FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm with a women who what's to move to California again some day, probably within a couple years. I'm trying to talk her out of it. She is a great woman! My question is, do any of you guys that live in California know that if I was to get an FFL would I be able to keep my scar 17 stock with no bullet button, pinned stock and be able to have high capacity mags ( this implies to all my firearms). Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The answers are no, no, and no. You will have to install a bullet button, you will have to pin your stock, and you will be prohibited from owning or importing mags that hold more than 10 rounds. If this price is too high for you to pay, don't bother moving to CA.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that! We lived in Newport Beach in 2008. The weather is great out there. If the move does happen I will deal with it then I guess.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know the ratio of women to the number of Scar 17 rifles imported?

Might be easier to find a nee gal in a "free state".
Been together for 8 years, not going to just through it away because of a few sh!tty laws.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Im in cali, imho it doesnt make the scar any less amazing or incredible to shoot, if your the type that likes to do a 20 rd mag dump yeah it sucks but for range shooting its whatever. 10 rds is just fine, especially when bench shooting.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im in cali, imho it doesnt make the scar any less amazing or incredible to shoot, if your the type that likes to do a 20 rd mag dump yeah it sucks but for range shooting its whatever. 10 rds is just fine, especially when bench shooting.
The 10 round mags wouldn't bother me. It's a couple years away. I'm trying to talk her into Arizona but she loves Cali. California is beautiful, awesome weather! If it becomes reality I think I can deal with it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
just a note. 20 rounds is standard capacity for a scar17. commifornia restricts standard capacity magazines to low capacity ones.

my wife is from california we have been happily married for 15 years and if she decided we HAVE to move to commiefornia new york or any other tyrannical state she would be going alone...

i will live in a cardboard box under a bridge before i move to such a place

·
Registered
179 Posts
The answers are no, no, and no. You will have to install a bullet button, you will have to pin your stock, and you will be prohibited from owning or importing mags that hold more than 10 rounds. If this price is too high for you to pay, don't bother moving to CA.
It gets worse: If you own a weapon on the prohibited list and not already registered, it's an "evil" assault weapon and prohibited.
https://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

·
Registered
556 Posts
So if I own a colt 6920 with the restricted markings I wouldn't be able to bring that rifle to California?
If the lower specifically says "LE6920" then you're screwed. CA laws are so whacked that I own an LE6920 (that I bought 2 years ago) that doesn't actually say "LE6920", so I'm good to go. But you won't be.

You'll have to make some tough choices about what you value more, that's what it comes down to.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the lower specifically says "LE6920" then you're screwed. CA laws are so whacked that I own an LE6920 (that I bought 2 years ago) that doesn't actually say "LE6920", so I'm good to go. But you won't be.
My lower don't say specifically (LE6920) it just says Colts Law Enforcement Carbine with the Caliber and LE serial on one side and the Restricted markings on the other so I should be fine. I hope!

·
Registered
556 Posts
My lower don't say specifically (LE6920) it just says Colts Law Enforcement Carbine with the Caliber and LE serial on one side and the Restricted markings on the other so I should be fine. I hope!
Sorry, but I should have been more general with the "LE" part. The "Law Enforcement" part is also noted on the ban lists. The CA-compliant version of the LE6920 is stamped "M4 CARBINE" on the receiver and can have "LE" prefix serial numbers (as mine does). If your receiver is stamped "LE6920" or says "LAW ENFORCEMENT" it is unfortunately prohibited. The restricted markings, if by those you mean the "RESTRICTED MILITARY / GOVERNMENT / LAW ENFORCEMENT / EXPORT USE ONLY" stamp on the back side, that is a marking on older models of the LE6920 that came out of the national AWB in effect from 1994 to 2004 and has no bearing on current CA AWB laws.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I would never move to California. Many things nuts about that place besides gun laws.

Cost of living is one of them. Then the taxes...

Choice between guns or woman??? My answer: guns...

You can always be a tourist. Why the heck would you want to even leave Maine???

"Maine, the way life should be." Besides who wants perfect weather every day, that would be boring!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, but I should have been more general with the "LE" part. The "Law Enforcement" part is also noted on the ban lists. The CA-compliant version of the LE6920 is stamped "M4 CARBINE" on the receiver and can have "LE" prefix serial numbers (as mine does). If your receiver is stamped "LE6920" or says "LAW ENFORCEMENT" it is unfortunately prohibited. The restricted markings, if by those you mean the "RESTRICTED MILITARY / GOVERNMENT / LAW ENFORCEMENT / EXPORT USE ONLY" stamp on the back side, that is a marking on older models of the LE6920 that came out of the national AWB in effect from 1994 to 2004 and has no bearing on current CA AWB laws.
I guess I would be screwed with this rifle! Just bought it to. Like you said, tough decisions. It least I would be able to keep my scar!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would never move to California. Many things nuts about that place besides gun laws.

Cost of living is one of them. Then the taxes...

Choice between guns or woman??? My answer: guns...

You can always be a tourist. Why the heck would you want to even leave Maine???
Yes, the cost of living is high, when we lived there for 6 months in 2008 the rent was $3000 a month! Good thing I got us a pretty good discount because I worked on site. Believe me I like Maine and don't really won't to leave but my woman of 8 years has some health issues and can't stand the cold winters anymore. Maybe I can talk her into AZ,Texas. Florida is way to hot humid so I wouldn't even consider that. I can't stand humidity.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I guess I would be screwed with this rifle! Just bought it to. Like you said, tough decisions. It least I would be able to keep my scar!
Yeah, you would have to sell this particular Colt lower. It would actually fetch a very good price since I believe it is somewhat of a collector's item. You can still own an LE6920, you just have to make sure that you buy an LE6920 receiver that's stamped "M4 CARBINE" instead and you can bypass the ban list just like that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts