FN Herstal Firearms banner

Question regarding M.I.A.D grip

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  scarfaceman 
#1 ·
I know this has been covered before but can't find the thread. I want to put a M.I.A.D grip on my 17s, do I have to modify the grip tang on the scar or could I just modify the dove tail on the back strap. Thanks for any replies.

#2 ·
Do not modify your the firearm and risk voiding your warranty. Modify the MIAD. It is very easy and takes a few minutes of a steady hand and patience.

This can be done using a dremel or asny type of rotary tool.

#4 · (Edited)
Grip tang on Scar. Just a little bit needs to be filed off. Try the Magpul grip without filing first.... It may fit on newer models. I had to file mine though. You can still use the FN grip if you want later on. It's kinda strange to me that FN didn't just make it AR mil-spec. If you used a good flat file and a quick pass with a blow torch you can't even tell that you sanded it down. Blow torch swipe is to get ride of that sanded plastic look. Though I am obsessive and no one would ever see the sanding marks but me.

EDIT: If you are only going to use that grip the members above me are right.....Better to modify the grip so you don't mess up.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, that's why I love this forum! Everyone is so helpful. I'm going to just try modifying the grip. I bought a dremel but it don't look like it came with a small enough bit to sand down the channel on the grip. I'll have to look and see if I can find one. Thanks guys.

#9 ·
I really don't understand the people who say to modify the lower instead of the grip. MIAD grips are 20-30 bucks, and are readily available in practically every gun shop you can think of. Hell, even the local turners' have the damn things in 3 different colors. Then there's the lower, which i could only find on one site for $135, and was out of stock. Needless to say, it's much harder to find. Then there's the fact that that modification may cause problems in the future if you wanted to change grips. Do yourself a favor, and modify the grip.

#11 ·
I personally think the grip tang is better. I'm an engineer though and gunsmith as a hobby. So I was never afraid to mess up my lower because I have all the proper tools. I prefer to have a rifle that can take a standard AR grip. If in the future some new amazing AR grip comes out I can install it in 5 mins. I personally believe FN screwed up....The engineers never tested other grips. After the production started they couldn't go back and fix it. That would mean admitting they messed up. So you call it a feature. Same thing with Sig's 556-551A1 that smashes the brass as it is ejected. Sig messed up the gas port hole. Sig Sauer USA reps say it's a feature! It's meant to damage the brass so the "enemy" can't use it to remanufacture bullets. I was like WTF!!! So I re-engineered the gas port and fixed the problem. Sig can't admit they messed up.

#17 ·
View attachment 23301 I just wanted to share my babies. I haven't fired any of them yet. Waiting for better weather. I did mod the grip tang just a little. It came out great. I wish I had a camera! Sorry for the iPhone pic.
Your kids are beautiful. Be a good mom and take care of them. I only have one baby like yours. Still saving for his clothing.... mmm... which color is the boy and which is girl?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.