FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just a quick range report first off this weapon will pull a crowd if your at a public range if you want to sight in you may wish to go to a indoor or private range or you will talk more than give your weapon the workout it needs. Ok to the good stuff the PS90 recoil is nil so easy to keep on target for follow up I did 1.5 in group at 100 yards and was very impressed at 35 yards I seem to be pulling left and down a bit oh well pilot error. My 50 rd mag was great but my 30 to 50 conversion had one misfeed it was the rollers in the mag they would not feed up all the way so I field striped it cleaned with a silicone cloth and all was good for 1000+ rounds This was my PS90s first outing so all in all no problems worth reporting

RH :twisted:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I shot it mine at 100 yd and was getting 10"+ groups, probably because the daylight reticle was shy in broad daylight. 50 yd was about 5" and 25 yd was about 2".

It didn't attract any attention at all in a public range. Everyone was more interested in Springfield XDs, SKSs, AR-10s, and revolvers than the PS90.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the front sling mount? I have read where the front sling mount will mess up the accuracy I will buy one to test that theory ive been told the barrel is free float and not to mount anything to it.

RH

·
Registered
268 Posts
RH: I took my single point sling off for the static range (it wasn't tied to the barrel). I rested the frame on sandbags and never touched the barrel. The barrel isn't free floating since the sleeve contacts the barrel and the receiver (it would dampen or interfere with barrel harmonics).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ps90 Accuracy

I bought a FN Ps90 a few ago. I live in West Virginia. I have shot about 300 rounds through the gun and it has functioned perfectly. But I still have a problem with the gun. I can keep all of the rounds on a man size target at 100 yds. But I can not get any of the rounds close enough to each other to call anything a group that I can zero it in with.Are all Ps90 like this?This is the most inaccurate gun that I have shot. It does matter what damage the bullet does to any thing,if you can not hit the target.Are all these guns this inaccurate or did I just get a bad gun? My email address is [email protected] I would like to from any one that can help me in anyway. Thank You, Dr. John Ray

·
Registered
268 Posts
My first question is, which reticle/optic were you using? If it was the stock reflex reticle, were you using the daylight (circle/circle/dot) or the low-light (half-T)? In my situation, the Low-Light reticle (illuminated by the sun) was the ONLY reticle visible and thus I had a rather large gap in the center and it was difficult to shoot at 100 yd.

I found the PS90's precision isn't anything to write home about since either of my AR15s will give it a run for its money at 25 yd and 50 yd, but that is only comparing them to the PS90 with the standard reflex sight. I believe my groups would have tightened if I could SEE the daylight reticle.

The 8 lb trigger takes some getting used to and make sure to rest the frame on sandbags and not the barrel.

The next response you will most likely hear, after the "you are doing it wrong" is that "the PS90 was never designed as a precision weapon". :wink:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also want to add, ignore the comments about 3 shot "groups." It isn't a group unless it is at least 10 shots. 3 shots is acceptable for adjusting your sights but far from acceptable for comparing groupings. My 7.62x39 Vepr can shoot a sub-1" 3-shot group at 50 yd, but shoots 2"-4" 10-shot groups at 50 yd. The key is to find out the reliability of the weapon's precision. My 24" AR-15 can maintain 3-4 MOA as long as I have ammo available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
General Discussion

Metroplex, I was useing the stock reticle that came on the gun and it was the day light sight. If anything comes out that would improve this guns accuracy,please let me know. Johnray

·
Registered
6 Posts
General Discussion

Metroplex,when this gun first came out and I read all of the reviews that I could before I bought one. I had visions of shooting sguirrels in the head at 200 yards because all of the review talked about how flat shooting and accurate that this Ps90 and the 5.7x 28mm round was.So you can get an idea about how disappointed I was when I actually shot it.People should be warned before they buy this gun. I feel cheated. I do not blame my gun dealer because he did not know either, but I do blame FN and all of the so called experts that wrote the reviews. In my opinion,this gun is basically worthless.I do not believe in just spraying out a bunch of bullets and then hope that I get lucky and hit something. Johnray

·
Registered
268 Posts
So you were able to use the tiny dot in the center of the daylight reticle? You may have to work on the trigger because it does take some getting used to at the range. Have you tried shooting it at 50 yd?

I agree with you. Many of the experts gave the P90 glowing reviews on accuracy, versatility, and ergonomics. Some even claimed the stock sights were outstanding, but I found that I couldn't really use the stock sight. I also found the PS90 to be less than stellar with regards to precision. It shot groups that were 2-3x larger than my AR-15s from 25 yd up to 100 yd.

Many of the experts will blame the user or fall back to their usual tactic and say the P90 was never designed for precision, but instead was designed as a CQB defensive weapon (spray and pray).

The barrel does not free float, so the only thing you can really work on is the trigger. Practice it often and get used to the heavy pull. When you can release the hammer without jiggling the PS90 (kind of hard to do at first), it should shoot tighter groups.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of the PS90's accuracy yet. I've only had the one range session I posted about where we shot Tannerite.

At 43 paced yards I'd say I averaged about 5 inch groups with one last 3 inch group. I probably shot less than half of the 250 rounds shot that day. We were shooting SS195LF. The target was low, in the shade, and had some tall grass in front of it. Not the best of conditions. I'm not very experienced with rifle shooting. I really wasn't concerned that much with accuracy. I just wanted to break the rifle in and have fun. I made sure I wan't resting the rifle on the barrel and that the sling had no tension on it.

I illuminated the daylight reticle of the sight a little with a Photon microlight. The daylight reticle doesn't seem to be the best for precision shooting. The inner circle mostly got in the way of shooting anything small. The inner circle seemed to be exacly the same size of the 8" targets I was shooting. I kept lifting the rifle to see the target and bringing the rifle down to shoot.

The sight has got to go. I have a 2x20 Compact ACOG with the red crosshair on order from SWFA for $800. It is on backorder and probably won't get here until after Christmas. This is more than I want to spend for a sight, but msw on the fivesevenforum has a custom mount coming out that puts the sight very low. Once I get the sight I'll be sure to post the results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts