FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cool. I hadn't seen one of these before. Beretta 92 with quick-detach Knight's Armament suppressor.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the slide lock. With subsonic ammo that would be a very quiet shot.

TA

·
Registered
356 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:

TA
I was just wondering what that was. I wonder a couple things:

1.) Who did that conversion?

2.) Can it be done on a 90-two (it's got the accessory rail)?

I have two 92FSs (one blued, one stainless), but want to buy a 90-two to trick out as my "tactical" gun. Wonder if that additional slide lock can be streamlined a little more, so it's less snagable?

·
Registered
12 Posts
FSCJedi said:
Texas Armadillo said:

TA
I was just wondering what that was. I wonder a couple things:

1.) Who did that conversion?

2.) Can it be done on a 90-two (it's got the accessory rail)?

I have two 92FSs (one blued, one stainless), but want to buy a 90-two to trick out as my "tactical" gun. Wonder if that additional slide lock can be streamlined a little more, so it's less snagable?
1. It looks like it is indeed a KAC conversion with their "Snap On" silencer that uses wipes. AAC made a beretta can that used a similar (maybe even the same) barrel and lockup, but it was a conventional baffled can. I don't think they make it anymore.

2. It could probably be done on any 92 series gun, but they haven't likely made them in a while and most definitely don't do custom work for individuals. I have seen one for sale once about 5 years ago, and it was $2,700. If you find one today for that price, it could probably be considered a bargain.

The KAC unit on the beretta is considered to be one of the quietest handgun silencers ever made when employed with the slide lock. FWIW, the slide lock is necessary because of the increased back pressure of the can due to its use of wipes. Conversely, a slide lock on a baffled can will likely make the can sound louder.

All in all, this is one kick ass but rare silencer and pistol.

·
Registered
356 Posts
tank said:
1. It looks like it is indeed a KAC conversion with their "Snap On" silencer that uses wipes. AAC made a beretta can that used a similar (maybe even the same) barrel and lockup, but it was a conventional baffled can. I don't think they make it anymore.
First, "KAC"? The quick-detach silencer for the M9/92FS (amongst other weapons) is still available and very popular, from what I understand. I was unaware that silencers were still being made with wipes. It was my understanding that wipes degraded accuracy and had to be replaced frequently, and baffles worked better anyway, so they became the standard. Is this not correct?

2. It could probably be done on any 92 series gun, but they haven't likely made them in a while and most definitely don't do custom work for individuals. I have seen one for sale once about 5 years ago, and it was $2,700. If you find one today for that price, it could probably be considered a bargain.
Was that for the whole setup (pistol, silencer, slide-lock conversion)? So if they don't do custom work, then a person would just buy the gun already set up like this (if it could be found)?

The KAC unit on the beretta is considered to be one of the quietest handgun silencers ever made when employed with the slide lock. FWIW, the slide lock is necessary because of the increased back pressure of the can due to its use of wipes. Conversely, a slide lock on a baffled can will likely make the can sound louder.

Why would a slide lock on a baffled can make it sound louder? This makes me wish I hadn't left my copy of Silencer: History and Performance back in the states... grrr...

·
Registered
12 Posts
FSCJedi said:
tank said:
First, "KAC"? The quick-detach silencer for the M9/92FS (amongst other weapons) is still available and very popular, from what I understand. I was unaware that silencers were still being made with wipes. It was my understanding that wipes degraded accuracy and had to be replaced frequently, and baffles worked better anyway, so they became the standard. Is this not correct?
The KAC (Knight's Armament Company) unit with wipes like the one pictured here is not readily available or easy to find for an individual. I am fairly certain they aren't even made anymore. Wipes do degrade accuracy, limit your ammo choice to FMJ, and need frequent replacing. As far as baffles working better, it totally depends on your application. If your application is one (or just a few) quiet shots at close range, wipes are tough to beat. The KAC unit is supposed to be one of the quietest and most innocuous sounding cans ever made for the M9. If your application is a long term can that has a serial number registered with the ATF that cost you $200 to transfer, won't degrade accuracy, be long lasting, and still work well, baffles are a good way to do it. There are companies in other countries that still use wipes in their cans. B&T is an example. I think wipes went away here because of the ATF ruling that individuals aren't supposed to have extra wipes and replacement became a pain in the ass. So, American designers went on to design the best baffled cans on the planet. I would love to have seen what the same designers would have been able to do with wipes. FWIW, KAC cans are absolute works of art. All stainless (blackened), crimped cone baffles, heat transferring welds between the baffle stacks and the suppressor tube, EDM-trued bullet passages, etc. Some of the quietest, best built cans in their respective classes. I'm sure the KAC wiped cans were just as good.

FSCJedi said:
tank said:
Was that for the whole setup (pistol, silencer, slide-lock conversion)? So if they don't do custom work, then a person would just buy the gun already set up like this (if it could be found)?...
For the KAC, it was the whole setup. When AAC made the M9 SD, you bought the can and their special barrel and used your M9 (but no slide lock).

FSCJedi said:
tank said:

Why would a slide lock on a baffled can make it sound louder? This makes me wish I hadn't left my copy of Silencer: History and Performance back in the states... grrr......
A slide lock increases the amount of gasses that the can has to deal with. In many cases a locked breach will cause an increase in the sound signature of a given baffled can (if all else remains equal). A can that uses wipes significantly increases back pressure, causing a very loud signature at the ejection port. Locking the breach forces all of the gasses to escape at the muzzle forcing them through the wipes in the can. So, a slide lock is not necessary on a baffled can, but is usually needed for a small volume can that uses wipes.

HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts