FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new 5 7 out with my dad today to shoot it for the first time. We shot 50 rounds of SS197SR with wonderful results!!! I haven't seen him grin ear to ear like that in a while!(he is also the one to turn me on to the pistol in the first place, thanks pops!!) Next we decided to fire some of the SS195LF and every other round would jam. I will try and go thru the steps; 1 pull slide back, 2 saftey off, 3 aim,fire and no round ejected or it would eject and the next round that was being chambered would get stuck or jamed . It was like fire jam fire jam and so on. tried all 3 mags then went back to the SS197SR rounds, shot 20 rounds no worries. Could it be the grain differance in the rounds? Forgive me for my igroance, I'm just a Ozarks country boy and I thought someone here might be able to help a brother from another mother out with this. I;m also 99.999% sure the weapon is NOT to blame, it's me or the rounds that's messin up. Thanks fellars

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stoneman, that sounds strange to me, as mine works fine with either ammo. The only thing I can think of is the bullet design, 195 LF is a hollow point and 197 is a balistic tip and somehow the HP is not feeding right. My thoughts would be to field strip the gun and look over the barrels chamber ramp, make sure its smooth as glass. I'm thinking there could be a burr or rough edge that the HP is catching on, where as the plastic tip of the 197 round is uneffected by. I'm only guessing, maybe someone else can shed more light on your problem. Take care, LM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I broke it down and the barrel ramp looked perfect to be i did notice very slight wear on the slide where I think the barrel has rubbed looked the guts through everthing looks fine. Any other thoughts my friends? PS thanks for the advice lightning man!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone has had a problem with ANY SS195LF please let me know. I'm wanting to go shoot again this weekend with friends. thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
i never had a problem with either ss195/197. i'll try to go through a check list if i were in your position.

if its a new gun make sure it is properly cleaned and lubricated. when shipped there could shipping debris in the weapon making it malfunction. make sure its broken in with a couple hundred rounds.

make sure its not shooter error. what i mean is proper grip and stance. make sure the magazine is seated properly and you're not limp wristing the gun.

if it fails to eject, could be and extractor problem, check the extractor and take a pick (even a paper clip will work) and clean any carbon off the breech face. also inspect for wear/damage.

if it fails to load, it could be a magazine, feed ramp, or ammunition issue. check the feed lips of the magazines, check the feed ramp, and check the ammunition for any sign of defects.

thats all i can think of right now. it is weird that it likes one round over the other could be she's just finicky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
only 3 comments with a 104 views, any ideas guys? Its saturday morning and here I am sitting looking at my $1,000 paperweight sitting on my desk holding my newspaper down while I get my trusty AK-47 out of the closet for some action on the farm today. Im going to take the Fiven&seven too but I doubt I'll get much shooting done with it.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
stoneman said:
only 3 comments with a 104 viewers, I thought this was an FN forum with help from experienced shooters,seems more like the mickey mouse club.Too much bragging on new toys around here and not enough honest help. Its saturday morning and here I am sitting looking at my $1,000 paperweight sitting on my desk holding my newspaper down while I get my trusty AK-47 out of the closet for some action on the farm today. Im gouing to take the Fiven&seven too but I doubt I'll get much done with it.
This has been a holiday week, and we've had much less traffic because of it over the past 2 weeks, Sorry you do not like the forum. If you think this is the mickey mouse club - then maybe you should go elsewhere.

I would have some other advice, but will defer it now. Asking for more help and commenting on the lack of replies is understandable. But I put a lot of work into the forum and do not appreciate the comments you just made.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stoneman, all the good ol' boys i know have quite a bit more patience than my 5 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter. 'Horse' gave great advice, did you follow it and then go shooting? It doesn't sound like it. Did you match the lot numbers that 'HK' gave you? Again i'm speculating but it appears that you are more concerned with ripping the forum and its members than being proactive. People have lives, it is a holiday freaking weekend, football galore etc etc. Even shipwreck replied despite his mother in law breathing down his neck! holy crap dude you joined up on the 31st of Dec. give it some time, or are the zombies out on the north 40 breaking down the fences?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'd suggest shooting the heavier 197 rounds thru it for the first 500-700 rounds. Break the pistol in. Then perhaps try the 195 rounds. 40 grains vs. 27 grains may have a significant effect on it's performance. Heavier bullets will result in heavier recoil, even if there is a slight differential in velocities. That's why I shoot the heavier 197 rounds.

Zhur

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Worst comes to worse man, contact FN to see what they may have to say about it but alot of the other board members have made some good suggestions. My Five-seveN feeds either round just fine man. I won't shoot the IOM so I can't comment about it. :?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I have tried all advice except; Zhur's advice and Iceman's advice. I will try their great suggestions this week and see how it turns out. And thank you Lightning Man, Shipwreck, horse9640, HK, iCeMaN, and Zhur very much for taking the time out to answer this thread. I will post later if I have success :) stoneman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like a dirty chamber

the 195 has a lot less energy, 200 fp vs 250 fp for the 197. If chamber is dirty won't feed. Use the chamber brush that came with the gun, powder solvent, then lube with breakfree, should work.

wasa43

PS, nobody here "owes" you a reply.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bought a Five Seven tonight when I went to the range to try out my new Kel Tec P32. Damnit, I know better than to go look at guns when I have no business buying another.

Anyway, I had the exact same issues. I got a box of 195 and took it into the range and it would fail to eject/fail to feed almost every single round. Took it apart and put it back together again, cleaned it as best as I could over and over again, etc... seemed like a spot of copper on the feed ramp where it was jamming, though I don't know if it's the problem or a symptom. Will take it back to the range tomorrow with some 197 and see how it goes.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
New member here. Took my new 5x7's out today and every one of the 195's jammed. None of the 197's. This was the case for both guns.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
xslice said:
New member here. Took my new 5x7's out today and every one of the 195's jammed. None of the 197's. This was the case for both guns.
Polish the chambers and see if that takes care of the problem.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Wow, that was quick!

The shells were from an FN "blue box" lot #FNB08H901-005. I have several boxes from this lot. Will try polishing chambers. What is a good method to accomplish this. I am a real newbie at this as you can tell. Bear with me if you may.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts