FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We really need to start hammering FN USA about the current ammunition situation.

As most of us are aware, Fiocchi in Ozark, MO manufactures most of of the commercially available ammo for the 5.7X28 caliber. (FN Branded SS197 & Federal American Eagle)

Both of which are having issues, light loads in the SS197, and bullets not crimped enough in the AE in addition to reported light AND hot loads.

This should be an issue they would take very seriously as a failure during a Self Defense or Law Enforcement scenario could result in a very undesirable outcome. (And before someone chimes in about L.E. using SS190, it's NOT available to individual officers)

This problem is nothing new, the owner of Elite Ammunition has a video out of him breaking down SS197 and weighing the powder charges (which are all over the place)

I will continue to use Federal & AE for practice use, it's makes for great immediate action drills due to failures!

But at this point, I'll pay the scalper prices for "out the backdoor" SS198 non-Fiocchi produced ammo for serious use.

One last thought, it would be REALLY nice if someone would offer new brass for the 5.7, Starline are you listening?

Thought or comments?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Most people have been hammering FNH for years now for more/better/cheaper ammo. Sadly it is a niche caliber and there just isnt a big enough market for most ammo companies to make ammo in 5.7x28

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hell I'm just glad that the non AE ammo is available and relatively decently priced post-panic

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I'm with you pure! It's crazy but not a completely new situation we are discussing. It just tells me FN has bigger fish to fry since they don't seen to be producing much of what's around for the 5.7x28mm round.

What's a man to do?

BBG-

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I still have 500 rounds of ae and over 1000 197. But I have been stock piling 198 and will just shoot that when I'm done with the "cheap" stuff. Finding deals on 198 similar prices to 197 rather just pay the extra 10 to 20 bucks for a range trip for better ammo

·
Registered
42 Posts
I still have 500 rounds of ae and over 1000 197. But I have been stock piling 198 and will just shoot that when I'm done with the "cheap" stuff. Finding deals on 198 similar prices to 197 rather just pay the extra 10 to 20 bucks for a range trip for better ammo
Do you not worry about 198 shelf life when stockpiling that round? If you're using it immediately (say within a few years), I could see it not being a problem but on paper, these rounds aren't suppose to last long compared to leaded ammo. I have mine vacuum sealed and dated and really don't expect it to last beyond 10 years. I also have my leaded ammo vacuum sealed and expect those to far outlast me.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
At this point it's pure speculation as the lead free rounds have not been around very long. I guess we will know in another 7 years or so.

Do you not worry about 198 shelf life when stockpiling that round? If you're using it immediately (say within a few years), I could see it not being a problem but on paper, these rounds aren't suppose to last long compared to leaded ammo. I have mine vacuum sealed and dated and really don't expect it to last beyond 10 years. I also have my leaded ammo vacuum sealed and expect those to far outlast me.

BBG-

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
At this point it's pure speculation as the lead free rounds have not been around very long. I guess we will know in another 7 years or so.
Actually you should start knowning very soon based on the early SS195 lots. :?

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
And before someone chimes in about L.E. using SS190, it's NOT available to individual officers
It's easy enough for the Officer to get it through his Department if there is a need/want.

And FN has been suggesting for a while now that Officers who don't want to go through the hassle of getting 190 should use SS198 as duty ammo.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
I wonder how many of those early lots from 10yrs ago are still around today.
I still have some of the very first lot produced.

I test a small amount of it at each range trip.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Do you store it any special way or just have it in a ammo can? Ive been wondering if vacuum sealing is worth it or not
It's in ammo cans.

Reactions: Fnpurist

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Midwest Gun Works recently sent out an email that they had 500-round units of ss195. They didn't last long but maybe it's a sign of future availability.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts