FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm curious if anyone knows what radios the SG teams are using in both these shows? They appear to fit in what is a standard military compass/first-aid pouch. Any ideas?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M1P90 said:
I just use the Midland "10 mile range" in The Vest Guys Vest. Works great!
How's it work around hills/mountains? I'm having trouble convincing myself that I should pay the FCC $85 so I can use the GMRS radios. :-?

·
Vendor
5,619 Posts
I find that power lines are the main problem. When I'm near a transformer or a big cluster of lines I have trouble. I haven't tried it behind big mountains but small hills are fine. They are cheap and worth a try. :?

·
Banned
328 Posts
I'm having trouble convincing myself that I should pay the FCC $85 so I can use the GMRS radios

Never heard of anyone doing that and every radio sold nowadays is GMRS.

I think they've used a variety of radios over the years over the years on sg1 and atlantis but it doesn't really matter - they're just props that probably don't even have batteries in them.

I use the small motorola ones in my vest and/or vehicles but I generally don't need to communicate over great distances. I sometimes use a throat mic/earpiece which makes it much easier to hear and talk in loud environments and drastically reduces battery consumption.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kanthek said:
I'm having trouble convincing myself that I should pay the FCC $85 so I can use the GMRS radios

Never heard of anyone doing that and every radio sold nowadays is GMRS.

I think they've used a variety of radios over the years over the years on sg1 and atlantis but it doesn't really matter - they're just props that probably don't even have batteries in them.

I use the small motorola ones in my vest and/or vehicles but I generally don't need to communicate over great distances. I sometimes use a throat mic/earpiece which makes it much easier to hear and talk in loud environments and drastically reduces battery consumption.
I was curious about this because under several of the descriptions about the radios it says "liscensing required" about the GMRS types. *shrug*

I probably don't need to be able to talk over 25 miles* (*in ideal conditions) either, but that would give me a better chance at being able to talk for a few miles in less than idea conditions (such as in the mountains here on post or back home in WV).

I have been interested in the throat mics for a while. You say they (in conjunction with an ear piece) help with battery life? How so?

·
Banned
328 Posts
I have been interested in the throat mics for a while. You say they (in conjunction with an ear piece) help with battery life? How so?

I had one radio with the throat mic on it and another without. The one without ran through two sets of batteries before the first one ran out. I assume this is because the power required to drive an earpiece is much lower than for a speaker. So the throat mic part didn't really help - any listening accessory would do the same.

I like the throat mic - It really does work although positioning is key to its performance. You get it on the wrong place on your neck and your voice gets garbled. The only other downside - those talk confirmation tones that most consumer grade radios spit out after each transmission are way louder than the person's voice and I end up having to harass everyone in my group to turn that option off.

Oh yeah and VOX is absolutely worthless for anything other than novelty use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The radios used in SG1 were the Motorola Visar radios.
In the later seasons they changed the radios to the Talkabout series.

Radios used in Atlantis were also Visars and then changed to the talkabouts.

Most of the time the pouches only contain a piece of foam with a antenna attached..it does not always work just for window dressing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts