FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Scar 17 and this forum. I don't know if this topic has been addressed, so I apolize in advance if it's repetitive.

I was hoping to take my Scar 17 out to do some hog hunting. Unfortunately, in California we need to shoot non-lead ammo.

Does anyone have any recommendations or success stories of what non-lead ammo (including the grain weight) works the best in the Scar 17? I do not reload, so I'm looking for the specific manufacturer and ammo name along with the grain weight of the ammo.

I'm concerned about the accuracy of the non-lead ammo. I would like the ammo to shoot relatively accurate (say 3 inch groups or better if possible) at a range of 100 to 200 yards.

I've tried some Hornady Superperformance GMX .308 165 grain and have not had good groups. About 6 inch groups, although I'm still working on that!

Do you think the lighter 150 grain ammo would be better? Does the Scar 17 with it's short 16 inch barrel like lighter grain ammo better?

As this ammo is so expensive, I was hoping someone could dial me in without having to try everything out there.

I would really appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks.

Shoot On!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I wish I could help you out but thus far I haven't shot any of the green/non lead ammo myself. Maybe someone around here will come along with the info your wanting.
Good luck on finding the ammo that your 17 likes and your hog hunt and Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I worked up a load for my 16S using Barnes 70gr TSX rounds (clone of the Brown Tip 5.56 Optimized). I'm in the process now of loading up something similar for the 17S. I tried Barnes 150gr TSX with decent but not super groupings, and I've got 130gr of the same loaded up now, but haven't tested them. I would recommend Barnes TSX or TTSX for your purposes. The bullets seem to group well for me, and expansion, in both water expansion tests and just recovering rounds from the berm have been very positive. If you don't reload, Barnes ammo sold in factory loadings, but I'll warn you, it's expensive.

5.56 70gr Barnes TSX on the left (water expansion test), .308 150gr Barnes TSX on the right (berm recovered rounds)

As a side note, the most accurate loading I have had in my SCAR 17S was with 165 and 168gr Sierra Game/Match King rounds. A lot of other people on here have reported their best ammo also being in the 168gr range. Not sure if that will hold true with Barnes solid copper rounds, but it's a decent place to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had decent accuracy (1.5-2.5MOA) with MK319 SOST ammo from my SCAR. There are a few reports of it working well on hogs, though I haven't used it yet.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
The Barnes VOR-TX ammo is the factory loading of their TSX bullet that I've used from America to Africa on a many different game species. The TSX bullets have never let me down. I have yet to take a game animal with a .308win. but that's besides the point. This bullet is in my opinion what you're looking for. I have tested my SCAR 17 with both the 150gr and the 168gr Barnes ammo. They both produced about 1.5 inch groups at 100yrds. But knowing how these bullets work in animals, and that they are not going to lose bullet mass (weight) like a lead core bullet as they pass through an animal, the sectional density of the bullet doesn't need to be as high as a lead core bullet to get a clean pass through on animals. I personally would shoot the 150gr bullets for a hog. The extra velocity will open the bullet better since these are one tough bullet (I've used these on some of the toughest hides in all of Africa) and that extra velocity will create a larger hydrostatic "bubble" in the animal causing much more organ damage and destruction within the animal causing a much quicker and humane kill. But if you go with the 168gr TSX bullets, you can't go wrong - they'll work like magic if you do your part and put bullet placement as your highest priority, that is right after safety. Safety always comes first!
There that's my 2 cents. :) Good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

I'll pick up some Barnes 168gr TSX and try it out at the range. I'll report back after I get to the range. It may be a few weeks.

Thanks again to everyone. Your knowledge is very helpful to a newbie like me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't see your post LeftHanded. Great info.

i think I will first try the Barnes 150 grain based on your insight. Something inside me tells me the lighter grain will be best.

Again, I thank everyone for the help. You have undoubtedly save me a lot of work and money and I can't thank you enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have hunted hogs in California with my SCAR 17s, using both Remington Copper Solid and Barnes TTSX, both in 150 grain. They both shot well from my gun, around 1 MOA. I took 2 pigs with each round, and extracted one Solid Copper and one TTSX. Neither round expanded as well as lead, but both were adequate, I suppose. I felt the TTSX expansion was a little better.

This is a 290 pounder I took with the Copper Solid:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whoa nelly Laid! That is one huge hog. Looks like a rhino. Very impressive.

And thanks for the info. It reconfirms my decision to go with the Barnes TTSX 150 grain

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I look forward to hearing your results Froman. I'm hoping the Barnes TTSX is the ticket for our Scars.

Thats a great price on the Barnes 150 grain too. I think I will also pick some up from them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts