FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I know, WWII Russian rifles aren't really a "black rifle" topic. But I'm posting this question here since we don't have a non/FN section for classic arms.

So I've been getting into collecting older and rarer arms the last few years and I've been on a Russian kick this year. Already scored the Tula Hex Mosin I wanted and an unissued Russian numbers matching SKS. Now its time for the SVT-40.

Hard to gauge what a good price for a SVT should be. GB seems all over the place with prices.

Have any of you have bought or sold this particular uncommon rifle recently? Saw one at a gun show today in great condition, numbers matching, and nice deep cartouches in the original stock. Came with an SVT bayo too (i never see these). The guy wanted 1400 obo. Got his contact info while there. I'm not trying to insult him with a low offer, would 1200 be fair?

·
Registered
517 Posts
First off I am not good on prices and I am not an expert. I just have had a few over the years and have friends with several of them.

Second the value depends on several factors. Obviously all matching serial numbers are the best choice of any type of rifle.

The most valuable are the WWII vet bring backs. Good luck with that. Most of those would have been captured by the Germans and somehow made it to the US. Best way to tell is if there are no import marks, but that is not always conclusive. Also most of these that I have seen are pretty mismatched.

The Fins captured a lot too. They are usually marked with SA on the receiver. Most of these don't have import marks either and aren't as valuable as true WWII captured.

Then the most common are the imported ones. Most of these were rebuilt in Russia. They have a lot of mixed parts.

Things to look for are what flash hider they have and what stock they have. One that I have has an AVG stock (you can tell from the safety switch indents both sides near the trigger guard versus only one side on a true SVT stock). Most importantly check the barrel. I have had worn barrels and I have had bright barrels.

I like the 1941 model since it has grooves in the receiver if you ever want to add a scope. I don't know what year they stopped the grooves, but they did sometime soon after 1941.

A few other things, original mags work better than any of the aftermarket ones that I have seen. Get a gas adjustment tool, because since most of these are rebuilt you have to readjust the gas system. Oh and the bayonets are a whole other thing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well, I'm not crazy over russian stuff, but I'd love to get my hands on a M1903-06, or, if i ever get the money, a BAR. why isn't there a horny smiley face :idea:

·
Registered
409 Posts
$1400 is fair. The bayonets are around $200.00 or more. Any true non import will bring a lot more. The prices of these SVTs have been rising for some time.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks all for the input. Thankfully the SVT seller was located in a very low traffic area in a side room of the gun show. Talked to him this morning and he said he still had it. I offered him $1300 and he accepted so I should be picking it up tomorrow.

Yeah I saw that thread P-Factor, its from a couple of years ago and shows how much SVTs have jumped in price. They're getting pretty ridiculous. This GB auction ended last night and is nearly identical to the one I offered 1300 on, only difference is the one im buying is a wartime production 1944 which is apparently much rarer than 1940-1941 models.

Reactions: P-Factor
1 - 6 of 6 Posts