FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as I've heard that the lower receivers on the scar's are plastic. Were they ever made of aluminum like AR's? Who makes steel lowers and why doesn't the Fde uppers and lowers not match in color? Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
The "lowers" are polymer
No they never were made of aluminum, no one is going to make a steel version, to heavy and it would be massive over kill.
There is no aluminum replacement lower that accepts the FN SCAR mag yet but soon to be released, there are a couple companies doing a lower that accepts SR25/308PMags, I'd do my research on them before buyng.
Anodizing aluminum which is what FN does for the upper is not a science and more an art, lots of variables will effect the FDE anodizing creating shades of the color. Anodized aluminum will never match dyed polymer either.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, an aluminum lower would be nice. I guess I'm just used to the all steel fal of days past. One thing that draws me to the scar is its lighter weight definately lighter than the old belgian fals I've shot. I'm not too crazy about the polymer lower though myself. I wouldn't mind having an fde scar 17 in the same fde color.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Thanks, an aluminum lower would be nice. I guess I'm just used to the all steel fal of days past. One thing that draws me to the scar is its lighter weight definately lighter than the old belgian fals I've shot. I'm not too crazy about the polymer lower though myself.
The main reason for the polymer lower was to meet the required weight limit in the request. The polymer lower isn't a stressed part and not easy to break.

I wouldn't mind having an fde scar 17 in the same fde color.
Sadly for most that will never happen from FN, only way to get that is to do it yourself. :wink:

Cerakote SCAR17

·
Registered
372 Posts
I dont have a problem with the polymer lower, I've had polymer AR lower break on the buffer tube connection area before, but I dont think that will happen on the SCAR because SCAR lower does not take any pressure. The only claim of the lower breaking is from Peruvian military's torture trail, apparently they still adopted the SCAR, so even the lower cracked, it must still have met their expections in durability.

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main reason for the polymer lower was to meet the required weight limit in the request. The polymer lower isn't a stressed part and not easy to break.

Sadly for most that will never happen from FN, only way to get that is to do it yourself. :wink:

Cerakote SCAR17
Now were talk'in, congrats looks good. Did that scar start out all black?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont have a problem with the polymer lower, I've had polymer AR lower break on the buffer tube connection area before, but I dont think that will happen on the SCAR because SCAR lower does not take any pressure. The only claim of the lower breaking is from Peruvian military's torture trail, apparently they still adopted the SCAR, so even the lower cracked, it must still have met their expections in durability.
Althrough the Peruvians put the SCAR through some rough test, their soldiers still can't seem to put an optic on right. (Sorry, I will embed the pic once I'm home on my computer)

http://www.armyrecognition.com/components/ebygallery/military_parade_peruvian_army_08_december_2009/original/assault_rifle_fn_herstal_scar_military_parade_188th_anniversary_peru_independence_day_peruvian_army_002.jpg
Thanks for the link Rad and info.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, no, no. You are missing it. It is meant as a disruptive pattern camouflage. The FDE is SUPPOSED to be all different colors to make it more difficult to spot.

It's true. I swear.

I read it on the internet.
Don't tell me your a French Model!

I personally like my mismatched fde/OD/clay/baby poo colored SCARs
I was thinking that about the baby poo also.

I am with you, they look great! I turned down some great offers on black SCAR 17s in search of my FDE.
It seems like the fde models are more sought after.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Hell, even after nearly thirty years of making M16A2, FN still can't match the anodized aluminum colors (some of the M16A2s have a deep red hue) much less plastic and aluminum colors.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm curious as I've heard that the lower receivers on the scar's are plastic. Were they ever made of aluminum like AR's? Who makes steel lowers and why doesn't the Fde uppers and lowers not match in color? Thanks,
Rumor has it the blemished scar parts get thrown together and painted FDE to cover the blemishes. FNH then cobbles rifles together with their left over blemished parts. Thus why they're different colors and less accurate than the black rifles. They weren't complete rifles with matched parts to begin with...

By rumor I mean I totally made that up. Love black guns, don't like brown :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rumor has it the blemished scar parts get thrown together and painted FDE to cover the blemishes. FNH then cobbles rifles together with their left over blemished parts. Thus why they're different colors and less accurate than the black rifles. They weren't complete rifles with matched parts to begin with...

By rumor I mean I totally made that up. Love black guns, don't like brown :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That must be why the Fde's cost more, what with trying to match all the mismatched parts. I've heard the black Scars are more accurate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts