FN Herstal Firearms banner

Question about my SPR...

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  djv38 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I just bought an SPR and it is in a McMillan A5. It is not an A5M as it has a 24" none fluted barrel. I called FN-USA with the serial number and all they could tell me was that it was built in 2006. Just wondering if it is an A1 or A1A or something else? It has been hydrodipped in some sort of none slip camo material as the entire stock is nice and tacky. Supposed to have a Timney Trigger, it does have a Badger Ordnance 20 MOA rail and a Little Jimmy muzzle break.

Since it appears to have been put in the A5 post factory I am wondering a couple of things. It has the four round detachable magazine and I want to know if the TBM kit for 5 or 10 round mags will drop right in? If it started life with a different stock and now has the A5 I am wanting to know if the kit will work for me.

Also how can I tell what model this really is?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that may be an original A5. FN used to build A5 models without fluting IIRC. It looks like it has the flush cups for QD slings etc. which I think was an FN request on their stocks.
http://www.impactguns.com/fn-a5m-308-rifle-20in-fluted-75530-818513002790.aspx check the specks under the A5 section.

As to the TBM, it is supposed to be a drop in kit if it has the DBM and the DBM works. There's no real way to tell the difference between any barreled action as far as I'm aware. I could pull my A5m apart and take measurements/pics, as it is for sure a DBM A5m (which the TBM was made for).

#3 ·
I think that may be an original A5. FN used to build A5 models without fluting IIRC. It looks like it has the flush cups for QD slings etc. which I think was an FN request on their stocks.
http://www.impactguns.com/fn-a5m-308-rifle-20in-fluted-75530-818513002790.aspx check the specks under the A5 section.

As to the TBM, it is supposed to be a drop in kit if it has the DBM and the DBM works. There's no real way to tell the difference between any barreled action as far as I'm aware. I could pull my A5m apart and take measurements/pics, as it is for sure a DBM A5m (which the TBM was made for).

Thank you Dan. I was thinking it may have been either a special order without the fluting or an early model A5M. Built in 2006. Do you know when the A5 was introduced? Thanks for the info!

Sam

#4 ·
I don't know when that model was first introduced. The line was introduced in 2004, And I'm pretty sure the A5 came out shortly after that (2006 may have been the introduction year, not sure). I wish I could help you on exact date a little better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.