FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been contemplating to buy a 5.7 for some time now. A few days ago I decided that I wanted the 5.7 in my HD lineup, so I started to buy ammo....weirdly enough just hours before the FT. Hood shooting.

After hearing about that, I first thought of the victims from that day, as well as the victims from the shooting a few years back. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

My shift then went towards the the anti-gun activists looking to revisit the banning of the 5.7 with the HR 6685 bill ( https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr6685/text ), aka the PLEA act. Figuring that the future of the 5.7 is under such scrutiny, I decided to put a deposit on 5.7 MKII

My question is out of concern that if the 5.7 does get banned, the round will get banned also under the law. This poses a problem for 5.7 gun owners having access to ammo. Even though I am an active LEO, and would be devoid of this bill, it's just crazy that this could materialize in the future.

Are there any 5.7 owners out there that are concerned that this gun may get banned, and if so, have you been stockpiling ammo?

Any thoughts??

Dom

·
Administrator
11,355 Posts
If they ban the FiveseveN and the ammunition, that means that the PS90 and P90's will be banned as well as they use the same ammo. And there is an aftermarket pistol that uses 5.7X28mm ammo as well as an upper that goes on the SR15 lower.

So no, I do not see a ban on the FiveseveN or the ammo in the near future and for those of us that do own them, I suspect they would be grandfathered in just like machine guns were in 1986.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hey guys,
Even though I am an active LEO, and would be devoid of this bill, it's just crazy that this could materialize in the future.

Dom
I do feel if the anti-gun clowns get a new assault weapon law passed, the banning of certain guns like the PS90 and FiveSeven would be on it. The media calls the gun a cop killer & the government gets there facts from the media so......Probably banned. I stocked pilled up on 5.7 ammo a long time ago. So I've got LOTS of SS197SR the blue V-Max, about a 1000rds of SS195LF, and about 2500rds of SS198LF....Yeah I know it's LEO restricted but back then they sold at gun shows.....Probably an police officer "liberated" a bunch from work and sold them on the weekends. Especially since I think they were like 42 cents a round. Great price! Last time I checked they were like a $1 a round. Personally I wouldn't stock pile 5.7 ammo now because it ridiculously expensive. Hopefully FN ramps up production and we can buy it at a reasonable price. I alway find it funny when the media does a special on a gun or specific round. Tonight at 6 we investigate COP KILLER ammo and guns!!! If were a police officer I would be more afraid of hunting rifle cartridges. They will tear through a IIIA vest like butter and from a distance. Also if I were a police officer I wouldn't really be concerned about getting shot with a $1500 pistol or a $2000 rifle. The rifle or pistol shooting at me is gonna be a cheap .38, .25s, 380, 9mm, 40cal, or .45.

Also it doesn't matter if you are a LEO or not, if it's for personal use you have to follow the law. Just because you are a LEO doesn't mean you can break the law.....Unfortunately I meet too many officers that think that way. Don't be one of those officers Dom.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Right now gun control legislation has about a snowball's chance in Hell in the U.S. congress. And the GOP is not going to lose the House in November, so you have at least until January, 2017 not to worry about it.

If I were you I would be a lot more concerned about state-level legislation in New Jersey.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
In fact, I bet the next wave will actually be judicial overturning of some of the gun control laws passed in the last two years. For instance, even a completely liberal judge in NY tossed the magazine part of the SAFE act, for instance. As it wends its way through the courts, at each successive level it will encounter increasingly conservative judges. So the magazine ruling is likely just the start (I doubt the AR-15 ban meets the Heller standard, for instance). As goes the SAFE act, I think so goes some of these other unconstitutional measures. There is a reason the grabbers sound desperate right now: they are on the business end of a 5 on 3 power play, to borrow from hockey.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also it doesn't matter if you are a LEO or not, if it's for personal use you have to follow the law. Just because you are a LEO doesn't mean you can break the law.....Unfortunately I meet too many officers that think that way. Don't be one of those officers Dom.
I can't speak for the OP, but often when gun laws are passed, they commonly exempt law enforcement. I live in CT and the unconstitutional "assault" weapon and "high capacity" magazine ban that was passed about a year ago had a specific exemption for LEOs written into the law.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In fact, I bet the next wave will actually be judicial overturning of some of the gun control laws passed in the last two years. For instance, even a completely liberal judge in NY tossed the magazine part of the SAFE act, for instance. As it wends its way through the courts, at each successive level it will encounter increasingly conservative judges. So the magazine ruling is likely just the start (I doubt the AR-15 ban meets the Heller standard, for instance). As goes the SAFE act, I think so goes some of these other unconstitutional measures. There is a reason the grabbers sound desperate right now: they are on the business end of a 5 on 3 power play, to borrow from hockey.
those of us in CT and NY that still believe in the Constitution are hoping and praying this is just around the corner!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I can't speak for the OP, but often when gun laws are passed, they commonly exempt law enforcement. I live in CT and the unconstitutional "assault" weapon and "high capacity" magazine ban that was passed about a year ago had a specific exemption for LEOs written into the law.
That is likely to be challenged in court eventually, however: personal use exemptions for LEO likely violate the equal protection clause of the Constitution.

·
Registered
8,521 Posts

Brother -- gotta say, miss your take on things!! Stick around a bit will ya

·
Registered
876 Posts
That is likely to be challenged in court eventually, however: personal use exemptions for LEO likely violate the equal protection clause of the Constitution.
If a LEO is using a banned firearm while not working on the job that LEO is subject to the same laws as everyone else. Otherwise you would have LEO's being treated differently then the citizen that they are serving. While on the job, or while performing a job related activity the LEO can use restricted weapons. But if they are want to convert a weapon to full auto or an SBR that they personally purchased they are breaking the law. My guess is that there department wouldn't do a thing because they are part of the "brotherhood". Though the federal government can step in and arrest the officer under federal laws. Now if you show me a law that lets officers do whatever they want while not on the job or not performing a job related task for all lawful purposes, I will be the first to start "breaking the law" and doing the same thing. The constitution would allow me to do this because I have to be treated equally. There is no separate but equal crap.
I'm sorry I get so worked up about LEO officers. I've meet too many officers that are power hungry bullies and get away with it because....well they are the law and their word is Golden...I hate it when LEO's put a black band around there badge number.....it's just an excuse to not let the public know who they are. If I had to wear a name badge working at some department store I wouldn't be allowed to cover my name because another employee was killed. Think about it. The police aren't any more hero's then any citizen that does the same thing. Hate me for saying it, but I feel way worse when a gas station employee gets killed doing his job then a police officer getting killed doing his job. I deal with local police departments and fire departments since I have many friends in the communities. And I can say without a doubt firemen get the raw end of the public service deal. They truly put there lives on the line every day and truly save many people's lives everyday. While to officer in his warm cruiser watches the firemen free a human from a head on accident.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If a LEO is using a banned firearm while not working on the job that LEO is subject to the same laws as everyone else. Otherwise you would have LEO's being treated differently then the citizen that they are serving. While on the job, or while performing a job related activity the LEO can use restricted weapons. But if they are want to convert a weapon to full auto or an SBR that they personally purchased they are breaking the law. My guess is that there department wouldn't do a thing because they are part of the "brotherhood". Though the federal government can step in and arrest the officer under federal laws. Now if you show me a law that lets officers do whatever they want while not on the job or not performing a job related task for all lawful purposes, I will be the first to start "breaking the law" and doing the same thing. The constitution would allow me to do this because I have to be treated equally. There is no separate but equal crap.
I'm sorry I get so worked up about LEO officers. I've meet too many officers that are power hungry bullies and get away with it because....well they are the law and their word is Golden...I hate it when LEO's put a black band around there badge number.....it's just an excuse to not let the public know who they are. If I had to wear a name badge working at some department store I wouldn't be allowed to cover my name because another employee was killed. Think about it. The police aren't any more hero's then any citizen that does the same thing. Hate me for saying it, but I feel way worse when a gas station employee gets killed doing his job then a police officer getting killed doing his job. I deal with local police departments and fire departments since I have many friends in the communities. And I can say without a doubt firemen get the raw end of the public service deal. They truly put there lives on the line every day and truly save many people's lives everyday. While to officer in his warm cruiser watches the firemen free a human from a head on accident.
Nobody is a bigger critic of the police as an institution than me, but most individual officers I know are decent people doing a frankly pretty thankless job. As for the death of the gas station attendant or the cop, they were both human beings. I am as bothered in either case. They were both born of a mother and a father and more often than not their loss leaves devastated loved ones behind. We may wear labels that lead us to disagree about some things but we should never let that come between us as human beings.

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Nobody is a bigger critic of the police as an institution than me, but most individual officers I know are decent people doing a frankly pretty thankless job. As for the death of the gas station attendant or the cop, they were both human beings. I am as bothered in either case. They were both born of a mother and a father and more often than not their loss leaves devastated loved ones behind. We may wear labels that lead us to disagree about some things but we should never let that come between us as human beings.

Careful your our next post is 666!!!!!!! Spooky!!!! We are al people. We all have families, we all are brothers- sisters, parents and children-- and we all live and due and are accountable to god by the choices we Madeira we hurt or how we blessed people.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
If you are worried about the future of the round hoard ammo and save your shells in case you might need to reload

if they ban the firearm though I think there is still enough demand for the ammo that it won't be extinct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do feel if the anti-gun clowns get a new assault weapon law passed, the banning of certain guns like the PS90 and FiveSeven would be on it. The media calls the gun a cop killer & the government gets there facts from the media so......Probably banned. I stocked pilled up on 5.7 ammo a long time ago. So I've got LOTS of SS197SR the blue V-Max, about a 1000rds of SS195LF, and about 2500rds of SS198LF....Yeah I know it's LEO restricted but back then they sold at gun shows.....Probably an police officer "liberated" a bunch from work and sold them on the weekends. Especially since I think they were like 42 cents a round. Great price! Last time I checked they were like a $1 a round. Personally I wouldn't stock pile 5.7 ammo now because it ridiculously expensive. Hopefully FN ramps up production and we can buy it at a reasonable price. I alway find it funny when the media does a special on a gun or specific round. Tonight at 6 we investigate COP KILLER ammo and guns!!! If were a police officer I would be more afraid of hunting rifle cartridges. They will tear through a IIIA vest like butter and from a distance. Also if I were a police officer I wouldn't really be concerned about getting shot with a $1500 pistol or a $2000 rifle. The rifle or pistol shooting at me is gonna be a cheap .38, .25s, 380, 9mm, 40cal, or .45.

I can assure you any LEO with any knowledge about guns is not worried about pistol ammo. Shot a 20 Y/O 2A vest at point blank with several rounds, only rife made it all the way through. The Gun Grabbers just use it as a way to get peoples attention and make things seem worse than they are. Obviously people who dont know anything about firearms still get through the academy and take their bad ideas to the street and till believe the what the anti gun media has told them. Especially people from the east coast.

We can only use SBR's and Full auto if the department allows it, also if it is for work purposes. Some departments do not regulate this well.. and if some LEO is dumb enough to abuse that privilege, he/she is taking the risk of getting slammed into ATF prison. (not on my list of things to do). I cannot speak for all departments but from the people I have talked to the rules seem to be pretty similar. Aside from being able to carry concealed everywhere in the US, LEO does not get special privileges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No I do not think that way at all. I was only referring/ quoting a clause in the HR 6685 bill that specifically indicated that it would exempt LEO's. The point I was trying to make is that it would be a shame to have this gun banned for civilians. In fact I am under more scrutiny than the general public due to my job title. Honestly if I had to use my gun in a HD situation, I would be better served with using an off duty that I qualify to carry with. With the 5.7, and NJ gun laws through the Attorney General, the 5.7x28 round needs to be shot and qualified with every 3 months. All other handguns are semi- annually. Needless to say I have put ALOT of serious thought into my 5.7 purchase. Also...NJ has a 15 round mag capacity law, so for me I would be breaking the law by owning the 20 round mag. No worries....I appreciate your input.

Dom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts