FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've installed the MITER on my SCAR 17.

The directions say to use a torque wrench and set it for 45-55 foot pounds, which I did.

Thing is, after cranking it on, it stopped eventually (before the torque wrench clicked) - won't go any tighter. I'm also not using a vice or anything, so I may not be doing this in the best of ways.

Could it be possible that it just won't go any further because it's as tight as it will go and my torque wrench isn't working correct? Or is it because I'm not using a bench vice and it really should be going further?

Forgive me if this is a really dumb question - I know jack about tools or muzzle brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
You really need to have the barrel secured to properly torque it, if it isn't and you don't use a smooth motion with the torque wrench you will get inaccurate results. As for you wrench it could also be part of the issue if it's a inexpensive wrench.
I would find a way to secure the barrel without damaging it and retry.

Reactions: Ferris2son

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You really need to have the barrel secured to properly torque it, if it isn't and you don't use a smooth motion with the torque wrench you will get inaccurate results. As for you wrench it could also be part of the issue if it's a inexpensive wrench.
I would find a way to secure the barrel without damaging it and retry.
That makes sense.

I guess the problem isn't the lack of a bench vice (I have one) - it's the fact that I don't have a way to safely secure the upper/barrel in the vice without damaging ****.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
There are a few ways to do it, this is just one way you could try.
I made a barrel vise with some hardwood I had laying around, add a leather liner to the hole that clamps the barrel surface if it begins to slip before you reach the torque value you need.
*Also make sure the front sight/gasblock assemble does not rotate into the jaws of the vise or barrel vise if it does spin in the block.*

Reactions: Ferris2son

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I just tried it again - I think I just wasn't cranking down hard enough for the click.

Set it for 50 foot pounds and cranked it down slowly and hard - it clicked.

In either case, it feels solid as a rock so hopefully it won't go anywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts