Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: aquaticpig

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Normally I'm very critical of police shootings, but I have to say that I can understand the officer's reaction in this case. I can't say with certainty what I would have done in his shoes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm sorry, but the whole spin where they claim the old man is "aiming" the cane, I have a father who had to use a cane after having his knee replaced and a mother that uses a cane often; the old man was swinging it over from the bed and making sure it wasn't over the bed before letting it fall, it just happened to be the same direction the cop was in. He's old, he moves slow. I can understand why the cop shot, but this is something that could happen, and unless we're just going to write this sort of thing off as ok, I think officers might be asked to show a little more bravery before shooting. God knows if that was my father I'd be enraged, as it stands I'm still a bit sick to my stomach for both men, this is one of those things where POS scumbags dont even have to do anything to ruin the lives of good people.

Again, I feel for the officer, I only wish he had shown just a tad more caution, but I can't demand it of him. I've had guns pointed at me in anger and I damn sure wouldn't hesitate, but I admit I'm a piece of chicken feces, and I'd never be in law enforcement.

What a bad day for all involved. Still, the sherrif tryin to say the old man was "aiming" the stick needs to be informed about how canes and old people work, he's close himself it seems.

PS. Fallguy, your sig is so distracting!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yep, the deputy did the right! Bad situation and I feel for the deputy. It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. But even in this case if he would have waited and the subject that was stopped, had a shot gun or rifle, we could be reading a different headline.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
but the whole spin where they claim the old man is "aiming" the cane

talk about spin. They did not say that. The new guy says, "pointing it at officer..." and the police guy said "watch the action of the walking cane",

The issue was never brought up about intentions, only the action. Now I am not know for being very police
friends, BUT, in this case, the officer was correct. The whole show restraint in this situation could have got him killed if it was not a cane. Unfortunately the cane, in that light, from that distance and perspective and in that situation, looks very much like a long gun.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Geez, when will people learn to stay in the vehicle unless instructed otherwise? I thought that was relatively common sense (then again, common sense is extremely lacking in this country).

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
I'm sorry, but the whole spin where they claim the old man is "aiming" the cane, I have a father who had to use a cane after having his knee replaced and a mother that uses a cane often; the old man was swinging it over from the bed and making sure it wasn't over the bed before letting it fall, it just happened to be the same direction the cop was in. He's old, he moves slow. I can understand why the cop shot, but this is something that could happen, and unless we're just going to write this sort of thing off as ok, I think officers might be asked to show a little more bravery before shooting. God knows if that was my father I'd be enraged, as it stands I'm still a bit sick to my stomach for both men, this is one of those things where POS scumbags dont even have to do anything to ruin the lives of good people.

Again, I feel for the officer, I only wish he had shown just a tad more caution, but I can't demand it of him. I've had guns pointed at me in anger and I damn sure wouldn't hesitate, but I admit I'm a piece of chicken feces, and I'd never be in law enforcement.

What a bad day for all involved. Still, the sherrif tryin to say the old man was "aiming" the stick needs to be informed about how canes and old people work, he's close himself it seems.

Agree. Seems like our LEO's seem to be a might bit trigger happy these days. If one is going to automatically use his firearm in a " questionable" circumstance he needs to find a different line of work.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Yep, the deputy did the right! Bad situation and I feel for the deputy. It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. But even in this case if he would have waited and the subject that was stopped, had a shot gun or rifle, we could be reading a different headline.

What at your saying may be true - however, the probability of a 70 y old male having a rifle is much slinger than a cane. The officer hD no reason to draw in the first place.people all the time reach into glove boxes or under seats for wallets-- this is expected. He should be prosecuted. There needs to be a sanctity of life. Every cop fear the worst, but in 25 years as a cop a cop may never come across a homicidal maniac. But he will come across a person reaching in the dark every shift. That old man could have been a teenage boy, pregnant mom, a retired cop who made a mistake out of fatigue.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
What at your saying may be true - however, the probability of a 70 y old male having a rifle is much slinger than a cane. The officer hD no reason to draw in the first place.
If I were a cop, I'd be very suspect of someone getting out of their vehicle and retrieving something from the rear. Remember that army guy that got out of his car and shot the cop that pulled him over (the army guy was killed by the cop after a brief exchange of fire)? I'd be worried about the same thing happening and feel the cop did have the right to draw in this instance. People just have to remember to stay in their vehicles.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What at your saying may be true - however, the probability of a 70 y old male having a rifle is much slinger than a cane. The officer hD no reason to draw in the first place.people all the time reach into glove boxes or under seats for wallets-- this is expected. He should be prosecuted. There needs to be a sanctity of life. Every cop fear the worst, but in 25 years as a cop a cop may never come across a homicidal maniac. But he will come across a person reaching in the dark every shift. That old man could have been a teenage boy, pregnant mom, a retired cop who made a mistake out of fatigue.
I normally find myself going against cops but in this case I don't. You're not supposed to get out of the vehicle. If they are screaming for you to stop, then stop. Sure as hell don't go reaching for anything. Hate to say it but I probably would've shot him too.

·
Banned
215 Posts
I don't know what he was thinking just hopping out of the truck and pulling out a long object. I did think the cop was a little quick though, but sometimes you gotta just make a choice. I never get out of the vehicle unless instructed, and play the game. Its all psychology. Be non threatening and respectful and 9.5 times out of Ten the Cops will reciprocate.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Very, very bad situation for all, older man just didn't know protocol. Anytime you would be in this situation, IMO, I slow down put on turn signal, w/ electric windows drop both front windows, turn on interior light, pull over, turn vehicle off, put both wrist on top of steering wheel with hands open. Knowing, here, the LEO already ran my plates and knows I have a carry permit. This goes a long way to de-escalate any type of situation like this. I don't want shot over a minor traffic violation. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

I have to agree with USonMaBeach here. And i'm going to play a bit of Devil's advocate. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but in the U.S. Military, overseas, in Iraq and Afghanistan. Are you not required to not shoot until you are shot at? I know a lot of police officers, good friends and family, and I almost always take their side, but to serve and protect, to me seems like one should serve and protect, not have the attitude of "better be tried by 12 rather than carried by 6." Granted, I cannot say that I wouldn't have taken similar measures and I know the police have plenty of problems to deal with, and seconds can count. However, if our military in a foreign country is required to act this way, should our own men serving our OWN people not be required to do more?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Tough situation, but like Tx10 said....one guy gets up this morning, one doesn't.

Comes down to two themes.
1. LEOs seem to go into every situation with an us vs. them mentality, and every interaction is with a possible criminal.
2. They're primary aim seems to be getting home at night, rather than doing what is right EVERY SINGLE TIME. Can't say that wouldn't be mine goal either, but, i'm not leo for a reason.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts