FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've always had this problem with my FNP-9 that when I CC with it the safety will work itself to Fire...and I don't like that at all. I am using a leather IWB that I picked up off ebay, fits the gun perfect but for some reason whenever I'm driving or walking, if I randomly check 9 times out of 10 the safety is disengaged.

My questions are do I need to carry using a different type of holster?
Can the safety be swapped out with something that is a little more slim like the current FNS model lineup?
Or should I say goodbye to FN and try to find something else that works for CC a little better?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I haven't had an issue with my safety coming off with my Crossbreed Supertuck. The Supertuck is basically the same as the Alien Gear. However, the safety on the FNP's are a bit easy to take off, and aside from getting a custom lever made, there's not much you can do.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I could see that your holster might rub against the safety as you sit or p0ssibly bend over. maybe a molded holster would work better.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
A molded kydex one molded with the safety in the on position would keep it there.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
a good quality holster can make a big difference however personally in don't carry with the safety on anyways. as long as the hammer is down and the trigger covered, whats the need?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a good quality holster can make a big difference however personally in don't carry with the safety on anyways. as long as the hammer is down and the trigger covered, whats the need?
I feel better knowing that the safety is on if it's chambered. Just a personal preference.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the FN or if I want to try something a little more compact as I want something that is more for CC. When I'm sitting in my Jeep the FN really digs into my side.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
That is most likely due to the holster

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Digging into your side. I had a holster similar to that for my SIG P938 that hurt to sit while wearing it

·
Registered
364 Posts
Each is their own, but I recommend carrying a firearm that doesn't require anything other than point and shoot. It takes quite a bit more training if you are using a weapon that has a manual safety. It makes it harder to fire when doing so as soon as the barrel leaves the holster. I train to fire one handed with my weapon hand while pushing off with my support hand, then I take a step back and fire into a target at the low gun ready, take another step back and fire as normal. Two shots each time. This creates distance and it's harder for a criminal to hit a moving target. It's much faster when a criminal is right up on you (which is where a majority of them will be).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Please do not take this the wrong way, but you really need to purchase a quality holster. Before I learned that you get what you pay for when it comes to holsters, I purchased the one you have have pictured. The "leather" is very thin, so I found it very uncomfortable, and it is next to impossible to reholster your weapon one handed once drawn.

I have carried an FNP for years with a crossbreed and a raven concealment without the safety moving in either direction. You will notice a significant difference in comfort and functionality. FWIW, I carry round chambered, safety off.

It always amazes me when an individual pays $500 plus for a quality pistol, but scrimps on the gear to carry it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
None taken. I appreciate the insight. I'm new to gun ownership for the most part and still a n00b when it comes down it. Any info I can get to help me get to the right spot is appreciated.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you're carrying chambered/hammer down, then the safety is irrelevant.
Your FNP won't fire unless the trigger goes through the long DA stroke.
If you're carrying cocked and locked and then the safety comes off, then I'd worry.
On another note, there's a lot of 1911 owners that refuse to carry cocked and locked...because they're afraid of the safety coming off.
It all comes down to training and more training.
You have to train to gain confidence in the piece of equipment you're staking your life on.
That being said, I would still recommend investing in a quality holster.
Investing is a loose term however.
The Alien Gear is less than $30 from their site.

Aliengear Holster

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I ordered on for my Dan Wesson CCO a couple of days ago. I'll compare it to my Crossbreed Supertuck and Foxx holster.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I carry my Ruger SR40C in a appendix holster. The trigger is fully protected, BUT, the safety is exposed on the holster I wear 95% of the time. I do rub and bang into tables when seated, and my grandson is all over me. I too will find the safety on HOT. But i do not worry as the trigger is protected and the Ruger has a secondary trigger safety. If you practice safe gun handling I don't see a problem. I also will use a Sticky Holster from time to time and that cover almost the entire firearm. I never have as safety issue, but i still like my primary holster better. Sticky1.jpg Sticky2.jpg

·
Registered
440 Posts
Agree with the above, purchase a different holster. It sometimes takes trying several to find one that you really like, and the cost is a small price to pay for the confidence and security you acquire believing in your equipment. The above recs are all good choices.

If you are newer to guns, I would encourage you to look at making additional purchases and considering something more compact. You have a nice gun and people carry all sizes of weapons in many different ways, so consider some of the suggestions found here on the forum. I have always thought the Kahr PM40 was a great CC choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts