FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone that is ex-military remembers doing land navigation as well as plotting a location using a map and grid etc. My question where the hell can you get actual maps we used in the military of areas we currently line in. Example I was stationed in FT. Hood, Ft. Knox, and FT. Irvin, but now I live in eastern Pennsylvania. I still got my protractor, and a military compass, but I can not find maps that we used while in the military for doing land naviagtion in my own area. I looked online, and I didn`t find anything even worth looking at. Is there a place the military gets grid maps?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
MGRS maps are hard to come by. I still have my Ft. Lewis map from PLDC that they used in the classroom. The best solution for you might be to buy a software package that allows you to print topographic maps of your area with the MGRS or the UTM/UPS grids on them. I think Delorme Topo will allow you to print with UTM/UPS grids. MGRS is an abbreviated way of representing the UTM/UPS system. In the M109A6 Paladin our fire control system computer would show grid's in UTM and we would have to convert them in our head as we tracked our location on the MGRS map. Not too hard to do. See this FAQ: http://www.maptools.com/faq.html#anchor5.4 If I recall correctly, you simply have to chop off the first 2 numbers (representing the grid zone) on the northing and easting and there's your MGRS grid. I love the simplicity of MGRS, but GPS technology has made life so much easier I have gotten away from the lensatic compass work except as a backup. Nothing like doing a resection to find your location. Ah the good ol' days. I would love to try Orienteering as a competition sport.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts