FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot my dad's 5.7 with the round trigger guard and it was great, blew away my Glock 17 in all areas.

I need some questions answered before i buy one. I work as a bodyguard and i like the fact that there are no manual safeties on Glock making it easy and quick to use. My question is how do the 2 models of 5.7 compare to a G17? Is there any manual safeties on the 5.7? can i carry the 5.7 cocked and loaded. which version would be better suited to my line of work.

I am a huge fan of FN. I first carried the P90 as a sheriffs deputy and just loved it being a lefty. I also own and FS2000 with an Eotech.

Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Take care and be safe.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
The round trigger guard is the earlier IOM version. You can only get the USG version now. It is also a single action trigger - sort of like a Glock trigger, I suppose. So, there is no "cocked and locked" on this gun.

Just pull the trigger and go. Light trigger pull.

There is a safety ABOVE the trigger - and you use your trigger finger to deactivate it usually. You need not use the safety if you don't want to.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
When I described it as a "Glock"type trigger - I meant that there is no DA/SA on the USG - it is a fairly light pull - consistent on every shot (like the QA trigger on the P99 as well). No, it isn't striker based. But, there is no external hammer, and there is no DA/SA. That is what I meant.

Every pull is the same. And, I am rather surprised at the # of members here at this site that advocate using the safety on a handgun (this came up on another thread recently). Unless the gun is a 1911 or a USP or something similar, and kept in the cocked and locked position, I don't feel it necessary to keep the safety on while carrying a handgun.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Let me add that for general protection usage, the difference between the USG and IOM for you will be personal preference.

IOM has a nicer grip(not as jagged as the USG).
IOM will cost you more because its OOP(Out Of Production)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I will be getting my 5.7 asap.

Take care and be safe.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ShipWreck said:
When I described it as a "Glock"type trigger - I meant that there is no DA/SA on the USG - it is a fairly light pull - consistent on every shot (like the QA trigger on the P99 as well). No, it isn't striker based. But, there is no external hammer, and there is no DA/SA. That is what I meant.

Every pull is the same. And, I am rather surprised at the # of members here at this site that advocate using the safety on a handgun (this came up on another thread recently). Unless the gun is a 1911 or a USP or something similar, and kept in the cocked and locked position, I don't feel it necessary to keep the safety on while carrying a handgun.
The FiveseveN USG is single action and it has an internal hammer. When you take off the slide you can see the hammer inside. It is actually pretty slick. That's why it has a safety. So basically, it is more like a 1911, when the slide is racked back to chamber a round this pistol is cocked and locked, and there is no de-cocker except pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well, my Five Seven is my nightstand gun in a gunvault. I'm not gonna want to deal with the safety. I don't keep the safety on for any of my handguns.

Granted, Glock has that supposed Trigger safety." But to be honest - leaving the safety off on the Five Seven is really no different than having a Glock. Neither gun has a heavy trigger. And, both have a drop safety.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well, I don't an open discussion. I am really rather surprised - because on most other gun forums, the majority does not use the safety unless it is a 1911.

I've owned Beretta 92s, I have my HK USP, and I have had many other guns with external safeties. I never use the safety. I keep my finger off the trigger until needed. When U are flustered in a real life self defense situation, I don't want to have to have 1 more thing to remember.

I too respect your decision - but I see it being no different than carrying a Glock, personally. I carried a Glock 26 for 8 years before getting my P99c. Maybe that is why it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also a magazine safety. :)

No magazine = no shooty.

If you're worried about the gun going off in your pants, just hit the mag release and let the tight-fitting mags rest in there. A small palm tap to the floor plate, and you're ready to fire.

I -always- use a safety, even when my guns are locked (action/trigger locks), or in the safe.

Also, my Five-seveN sleeps on my nightstand right next to me every night... When she's laying there, she's on safe... I don't want to roll over in my sleep and send a round through the wall. ;)

Plus, the Five-seveN's safety is in the perfect spot for me, as my trigger finger is my middle finger, and my index usually serves as stability (in this case that and safety) with handguns. It makes for a VERY quick safety disengage followed by a trigger pull. :arrow:

- CK

·
Registered
52 Posts
Some thoughts and a comment or two.

Most new 1911's require you to engage the grip safety and have the firing pin interrupt and is completely safe to carry w/o the safety on because the firing pin interrupt requires the trigger to be fully pulled back to clear it for firing. However they put a convenient downward motion thumb safety on the gun that is easy to get to if needed in a hurry. Guns like this were designed to be carried into action w/o safety on, safety was used only during a stand down of some type. A LEO might carry either way, depending where he is working.

S&W for some reason has its safety designed backwards of most automatic's requiring an unnatural upward motion of the thumb and tends to lead to a person carrying S&W autos with safety off as general rule from what I have seen and done myself. The also have firing pin interrupts and are safe to carry that way as general rule due to long trigger pulls in DA/SA those pistols with the combo safety and decocker. They are very hard to accidentally fire with the trigger when drawing with safety off, but not some pistols such as the 1911's or some DA/SA like Tanfoglio because there is no safe way to decock, thus you have a pistol with a 2.5 to 6 lb trigger pull just waiting for an accident.

When carrying CCW as in a non LEO or stealth military manor a pistol with safety really should always be on safe, unless you are in a rough area like maybe a city car wash early in am or some similar type of situation. In that case have the safety off and be alert, if at Wal-Mart in mid-day have the safety on to keepo your behind out of possible trouble. But if you walk across the parking lots of malls and such with it on safe, you might be better served with safety off if you have a lot of crime in those parking lots.

My S&W's DA's I generally carry off safe and I never carry my 1911's w/o safety, but I am not a working LEO, GI in combat zone or as general rule in dangerous areas that require for common sense and my safety were a gun on safe should not be carried.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If your carrying different weapons, some with safeties, some without, different locations for the safety, different holsters, maybe different holster types (ie. sholder, small of back etc), in a high stress situation, your going to have trouble reacting with your weapon properly.

If you like using a safety, by all means do so, but practice drawing, disengaging the safety, and stopping the threat (firing) and before you reholster always scan the area for secondary threats.

Your draw and safety disengagment should be as close to one fluid motion as possible, keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to fire. Re-engage safety and holster.

This should be practiced until its developed as a reflex, doing at home with an empty weapon in spare time will help you get to this point.

In a high stress situation your fine motor skills will be greatly diminished, if you practice like this and also practice magazine changes and tactical magazine change, this will help you if the time ever comes.

I always carry my duty weapon and off duty weapon on strong side, if I did otherwise, in a off duty encoutner I would by reflex attempt to draw from my strong side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts