FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my FS2000 today to test it with the Monarch Arms tri-rail and EOTech sight installed. After waiting in line 45 minutes (deer season is coming up and hunters are sighting in their rifles :cool:), I put about 60 rounds of Silver Bear and 60 rounds of American Eagle downrange with one small hitch. :(

When my 30-round USGI mags fully loaded with 30 rounds, my baby wouldn't strip the zinc-coated steel case Bear. :cry: In contrast, my baby handled a couple of mags of brass-cased ammo without a hitch. :-x Once I stripped a couple of rounds from the Bear-loaded mags, my rifle had no issue loading.

For background, these were new USGI mags I retrofitted with MagPul followers.

I have two theories:

1. I did not load the last few rounds of Bear correctly, so the rounds binded during stripping. I don't think this is the case since I reloaded the top couple of rounds to ensure everything was lined up correctly, with the same failure-to-strip result.

2. The Bear's zinc finish interfered with the carrier's ability to engage and strip the round with the round under fully-loaded mag lip friction.

Anybody else experienced something similar or have a different theory? :eek:

Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Could be that its a new gun and or mags..

Ive run some silver Bear in mine with 20 and 40 round mags and they seem to work great.

·
Registered
227 Posts
So, you could pull the bolt back, but it would just stay there, not stripping off the top round? But it worked when you only had 28? Sounds like the rifle's spring, or what ever it uses was not strong enough to push the round. Was this silver bear lacquer coated?

But, Fatcat's ran it fine. Put more rounds thru it. I would also be interested in how much lacquer buildup you get in the chamber...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Always tap the back of the mags on something, with some of the cheaper ones you have to for them to feed right.

Also good to get into the habat if the need arises you need a good working mag.

Another thing, make sure there are no burrs on the inside of your mag lips, thats what was jamming up my Mini-14 and Uzi till I polished them down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, you could pull the bolt back, but it would just stay there, not stripping off the top round? But it worked when you only had 28? Sounds like the rifle's spring, or what ever it uses was not strong enough to push the round. Was this silver bear lacquer coated?
Nope, I could manually cycle the bolt with no resistance. The top round just didn't strip from the mag. My first inkling of a problem was when I pulled the trigger and no bang. I hate it when that happens at my age... :oops:

Anyway, thanks all for your input. I'll keep experimenting as well as switching off mags. Next trip, I may bring my AR with my FS to see if the problem repeats in another rifle. Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
well, my first instinct would indeed be to check the new magazine rather than the ammo?

try the ammo that gave you problems in a magazine you already successfully tested with the FS2000.

i dont own an FS2000, but problems i've had with guns were nearly always related to the magazine, rather than the gun or the ammo used... (with the obvious exception of underloaded ammo failing to cycle a gun correctly, which isnt the case here)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My FS doesn't always like to strip top round when loaded with 30rds either. I've had it happen with brass cased ammo in Brownells mags with magpul followers and H&K mags.
I just load them down a couple rounds and don't worry about it.........................................DJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts