FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I don't have my PS90 yet, but there is a question that I have:

Is it possible to easily remove the factory installed Flashhider, so you can thread the barrel to accept any Flashhider you like?

Wouldn't be a problem, if I had to cut it off, I just am not sure how long the "inner Barrel" is.

Oh, and shortening the Rifle is legal where I live, at least as far as the Flashhider question goes. I am actually not shortening the real barrel ;-)

Thanks for any input.

regards

Reaper

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Reaper said:
Hey all

I don't have my PS90 yet, but there is a question that I have:

Is it possible to easily remove the factory installed Flashhider, so you can thread the barrel to accept any Flashhider you like?

Wouldn't be a problem, if I had to cut it off, I just am not sure how long the "inner Barrel" is.

Oh, and shortening the Rifle is legal where I live, at least as far as the Flashhider question goes. I am actually not shortening the real barrel ;-)

Thanks for any input.

regards

Reaper
1. The barrel is inside a sleeve and is 16"
2. You cannot run the gun without the sleve because the barrel will flop around and it would not recoil inside the receiver
3. Although taking the hider off would still maintain a 16" barrel, it would cause the rifle to be shorter than the required minimum length. So if you live in the USA, it does not matter where you live, it would put the gun into illegal status.

If you do not live in the USA, the best option is to install the P90 barrel and sleve - aka SBR in USA (where proper paperwork and ATF permits and registration is required).

Cheers,

-TH

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, as I live in Switzerland, there is no Problem in shortening the Rifle at all.

My point is, that I will buy both barrels (Long PS90 Barrel, and short P90 Barrel), but want to be able to also mount a possible Silencer on the long barrel. Now, I already knew, that the barrel you see, is only the sleeve, and the real barrel is inside, but still, I can't see anywhere, how that factory Flashhider on the long barrel is installed. Is it an integral part of the barrel, or is it mounted somehow?

First thing I tried to get, was a LE P90 TR (fullauto), and that also wouldn't have been impossible, it was even wuite easy, as they deliver them to Switzerland, and I also have enough LE Connections to get one. Sad point there was, that they want you to buy at least 10 Guns, and that was a little too much for my budget and collection.

I hope there is a way to remove that hider without having to cut it off the shroud.

Oh, and does anyone know, how the PS90 performs, compared to the Heckler & Koch MP7A1? In terms of Accuracy, Handling, and so on.

thanks and regards

Reaper

PS: Also have the MP7A1, and hope, they differ a little, as I don't really like the accuracy and handling of the MP7A1.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I think it was U who posted on another forum - someone asked the exact same question. I posted a very long reply last night, so U'll have to forgive me for not typing it out again. But essentially, most people who short barrel their PS90 loose the long barrel in the process. FN made it to where it is nearly impossible to do what U say U want to do. You have to damage the long barrel just to get it out of the receiver, in order to put the short one in.

A FEW people have managed to do some drilling instead of cutting the barrel, but I've really only seen 1 or 2 people say they did it that way. EVeryone else just cuts the barrel. And, FN has changed the flash hider connection to the barrel I believe - I've seen picks of a minor outside change in the way it looks. So, they may have made it even harder to do this.

Sorry.

I GUESS U could have a smith work on the old barrel and thread it or crown it, and have a longer barrel than the stock barrel. But, it won't be the length that it was anymore.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, wasn't me who posted there, but the answer is what I didn't really want to hear ;-)

I was really hopeing, that FN was thinking something, ans allow the user to easily switch between the different barrels. That way, the shooter could decide on what barrel to use for the task he has to perform. Sad thing, but well, I will look deeper into that, when I have my PS90.

Thanks anyway

Reaper

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Ok, kewl.

Actually, FN went out of its way to make it a super pain to do that. Its too bad too.

If it were easier to keep the stock barrel the way it is, I'd consider short barreling mine, so it could be switched back and forth. For the money it costs in this country (with the govt fee we have to pay to short barrel it), it sucks to end up with only 1 barrel out of the deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Saving the stock barrel and shroud

Hey guys,

Wanted to let you know that if you mill a small relief on the back side of where the blindpin would come through, you can tap it back out. (Do not do this until your approved Form1 is back from the ATF and in your hands if you are a US citizen)

Then (and you might need to heat the shroud while cooling the barrel if it sticks) you can unthread the barrel from the shroud and keep it intact.

I had that done to mine, and can swap back and forth as I want. If I go one more I will have the 2 holes from the blindpin welded to fill in the material, and chuck it in my buddy's lathe to turn it down to match the rest of the shroud.

I also wonder if it wouldn't be fairly easy to make a new shroud that the barrel can thread into on the inside, and have that shroud threaded to 1/2x28 on the outside to accept and normal AR15 style flashhider.

Onyx

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I am aware of that procedure - but the agreed upon plan by most people is that you REALLY need to know what you are doing.

From what I've read on "the other site" and other sites where the PS90s are discussed, about 90% of people who are short barreling their gun are just cutting it. SUpposedly, its a lot easier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
SBR

Without a doubt, cutting the shroud and barrel would be much easier. If you have no access to machining tools, I doubt you could do it.

With a vertical mill it's not so bad. There is also a company called HDPS that can do it for you, and will charge you $95 if he can save your barrel and shroud, or $25 otherwise. http://www.hdps.org/htm/5-2-1.htm

I went with a local guy I trust, but most professional gunsmiths should have a mill and lathe, and a reasonable shot at doing it.

Just a FYI.

Onyx

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Re: SBR

OnyxSkyDV said:
Without a doubt, cutting the shroud and barrel would be much easier. If you have no access to machining tools, I doubt you could do it.

With a vertical mill it's not so bad. There is also a company called HDPS that can do it for you, and will charge you $95 if he can save your barrel and shroud, or $25 otherwise. http://www.hdps.org/htm/5-2-1.htm

I went with a local guy I trust, but most professional gunsmiths should have a mill and lathe, and a reasonable shot at doing it.

Just a FYI.

Onyx
I had not heard of that company - that's pretty nice. CMMG charges $100, and U do not get the long barrel back (I wonder if they use people's long barrels to make the short ones that they sell).

But, I almost would wish they can't save it - in order to get it for $25 :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Short barrel

You can certianly ask the guy at hpds to just cut off your old barrel and install your new one, and he will only charge you $25, but at that point, he's basically charging you to wrench ont he new one, and anyone should be able to do that after you've dremeled off the long barrel and shroud.

I heard tell that the stock barrel was chrome lined, and that cutting the barrel down was likely to cause the chrome to chip and flake at the crown where you cut it, thus not an option. But this was all read in passing, and I never heard of anyone who actually tried and failed.

Onyx

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just making sure here. Is the PS90 flash hider and barrel sleeve one unit?

I want to keep the 16" barrel for the added velocity.

I'd like to replace the flash hider on my PS90 with one that will accept a sound suppressor. Is that possible?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
SunsetSam said:
Just making sure here. Is the PS90 flash hider and barrel sleeve one unit?

I want to keep the 16" barrel for the added velocity.

I'd like to replace the flash hider on my PS90 with one that will accept a sound suppressor. Is that possible?
No. The flash hider is pinned to the end of the barrel. U cannot change flash hiders without changing to a 10 inch barrel.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I realize it is pinned. I was wondering if the flash hider and the sleeve were all one piece of metal.

If I'm reading Therm's barrel removal page right, the flash hider is separate from the barrel sleeve. Again, if I'm reading things right, what would be needed would be a custom flash hider that will thread into the sleeve and over the barrel.

Here is the barrel removal page:

http://ps90forum.com/Barrel.html

Who wants to make me a custom flash hider to accept a sound suppressor? :wink:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
If U are super good with a drill - U MIGHT be able to remove the pin w/o damaging the rifle.

As soon as U do, however, your barrel is shorter than the minimum length. U'd have to pay the $200 fee to the ATF and go thru all that before U start. Then, U might be able to find someone to thread the old barrel and hook U up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'M not going to drill it :D

Assuming the flash hider could be replaced, could a gunsmith replace the flash hider without you having to register the weapon as an SBR for the temporary time in which the rifle was under 26 inches?

·
Registered
24 Posts
(On drill out the pin) Just wondering, why couldn't one punch it out instead? Is is welded in or something?

I can't tell on mine--and don't really care to experiment.

ETA: I'm an idiot. I didn't see the first time that the pin doesn't go all the way through. :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
SunsetSam said:
I'M not going to drill it :D

Assuming the flash hider could be replaced, could a gunsmith replace the flash hider without you having to register the weapon as an SBR for the temporary time in which the rifle was under 26 inches?
If you take the hider off - the sleeve will come off too and the spring and then the barrell flops around and will not stay in the receiver since there is nothing holding it back from going inside the gun. The firearm becomes useless. Ofcourse, you COULD hand chamber ONE round and get it to fire - without any accuarcy - but that may be enough for the ATF.

Any reasonable person would deduce that the firearm is inoperable without the hider.

-TH

·
Registered
181 Posts
Therm, you've had the barrel apart, could the slots on the PS90 flash hider be machined off and what was left of the flash hider turned and threaded 1/2-28 so another flash hider could be pinned or soldered in place?

If you could add a suppressor to the 16" barrel I wonder if the rifle would function properly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts