FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this else where but I thought it was Note worthy! .38-357/44spl-44mag/45Lc.-454-.460 are all interchangable but be when careful when reloading

--Raised Primers? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loaded 250GR SWC LC in .45lc last week with 6.0 grains of solo 1000 out of my .454casul but 98% of the rounds had a bowed out primer after it was shot ???

Max load for this is 5.8GR of solo [email protected] PSI MAX

but in .454 PSI is 54,000psi max

Any input would help.......BTW i am going to back it down to 5.5gr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninner
Probably a good idea to back down to the recomended max load. 3 questions
Was the powder compacted? If the load was compacted at max, even a small increase in powder will cause a pressure spike.
What did you use to set the primers? If the primer is'nt firmly seated they can back out a little.
Did you use standard or magnum primers? If the max load called for a standard primer that will increase pressure.

I tend to stay a little under max loads and use a bulky enough powder so that if I double fill the powder spills out of the case.

I was using A dillon 550b I mesured out 7 or 8 to make sure of the weight. My press seated them they looked perfect after the primer stage. The lead cast i am useing is a lyman 250 SWC. but it is only comming in around 240 with the lineotype mix i am using. The book says 5.8 for a 250gr LC and 6.0 for a 240gr LC. I am useing standard WLP primers. I thought i could start a a max load since it is a .454 ? I guess not I would not have started that high on any other load i guess it was irresponsible on my part to make that assumption huh?
abpt1's Signature:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have found out this type of issue is from an under power charge the case is only expanding out and not out and back!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts