FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should probably be posted in the black rifle room, but since it is a supporters only room I wanted to open it up for more to comment on. If the mods think it is more appropriate there, please feel free to move it. I have one of these LR-308B. When I bought it suppressors weren't really on my radar screen. Now that I have a specwar soon to be released from NFA jail, I would like to use it on this rifle. This bull barrel model did not come threaded. My question is this, my LGS where I bought it from says they can thread it for $100. That is not bad, but I would really like to know about the quality of the DPMS barrels in general. Where do they rate say on a 1-10 scale as far as quality and accuracy goes. If these are rated towards the high end, then I would keep it and have it threaded. If they are below average then I would rather put the money towards a match grade barrel that comes threaded. This gun does not get a large amount of rounds through so I don't necessarilly need something chrome lined for high round count or low maintenance as I clean it after every session. Your recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I would rate your DPMS barrel at 5/10. Middle of the road. Definitely better barrels out there.

When I had a custom ar10 sass built it used a Bartlein stainless 5R barrel. Those are 10/10.

For or the money you'll spend improving your DPMS I would sell it and buy a SCAR 17. I sold my GAP sass and have never once regretted it.

it will outshoot your DPMS and is already threaded... You will need a muzzle device for the rifle anyways with your Specwar so that is a wash.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I already have the SCAR and will be using the suppressor on it as well. I am keeping the SCAR configured as a battle rifle with low power optic. The DPMS has my 4-16 scope on it and I use if for longer range bench shooting. I am just trying to decide if I am good enough at long range to head down the rabbit hole of spending a lot of money for better rifle and optic.

·
Registered
841 Posts
IMO - Your SCAR will probably outshoot your DPMS even with a battle rifle optic on it. Especially if you upgrade the trigger on the SCAR... that's probably the only thing holding it back from being a marksman quality rifle.

The DPMS is a fine mid-grade gun but it is what it is. If you really want a SASS style rifle then you could definitely upgrade the barrel, do a trigger job, upgrade the stock... by that time you've spent a lot and your SASS isn't really that much better than your SCAR.

Do you have a good bolt gun? Trade away your DPMS for one of the FN bolt guns and put your 4-16x on that. If you shop around used you can find them for a steal. I got my A5M for about half of retail.

But that's just my $0.02.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Build, or get another upper assembly.

Do some research on barrels, and how much your willing to spend on a quality barrel.

Since you want to do long range shooting, 24 - 26 inch barrel, heavy profile.

Reactions: Performify

·
Registered
600 Posts
Build, or get another upper assembly.

Do some research on barrels, and how much your willing to spend on a quality barrel.

Since you want to do long range shooting, 24 - 26 inch barrel, heavy profile.
This sounds like a good option as well, or another 17 If you just have to have a semiauto 762x51 maybe with a longer custom 22- 24" barrel. Now that would be Cool!

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Personally I'd swap out the barrel, I'd go with a 20" heavy profile under the handguard and .875 gasblock with a slightly heavy froward barrel profile or the .750 gasblock and lighter froward barrel profile.
I've built many setups off of the DPMS base, DPMS barrels are pretty good shooters but the barrels don't have a long life. 2K maybe 3K before the groups open up.
I've also found no real benefit with going to 24" over 20" in length so I stick with 20".

If you want to build off what you have I'd just rebarrel it with a Service rifle profile Krieger barrel.
M-110 Service Rifle

I sold off all my DPMS base builds after I went into the Knights rifles but here's a few I built.

This is a 16" GA Precision upper .875 gasblock and slightly heavy forward barrel profile matted to a DPMS lower.

18" DPMS Stainless Barrel

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have one of these LR-308B. When I bought it suppressors weren't really on my radar screen. Now that I have a specwar soon to be released from NFA jail, I would like to use it on this rifle. This bull barrel model did not come threaded. My question is this, my LGS where I bought it from says they can thread it for $100. That is not bad, but I would really like to know about the quality of the DPMS barrels in general. Where do they rate say on a 1-10 scale as far as quality and accuracy goes.
We can't really answer that question as we don't have your rifle and experience shooting it. Just as KAC could send out a lemon, DPMS could send out a Winchester '73. If it shoots well thread it and :x.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Oh, the Lilja barrel is a 3 groove rifling. :?

Hand lapped. And are the DPMS barrel extension, and head spce with DPMS bolts.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Oh, the Lilja barrel is a 3 groove rifling. :?

Hand lapped. And are the DPMS barrel extension, and head spce with DPMS bolts.

You get what you pay for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts