FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my scar 17 for hunting. It's compact and easy to move through thick brush whereas my bolt action hangs on everything. My problem is the noise factor. When I fire the scar without hearing protection, my ears ring. I shot a deer last year with it and it was brutal. I don't really wanna go the supressor route, even though it's now legal to hunt with them in AL. Will a flash hider or compensator help in the regard?

I've spent several hours reading on here and I'm still confused on this. I've looked at the AAC Blackout, brakeout 2, BCM mod 1 compensator. Will any of those help direct the sound more forward instead of around and back to me? If so, how much increase in recoil?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
You could go with a liner comp. That might help with the noise but it is still going to be loud. Griffin Armament had a new one out that I think would probably work pretty well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could go with a liner comp. That might help with the noise but it is still going to be loud. Griffin Armament had a new one out that I think would probably work pretty well.
Thanks Jeremy! Do you think it would help enough to be ok to shoot a round every now and then? Or am I trying to achieve something that's not possible without going to a supressor?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anytime you fire a gun without hearing protection your doing damage to your ears. Swapping muzzle device will mitigate the muzzle blast pressure to your person but the sound levels stay the same
Thanks! The pressure doesn't bother me. Looks like then my only option to lower sound levels or the felt sound levels, would be to get a supressor?

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Scar has become my main hunt gun, for the exact reasons you mentioned. I use electronic ear muffs, with wind screen and amplification. I'll admit though that I went that route before my Scar, but if you buy the right ones, they work great. I *usually hunt in a group and the ones we use allow you to tie in radio/walky talky.

I recently used a suppressor on my last wild hog hunt, though I used someone elses' Scar. We baited on that one though, so we were in blinds. I didn't get a chance to carry it far enough to figure out what it did to the balance or weight over long distances.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Scar has become my main hunt gun, for the exact reasons you mentioned. I use electronic ear muffs, with wind screen and amplification. I'll admit though that I went that route before my Scar, but if you buy the right ones, they work great. I *usually hunt in a group and the ones we use allow you to tie in radio/walky talky.

I recently used a suppressor on my last wild hog hunt, though I used someone elses' Scar. We baited on that one though, so we were in blinds. I didn't get a chance to carry it far enough to figure out what it did to the balance or weight over long distances.
Thanks! I thought about something like the earmuffs. What kind do you have? I may just go that route. I hate to dump the money into a supressor. Not only the price, but that will add some weight.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks! I thought about something like the earmuffs. What kind do you have? I may just go that route. I hate to dump the money into a supressor. Not only the price, but that will add some weight.
Pro-Ears Pro Slim Gold. I bought a pair for both my son and daughter as well, though my daughter is only into handguns, so I got her the full cup (30db). You are going to ask yourself whether to get the N battery or the surefire one. Battery life on the N is rated at 300, but they are harder to find. The surefire doesn't seem to last that long, from the complaints I hear :) Understand that there is a handful like them out there, so you aren't forced to get this brand, but since I'm happy, I'm will to recommend them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just can't see adding an additional 19.0+ ounces to the front of the rifle and the number of places you are allowed to use a suppressor to hunt is only now starting to grow. The can attached to the Scar I used was the surefire, but I can't remember the model.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just can't see adding an additional 19.0+ ounces to the front of the rifle and the number of places you are allowed to use a suppressor to hunt is only now starting to grow. The can attached to the Scar I used was the surefire, but I can't remember the model.
That's what has me hung up too. I'm not worried about where you can use it as I only hunt in AL. The weight is a hold up tho as well as the wait and cost to go suppressed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.