FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was considering a SCAR 17S purchase, and options for optics, I got a lot of insight from the posts on this forum. After shooting my gun for a year, I wanted to offer my quick thoughts.

[n.b. I do not consider myself a particularly knowledgable or good shooter or hunter, but I love doing both, and have been shooting for 30 years. I also do not use my gear for HALO jumps or storming Libyan tankers].

SCAR 17S
I love the gun. I have several bolt actions, as well as many AR, AK and next gen platforms (ACR, MR556A1, MR762A1), and the SCAR is my favorite. I have put a couple thousand rounds through it, at indoor ranges, outdoor ranges to 600 yards, and 2 hog hunts, firing ammo ranging from cheap Magtech to fancy Barnes copper ammo. The guns has been totally reliable, accurate and robust. The weight is pretty decent for what it offers (but man the bolt carrier group is heavy). I don't really like the stock. It feels cheap and rattle-ey. The stock trigger was ok, but I put in a Geissele, which tightened up my groups. Although I do not pay too much attention, I seem to shoot around 1 MOA. Relative to what the gun was designed to handle, I am sure that I am not pushing it to it's limits, but it gets banged around in the field, and seems to handle my abuse without a hitch. It shoots out to 600 yards, easy.

As an aside, I do not particularly care for it as a hunter. At the end of the day, I have decided that I prefer a bolt action for simplicity and safety. I do not like to carry with a chambered round, and there is no way that I have found to reliably chamber a round quietly. Releasing the bolt while stalking is a non starter - it is too loud.

Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x
Love the scope, too. I have an Eotech/magnifier, two ACOGs, and several hunting scopes - and none of them compare to the Elcan. If you can afford it and still pay for rent, groceries and the 401k, the Elcan can't be beat. I haven't had any problems with point of impact shift, or the ARMS mount. Going from 1 to 4 with a lever flick is very slick. And 4x magnification has been fine for shooting steel out to 600 yards (which I originally was skeptical about). The bullet drop compensator has been good enough for my shooting skills out to 600 yards, using 150 grain ammo. The thing is built like a rock (although I did somehow shake loose the rear back up rain sight). The sight is heavy.

Other accessories:
Geissele trigger - expensive, but awesome. And not too hard to install.
Mako T-Pod Vertical Foregrip/Bipod - great complement for the SCAR, allowing for both a decent foregrip and a decent bipod without the whole thing becoming too ridiculous.

That's it!
-JD

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Nice write up!

The 17 is better suited for busting hogs for sure. They are tough creatures and most of the time you find yourself with a whole group of them in front of you. Best to anhilate as many as you can.

I agree that it is not the best deer hunting rifle. Bolt guns are lighter, quieter, more maneuverable, and purpose built. That being said. I still take my 17 deer hunting sometimes. Simply because... Why not? :-D

Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If i have a Spectr DR in black could i send it back to the manufacturer and have them change the color to FDE or am i stuck with the black ?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Nice to hear you really like the Elcan even though you have 2 ACOGs. I have been going back and forth between the two for my next major purchase.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
My only regret with the Elcan is I wish the lowlight red reticle was more powerful.
Nice review.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hog busting, indeed, KameronTKelly! Here in Cali, I don't quite have the eradication opportunity that you might have in, say, Texas. But we get some good hogs:

fnfhog.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spiked, the ACOGs are great, for sure. I have the 4x32 for both my Noveske 6.8 AR, as well as for my HK MR556A1. They shoot easy out to 600 yards, and they shoot great with both eyes open at close range. And the ACOG is built well, too. You cannot go wrong with either choice.

And by the way, I believe Eurooptic is running a 15% sale on Trijicons this month!

JD

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
When I was considering a SCAR 17S purchase, and options for optics, I got a lot of insight from the posts on this forum. After shooting my gun for a year, I wanted to offer my quick thoughts.

[n.b. I do not consider myself a particularly knowledgable or good shooter or hunter, but I love doing both, and have been shooting for 30 years. I also do not use my gear for HALO jumps or storming Libyan tankers].

SCAR 17S
I love the gun. I have several bolt actions, as well as many AR, AK and next gen platforms (ACR, MR556A1, MR762A1), and the SCAR is my favorite. I have put a couple thousand rounds through it, at indoor ranges, outdoor ranges to 600 yards, and 2 hog hunts, firing ammo ranging from cheap Magtech to fancy Barnes copper ammo. The guns has been totally reliable, accurate and robust. The weight is pretty decent for what it offers (but man the bolt carrier group is heavy). I don't really like the stock. It feels cheap and rattle-ey. The stock trigger was ok, but I put in a Geissele, which tightened up my groups. Although I do not pay too much attention, I seem to shoot around 1 MOA. Relative to what the gun was designed to handle, I am sure that I am not pushing it to it's limits, but it gets banged around in the field, and seems to handle my abuse without a hitch. It shoots out to 600 yards, easy.

As an aside, I do not particularly care for it as a hunter. At the end of the day, I have decided that I prefer a bolt action for simplicity and safety. I do not like to carry with a chambered round, and there is no way that I have found to reliably chamber a round quietly. Releasing the bolt while stalking is a non starter - it is too loud.

Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x
Love the scope, too. I have an Eotech/magnifier, two ACOGs, and several hunting scopes - and none of them compare to the Elcan. If you can afford it and still pay for rent, groceries and the 401k, the Elcan can't be beat. I haven't had any problems with point of impact shift, or the ARMS mount. Going from 1 to 4 with a lever flick is very slick. And 4x magnification has been fine for shooting steel out to 600 yards (which I originally was skeptical about). The bullet drop compensator has been good enough for my shooting skills out to 600 yards, using 150 grain ammo. The thing is built like a rock (although I did somehow shake loose the rear back up rain sight). The sight is heavy.

Other accessories:
Geissele trigger - expensive, but awesome. And not too hard to install.
Mako T-Pod Vertical Foregrip/Bipod - great complement for the SCAR, allowing for both a decent foregrip and a decent bipod without the whole thing becoming too ridiculous.

That's it!
-JD

That rear sight is know to me to come loose and fall off. If you do loose it, there is an Email and/or phone number at bottom of their page. I left my info, I did not hear back, however a free sight with extra screws showed up in my mail box within a week. I believe i called, no one answers ever that I remember left a message. Then I emailed with all my information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I contacted Armament Technology, the US distributor for Elcan, to see if they would replace the rear back up rain sight, Armament offered to sell me a replacement sight. So I contacted my retailer, EuroOptic, who convinced Armament to replace it under warranty. I only had to pay for shipping and handling. Seems fair enough to me.

Big shout out to EuroOptic!

-JD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts