FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one AR with a rifle length gas system and fixed A2 type stock and buffer assembly. I have another M4 with the basic carbine length gas system and adjustable stock. My question is can one switch the buffer and stock assemblies between the two without effecting the cycling of either weapon?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a one AR with a rifle length gas system and fixed A2 type stock and buffer assembly. I have another M4 with the basic carbine length gas system and adjustable stock. My question is can one switch the buffer and stock assemblies between the two without effecting the cycling of either weapon?
Quick answer - yes. There will be a difference in cycling speed, compensating with the adjustable gas block should be possible. The question of whether you'll notice, that's tough to say - I run mid-length gas ports and have switched with both carbine and rifle length buffers without problems in operation. But I have noticed fractionally slower operation in using the rifle length spring/buffer in my mid-length. As a matter of point- these were Mil-Spec size tube/spring/buffer, not commercial. Not sure what size you're running...?

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
You should be able to run your M4 upper on your fix A2 lower and vise versa, the only thing that I could see problems with it is if your running a extra heavy buffer in the carbine set up or if the rifle barrel has a gas port on the small size.

With out knowing what manufactures setups your running, more than likely you'll be fine. I've run carbine uppers on fixed A2 setups before without issue.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
probably not an issue for you but on full auto, the rifle length gas system gets finicky with a carbine receiver extension/ buffer

·
Registered
415 Posts
We originally got in 7 M16s for our department, 20" barrels, fixed A2, etc. We stuck 16" carbine uppers on them and ran them with no issues.
the 20s didn't fit in our cars. I didn't try full auto on them since our FCGs were bad on these 7.
I just got 3 more rifles in and they are pristine. I'll stick 2 14.5" carbine uppers on two of them and a 10.5" on the last.

I am currently in the process of putting collapsible stocks on all of them so I can single point sling them all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts