FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

As the title says, I've put about 150 rounds through my FiveseveN, so in no particular order, here are some thoughts and observations. Please understand that my comments are based upon 10+ years of full/part-time law enforcement experience, during which I carried daily either a Barretta or Glock in .40 cal. My current (until I get a holster for the 5.7x28mm) carry is a Ruger in .9 mm.

1. Recoil, or lack thereof - This is a real selling point for me on this gun. Yes, I can handle recoil, I've shot a .45 a couple of times, though I did not carry one. However, the recoil on the 5.7x28 is hardly noticible at all; therefore, my follow-up times were definitely faster.

2. Brass - I want to reload this calibre in the future, so I collect brass. I must say that the 5.7x28 really throws the brass. Mine were going to the front right and landing about 5 feet away from me. This is farther than any of my AR's when I'm shooting them. This definitely necessitated someone to keep an eye on the brass for me (thanks Dad).

3. Accuracy - OK, I started out about 30 yards away from the target, and rapidly realized that I was a rusty at that distance. I don't hunt with a handgun, so I really don't shoot from that distance. Yes, I know that I should practice more from that distance. So, I moved into a more realistic law enforcement distance or 7 - 10 yards. From there I was able to put 20 into an approximate 3 inch diameter circle. I did my shooting in groups of two or three. In particular, I was pleased to see that I had quite a few follow-up shots touching each other. I like this for the follow-up hit potential. I also like it because I don't want a spare round going where it's not supposed to go during the real thing.

4. Sights - I found the sights easy to pick up and align. Though I was shooting during the day, I would like some good night sights. I'm not a fan of hanging lights/lasers off my handgun. I want it to be as "snagless" as possible when drawing from a holster.

5. Grips - I have small hands, but I found the grip to be no larger than a .40 cal. Glock.

6. Safety - I love the location of the safety. I am not a fan of having the safety on, to be honest, because I think it slows down the time that I can get the gun going. But, if you use a safety, or if your department mandates it, this is a good place for it.

7. Penetration - I was shooting the jacketed, hollow-point ammo into a large backstop constructed of approximately 12 inch diameter logs. I did not observe any rounds to pass through the logs. I did not feel up to splitting any of the logs to see what was inside.

Well, that's probably enough for now. I have plans of getting together a .45 1911 clone, my .9 mm, and the FiveseveN and having a shoot-off, which I will write about in the future.

Take care,

MO Anglo-Saxon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P.P.,

I'll be shooting the following.

1. A Kimber in .45 ACP
2. A Ruger in 9 mm
3. The FN 5.7x28 mm

I don't know (because I haven't bought it yet) the ammo that I'll be using in the .45 and 9 mm. I'll stick w/the FN SS195 for the 5.7 because that's what I'll use for carry when I'm using the gun for a duty weapon.

I'd like to test things like the time it takes for me to perform double-taps with all three. I'd also like to be somewhat subjective in order to see what kind of accuracy I can get. I'm assuming that there will be some sort of trade-off between the speed it takes for me to get back on target after the first shot and the accuracy of the second shot. I'd also like to shoot until the magazine is empty and see how much difference there is between the three. I'm betting that the FiveseveN will not be that much longer in emptying due to the fact that I'll be able to get back on target so much more faster.

Regards, MO Anglo-Saxon

·
Registered
11 Posts
um, it is *really, really* unwise to not use the safety of a single action pistol when not ready to shoot it. The safety should ALWAYS be on with the FsN - this gun is not a Beretta (double action then single) or Glock (uncocked, striker fired) it is single action, just like a 1911. The difference is that the 1911 *also has* a grip safety, the FsN doesn't. Any bump to the trigger of other potential mechanical failure with sear could result in an AD - this is impossible with a Beretta (Assuming decocked, safety off) or Glock.

-Calvin

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
When I was using my Five Seven as a nightstand gun - I did not use the safety. I left it off. I no longer have cocked and locked guns - so I don't make use of the safties on any of my handguns that have them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts