable.

I've looked at the M&P and the Glock 26 (and a couple of other compacts), and have yet to see a Rami in person.

I have done some reading on the EMP, and where many sing praises to it, many have also talked about some of the FTF, FTE type problems with it, . . . though they all give it high marks on its accuracy.

I wonder how the Rami would do on accuracy? :-?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes, I too have read many of these complaints. The EMP I shot was right when they first came out. A guy at the range let me put a mag thru the gun. There were several feeding problems with the gun. 1 happened on the mag I shot.

They may have ironed some of the bugs out by now.

I like my P99c. If there was no P99c, I'd look at the HK P2000sk and the XDsc as options. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
151 Posts
If your looking for something you carry cocked and locked like a 1911, take a look at the HK usp compact. Variant 1 lets you carry it that way. I've got a USP in 40sw but I usally dont carry it in cond.1. ShipWreck's p99c is also a great choice.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes, I have a USPc 9mm, and it is a great gun. The grip is a bit larger than on that EMP - but it can be cocked and locked. I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking for something that I would probably not have "locked and loaded", but ready to go by chambering the first round. The odds of me ever using it for protection isn't really all that high to have one already chambered. . . . . . . unless I should rethink that.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Carrying a gun w/o a round chambered is a very bad idea.

A very realistic scenario would be to get robbed in a parking lot. If you are lucky - you may be able to feign going for your wallet and actually get your gun. Or, get your wallet and throw it down, and then grab your gun. You MIGHT have time to get the gun out. You will NOT have time to work the slide with 2 hands and also bring the gun to bear.

If you are nervous about a round in the chamber, get a gun with a manual safety that you can leave on (like the HK USPc). Also, DA/SA guns have the first shot in DA for a reason - so the 1st shot takes more pressure from the trigger (to avoid accidental firings).

All modern fire arms also have drop safeties that keep them from firing if dropped. Trust me - I have dropped a few pistols over the years. Never a problem.

·
Registered
412 Posts
+1 :?
Well said Ship!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I strongly agree with Ship on this point. If you are going to carry it, get trained and carry it with a round in the tube. Adding to what Ship said, you may be trying to fend off a person with one hand while trying to draw with the other.

There will be many many times when you are carrying and in close proximity to others. You won't likely see the bad guy coming from across the street announcing his bad intentions, and giving you time to react and chamber a round. What would you do in a restroom, in a mall, in a parking lot at a resturaunt?

Some people get used to carrying by just wearing the firearm around the house first, with the gun cocked and locked on a dummy round. After a few days you will find that the gun will not go off by itself. Then carry a live round until you are comfortable. Get training. Practice drawing and firing one handed safely. Carry a round in the chamber.

And you may want to give the HK P7 PSP's a look. They aren't cocked until you squeeze the grip. Very thin and small 9mm's. Good gun.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
There are alot of 1911's that are chambered in 9mm, here are just a few.

Les Baer - $1000 +
Fire storm - $400 +
Kimber - $700 +
Michell's Gold series - $1000 +
Para USA - $850 +
RRA Bullseye $1000 +
Springfield - $900 +
Taurus M1911- $700 +
Wison Combat KZ-9 - $1000 +

Remember you get what you pay for (Sometimes) and, as always, there are needs and then there are wants.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand what you all are saying, in terms of having the conceal gun in "ready to fire" status. I suppose, with the proper holster, the gun won't go off accidently. . . .and the hammer won't accidently drop on it.

What would be a good holster that would fit between the pants and my body? I'm not a very big guy, so concealment for me will be a challenge.

I'm still, even after reading some of the FTF/FTE posts (on other sites, like thehighroad.org), considering the SA EMP. I hope that I would be able to fine one that functions correctly, nearly all the time, like some of the more reliable pistols out there. The accuracy of the EMP is a big selling point for me.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Look at the compact S&W semi autos - the metal ones. Low recoil. They are a bit hard to find now, and U may have to order one. But, it is DA/SA with a safety - and would have about the same recoil as that EMP.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks ShipWreck. I definitely am looking for a metal frame pistol, so will take a look at the compact S&W pistols. The recoil issue is important for me. . . for quicker potential follow up shots, . . . but the accuracy issue is also very important. I have heard most people talk well about the accuracy of the EMP. I wonder how a compact S&W would compare?

The same could be asked about the CZ Rami, too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts