FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting trip to the range on election day. I intended to work on technique with my FN. I have about 1,000 rounds through it and it's my most accurate handgun. I slowed my shots to watch my posture, stance, breathing and spend less time concentrating on grip. The results were amazing. I could put 10 rounds into a silhouette 15 yds. away and have every round dead on the X vertically with a little variation high or low.
Here's the wierd part: after I shot 90 rounds through the FN I switched to my Glock 26. I could instantly feel the difference in recoil. The little Glock was actually easier to shoot. Then I did some shoot-while-moving drills. I found the Glock to be much faster in picking up the second shot than the FN.
It looks like the FN is my target gun, but the Glock is a better combat weapon for me. I wish I had brought my Glock 17 to see the comparison.

·
Registered
323 Posts
With the soft shooting of Glocks and the short barrel of the 26, I also found that the muzzle flip was short and was quick back on target.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I had a Glock 26 as my carry gun for 8 years. I got rid of it in 2005 when I switched to a P99c Walther. I like the Walther 500% better. I never liked the Glock trigger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Different strokes, I guess.
I never shot a 99c, but I have a P22. I like the little gun and really wanted to get a 99 to go with it. I rented a 99 three different times and all three times I walked away thinking that it just didn't do anything for me. Not that it didn't work, but it just didn't have anything that made me want to buy one.
OTOH, the first time I picked up an FN P9 I was instantly impressed.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
There are 3 different triggers to the P99. I LOVE the P99 A/S.

It is my all time fav gun, and I cannot shoot any other gun as well the P99.

I rented the P99 3 times. 1st time, I didn't like it that much (I was trying to convince myself to buy a Beretta 92 at the time, and wanted a metal framed gun). Tried it 2 more times and was sold.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I rented the original P99 when they first came out (I think it was the equivalent of the current AS configuration) and it was OK, but did not light me up because of the long trigger pull. So I stayed with the Glocks until I found the Steyr M9.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I love the feel of the p99's...I may just pick up another one... :?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SELFDEFENSE said:
I rented the original P99 when they first came out (I think it was the equivalent of the current AS configuration) and it was OK, but did not light me up because of the long trigger pull. So I stayed with the Glocks until I found the Steyr M9.
Is the Steyr trigger similar to Glock's? The only other one I've found like Glock's is the Springfield XD. I've shot two of them that belong to friends. Both had FTF issues in the first two mags. Not a good sign for a SD gun.
Also - I assume the Steyr is Austrian. I've never actually seen one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
No. I got rid of my Glock 26, 17L, 21 and just kept my 19 because the Steyr trigger was the best I had ever felt out of the box except for 1911 SAs. The trigger is crisp for a striker DA and not sproingy like the Glock.
Some FTFs have been due to an old extractor design and some mags had incorrect springs in them.
I have a little over 2K rounds thru my M9 without problem, and it replaced my Glocks as CCW gun.
It is Austrian and designed by someone who left Glock and went down the road to Steyr.
I will pick up a M9-A1 on Tuesday that I got from CDNN for $340 + shipping & FFL.
And the weird triangular sights are the best combat sight I have used (especially for my blurry eyes). The recoil is extremely mild and follow up is extremely fast.
Lots of info Steyrclub.com.
Having said that, my new FNP-45 is an awesome gun that is sharing CCW duties with the Steyr, even though I am a bit more partial to the 9mm than the 45.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts