FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must have been good this past year because Santa graced me with a brand new scar 17 along with a few accessories. I have gotten into reloading some over the past few years as 300 blackout subsonic is hard to find and expensive when you do. I have done a lot of reading and searching on FN Forums over the past 6 months and have heard that 168 and 175 gr FGMM seems to be king for accuracy so I purchased 1,500 168 gr SMK HPBT and I've heard a lot of people having good luck with 4064 which i'm in luck and have 8 lbs of. I know every gun shoots differently and will need some fiddling with to find the perfect load for my rifle but I'm trying to find a good starting point that people have had good luck with shooting for accuracy not velocity. Yes I have a reloading manual and I know "always start at the minimum and work your way up". I'm just trying to get an idea what people are using with the 168 gr and 4064 combination since I don't have access to a close range I can just load up a few rounds and test them out. If you can share your load and a pic of a your group if you have it I'd love to see them! Thanks in advance for the help! Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shooting

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to add what primers are you using too? I saw the manual say that CCI #200 or #250. I hear a lot of people are using the magnums. Any preference and reasoning behind everyone using the magnum primers? Just because I have the #200's in hand but not the Magnums.

·
Registered
660 Posts
question on reloading for the 17S, 168 gr HPBT & 4064

I would take a factory FGMM 168gr round and use your Sinclair ojive checker and set your dies to that spec, then pull that bullet and weigh the charge. IMI 4064 is the factory powder so just duplicate that load - federal 215 primer and all including Fed brass. (look at my past posts and see what the factory load can do at 200yrds.) I haven't pulled any rounds yet since I have 2500 rounds yet to fire of factory Match ammo to get the charge weight but you can bet that with 1/4 moa accuracy that I'm not going to be reinventing that wheel come reloading time.
Congrats on the new CHRISTmas present too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
For high-power rifle competition using the M1A/M14 from 200 to 600 yards, the "recommended load" is 42.0 grs of 4064, Winchester large rifle primer, and Lake City brass. The universal attitude of gas gun competitors was to shoot this load and to not waste time experimenting. Of course, I just had to experiment, but I never found a better load for real-world use.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gentlemen thank you for input! I had thought it was around the lower end of the load that people were having good accuracy with. I do have some FGMM ammo and obviously it crossed my mind to just pull the bullets and measure the powder (and I probably will still do so for sh*ts and giggles) but I wanted to see what my fellow Scar owners were using with good success too if there was a better load.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha, thanks and not really. The wife is just very patient and forgiving, lol. The scope and bipod are on loan from my HK SL8-1 until I get the Nightforce 2.5-10 and an atlas bipod in the near future. Just ordered a Timney trigger since I have one in my 300 blackout AR build that I did and love it.
Very nice setup :th_thumbsup:, you must have been real good this year!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've had pretty good results with the 168gr SMKs and 42 grains of 4064. I've also had excellent results with 42 grains of re-15. I use winchester large rifle primers, but I have yet to use any other kinds to see how they compare.
With 168 grain SMK's I use 42.5 grains of 4064, Winchester LR primers and segregated R-P and Winchester brass in my 17S. I've also had good luck with 38 grains of IMR 4895.

·
Registered
660 Posts
haha, thanks and not really. The wife is just very patient and forgiving, lol. The scope and bipod are on loan from my HK SL8-1 until I get the Nightforce 2.5-10 and an atlas bipod in the near future. Just ordered a Timney trigger since I have one in my 300 blackout AR build that I did and love it.
Having patient and forgiving wife is a key ingredient for this gun disease thing. (I'm so blessed that my wife has the disease as bad as I do! :th_1074: )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.