FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some info. on SS198 green tip ammo.? It is listed on the FN web site as restricted L.E./Govt. only. Is the SS198 and kin to SS190?

·
Registered
520 Posts
If I am not mistaken, it is hyped up ss192, ie, it's a fast stepping hollowpoint. Anyone confirm?

·
Administrator
12,117 Posts
retired335 said:
Can anyone give me some info. on SS198 green tip ammo.? It is listed on the FN web site as restricted L.E./Govt. only. Is the SS198 and kin to SS190?
The SS198 IS NOT SS190 equivalent, but sales are restricted by FNH.

The SS198 is an after thought built on the SS192 round that was replaced with the SS195LF round. As both the SS192 and SS195 are enimic rounds, FNH came out with the SS198 which is essentially a SS195LF cartridge with a higher velocity due to the additional .2 g of Urenco ??? powder added.

SS190 'Duty Round' is designated AP and can be purchased by LEO/Military agencies only on department letter head. Not illegal to own on the Federal level. State laws may vary. Designated AP by FNH. It has a 34g projectile with a steel penetrator and a aluminum core. You may own it but expect to pay a premium price for it. I saw a box of 50 rounds recently sell on Gunbroker.com for over $600.00. Thats right folks, $12 a round.

SS192 - Standard round with a leaded primer with a 28g projectile. It is discontinued but there are sources out there that have come across some so it is available for purchase, sometimes at a premium price. Originally manufactured by FNH in Belgium and imported into the US. Production was halted in the 2006 time frame. Wildly sought after because of the leaded primer for shelf life durability. Available for sale to all.

SB193 AP Sub Sonic. Restricted sales by FNH. Designated AP. Why I do not know. It reportedly uses a 55g Sierra Game King projectile that is available for purchase by all.

SS195LF - Replacement for the SS192. Has a lead free primer and instead of the projectile having an aluminum core, it is said to have a 'metalic core'. Available for sale to all.

SS196SR - Early version of the SS197SR with the 40g Hornady V-Max projectile. Available to sale to all but limited availability due to it being replaced with the SS197SR.

SS197SR - All purpose Sporting Round with a 40g Hornady V-Max projectile. Available for sale to all.

SS198LF - A clone of the SS192/SS195 with a higher velocity rating. Still an 'enimic' round compared to the after market cartridges out there. SS198 is restricted sales to LEO and Military. It is available on Gunbroker.com for a premium price. It is not illegal for anyone to own and load the SS198LF into their 5.7X28 platform. Availability for non LEO/Military is via auction sites.

From the ATF webiste here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/fabriquen.htm

FN Herstal 5.7 X 28mm Ammunition

SS190 - Armor piercing (AP)
SS191 - AP Tracer
SS192 - Hollow Point (not AP)
SB193 - AP Subsonic
SS195 - "Green" - lead free hollow point projectile with copper jacket (not AP)
SS196 - Sporting round (Hornady 40 gr. V-max, hollow point lead), (not AP)
10700004 Blank (not classified as ammunition under Federal law)
10700005 Dummy

It should be noted that this information is old and out of date and is the result of numerous inquiries about the SS196SR round when it was introduced. The ATF has designated this round as NOT ARMOR PIERCING.

Baca Ballistics, a sponsor here, makes after market ammunition.

Elite Ammunition also makes after market ammo.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
SS198 is basically SS195 but faster? And that the only reason it's restricted? :?: Must have been some rule dreamed up by there lawyers.

·
Administrator
12,117 Posts
blkbd said:
SS198 is basically SS195 but faster? And that the only reason it's restricted? :?: Must have been some rule dreamed up by there lawyers.
Exactly. FNH restricts the sale of some of its ammunition to civilians.

Some say it was to appease the Brady crowd.

SS198 is a hot little round. I'd like to get myself 30 rounds to test in my firearms but I am not paying more that what SS195LF is worth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HK SD9 Tactical,

Thank you for the info. I did not know about the SS193 being considered a AP round.

Retired335

1 - 6 of 6 Posts