FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a break from the incessant rain here in the Texas hillcountry and went to my local rifle range to break in the new purchase.

There was like a billion likeminded people out today, so I had to wait for a spot to open. Finally someone left the 100yard table, and I jumped on it. Now i've got a EOtech sight, and this was my first time using a sight like that too. No magnification had me shooting a bit off for a bit, but once i got the hang of it I was doing a lot better.

Having said that I don't think this is the right sight for shooting at anything over 75 yards, allthough I do like the sight and love the quickness of it. I still got some pretty nice 2-3 inch groups with some bullseye shots out of it.

The rifle performed well. I put 200 rounds through it without any jams or issues. the trigger pull is as people said very stiff. I had to trade off between my ring and index finger at some point and more then once double checked to see if the safety was still on.

I'm going to have to look into having that fixed. I'm not a mcguiver type like some of the people on this board, so filing down stuff and doing crazy things to springs is something i'll throw some money at someone to do :)

I fired it from the shoulder a few times just bringing it up and trying to put a few rounds downrange with a kind of quick target aquisition type of drill. I would love to have been able to do that with some targets at 50 yards or even 75, but at a hundred I still kept my shots within a torso sized area.

I think what this gun truly excells at is exactly that. It points so well, and the balance of the weapon is such that shooting multiple targets anywhere under 75 yards with a sight like the EOtech from the shoulder is very easy to do. D'd love to set up some watermelons kind of around me at varying distances up to 75 yards somewhere out in the middle of nowhere and pick them all off as quick as possible.

If I was running around alleys and streets having to shoot zombies in the head I think this would be the perfect gun to do that :p

For longer ranges I really need to get that trigger looked at and use some kind of a 4X or more optic. I'm confidant the gun will shoot well at longer ranges when I've got some things to set it up for that.

So in summary, it's a great looking, apperantly uber reliable and ergonomic mid range tactical rifle that will get you lots of attention and comments at the range and the only real drawback i found to it is the triggerpull is pretty stiff. Using a combination of pulling the trigger and shouldering into it a bit this is managable, though definately its only achilles heel.

Oh, and if you're a lefty like me it's VERY lefty-friendly and it even deposits your shells very thoughtfully in one small area below the ejector port.

I'm gonna give it a 9 for ergonomics, 10 for wow-factor, can't give a score for the accuracy yet though innitial impressions for me using a new rifle and type of sight I've never used are good, and a 8.5 for ease of use, all points being detracted being directly affected by the triggerpull. it gets major points for how well it points and feels shooting from the shoulder and the way it ejects the shells to bring it back up to the 8.5 :D

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Great review!

I love my Eotech too - but yea... 100 yards unmagnified is too far for me too. I can hit the siholette of a person, but not in good sized groups. I only have the option of 50 or 100 yards at my range - I do 85% - 90% of my shooting with the PS90 at 50 yards.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thats the reason I am always so shocked to see the Eotechs on the FS2000's here. I mean its a .223 with a 17 inch barrel. Exactly why people put a red dot on it I'll never know.

Glad to hear you liked it. If you want a red dot/3x scope look at the Luepold CQT. It offers 1-3x zoom with a circular ring reticle.

If you want just 4x only I'd say go with the Acog if you can afford it.

·
Banned
114 Posts
eotech is good magnified

I also use an Eotech, which I think is great on the fs2k. You're definitely right about the limited range of the sight but this can be countered with a magnifier. My setup is a forward mounted Eotech 552 with an Aimpoint 3x magnifier on a samson flip to side mount. I like this because the Eotech reticle is nice and I can get a little bit of range with it when magnified. When I move closer in I can just hit the flip switch and still get the fast on quickness of the stand alone Eotech. This year Eotech is putting their magnifiers on the market and i'm going to upgrage to the M557 (with bullet drop compensation for 5.56 rounds) and their new 4x magnifier.

·
Banned
114 Posts
you're right

Yea, I never noticed that but you're right. The 4x is almost twice as much as the 3x. Might have to contact them to see what the deal is because thats just ridiculous. Maybe i'll just mount two 3x mags back to back. lol Does anyone else out there make magnifiers like that?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Aimpoint are the only guys that are worth while from what I have seen.

I too thought about getting a 4x for my eotech but its outrageous to spend 1500 on a red dot/mag. The 3x is even way too much. You might as well just get an Acog at those prices.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
We were shooting at a range that had a 10-12 inch gong set up at 200yds. With a little steady breathing and trigger control you could ring the thing about every time shooting my FS2000 and a Eotech site. For fast shooting out to 200 (or maybe further I haven't tried) on Kill zone size targets any magnification would be slower. Needless to say I think the Eotech is a fantastic site for an FS2000.

Ureil, I had the same frustrations with my trigger at first. It never gets near as light as say a good AR trigger but it does get a lot better after a little use. I tried powdered graphite at first on mine and it made it seem a lot smoother though it's a little messy. Right now I'm trying out Corrosion-X as a lube for the gun and it seems to be working well so far. - Keep pulling that trigger and it will smooth up for you................................DJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm definately going to be putting a lot more rounds downrange with it. Getting a trijicon sight for it for longer range shooting, and when it comes out this tri-rail replacement for the front handle..

mmm, thats sexy...

·
Banned
114 Posts
Is that really the new design for the trirail? That thing looks like it will work out quite well giving a more vertical grip to the front hand almost identical to the p90.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mcguiver-007 said:
That is not the one from FN, it is made by monolith arms.
Yes indeed. Not being sold yet, but really couldn't be more perfect imo. FN should have designed it this way to begin with. The ps90 front arm is perfect. Shooting my FS2k from the shoulder i actually felt I had better control resting the big handgrip on the front into the crook of my arm and resting my hand on the trigger arm...

I think this is exactly what the rifle is lacking, and the look of it makes it seem like what is really is, the ps90's big brother :)

Besides, the tri-rail setup will let us mount flashlights and lasers on the sides and avoid having to cut into existing parts.

I can't wait for it to come out.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Well i'm in. But how do you buy Monolith's products since their website is all but nonexistent?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya I don't know. I'd like to know that too, there's a guy who posts on the other 5-7 forum that would be a contact I guess. I'm just gonna keep my eye on that thread and wait for some news.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: you're right

Yea, I never noticed that but you're right. The 4x is almost twice as much as the 3x. Might have to contact them to see what the deal is because thats just ridiculous. Maybe i'll just mount two 3x mags back to back. lol Does anyone else out there make magnifiers like that?
First of all....just so you guys know, the Eotech 3x is actually 3.25x power, and the 4x is really only 3.75x power, so for double the price you are not picking up that much more magnification on the 4x.

Yes, the magnifiers are expensive, but you can move them from gun to gun. I use my 3x on three different rifles by swapping it mount and all. The magnifier itself has a QD throw lever to detach from the mount, so eventually I will get more mounts so I can just move the optical part itself. I wish the mount itself attached with a QD throw lever, but its not made that way for some odd reason.

Since the optical part of the magnifier QD's from the base, you could probably get by OK with the cheaper one that does not have the flip to side, as you can easily remove the magnifier from the base when you don't need it. The real advantage of the flip mount is it gives you easy access to the buttons on the EoTech when the magnifier is mounted right close to the EoTech. And when the optical magnifier is removed from the base and in your vest pocket, it makes a handy little 3.25x monocular.

All that said, I really like the 3x magnifier I have. The optical quality is very high, and that is a good part of what you are paying for. Good glass is expensive.
MD

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
There is some discussion of the cheapo clone magnifiers on the XD Forum. They will be tested soon for durability - but I think for a toy, they are a much better deal than paying that small fortune for the official Eotech magnifiers...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had an EOTech on my FS for a short time. I could get my shots on paper at 50yds easily but not terribly accurately.

Then I went to a friendly shoot, and I was trying to knock down bowling pins placed about 50 feet or more away, and it took me more than 40 rounds to put three pins down. It was embarrassing, and I think I made the FS look bad to the other participants. I removed my EOTech shortly thereafter.

I'll only go with magnified optics or an Aimpoint on my FS now. I have an Aimpoint on it now. With low rings I can get a good co-witness with the front sight. I don't like EOTech on my FS, but that's just me. I think the EOTech was designed more for the AR platform anyway.

Good writeup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts