FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I selected the SCAR 17 because I wanted a lightweight .308 battle rifle and intended it for multiple roles. First, it would be my go-to gun should the SHTF. Next, and probably where it would see regular use, would be as my main gun to use during scoped rifle matches out to 600 yards. Lastly, I foresee myself carrying the rifle form time to time in the deer/hog woods. For those uses, I selected the SWFA 1-6x scope as my optic of choice. At the time, I felt that it would serve me well for those uses, it likely would.

Recently, I have been prepping for the SCAR's first scoped rifle match. Until our local range finishes construction of the new firing lines, we'll be maxed out at 485 yards for the scoped matches. Once the lines are done, we'll be able to go to 600. While using the SCAR and SWFA pair, I've begun to notice that I'd like a bit more magnification. At 6X, the scope is quite usable and I've managed very good groups with it at 100 and 485, but I just seem to want a bit more out of it. While I've pondered the more magnification idea, I've also thought more about the SCARs role in a SHTF situation. I've proven to myself and others that I'm capable of minute of man/zombie/etc. with the open sights all the way out to what I'd consider reasonable. By running the gun naked, I'd also be keeping it trim, something that turned me onto the gun in the first place. I could always throw an optic in a pack on a QD mount if I felt the need for that.

Back to where I'd use it most, scoped rifle matches. As of late, I've really been eyeing the Nightforce NXS compacts a lot. Specifically the 2.5-10X32 and 2.5-10X42 scopes. I just really like the 10X top end for use at the matches. I had been using a Savage rifle with a SWFA 5-20X but my 12-year old son has claimed it as his. I feel that the 10X would still be ample for the targets we engage. If I were to purchase one of these two scopes, I'm considering keeping the Bobro mount that I have the SWFA 1-6X in to mount up the Nightforce option. From all I've read, this combo should work well.

Any thoughts on the direction I'm leaning? Do you agree with my thought process here?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Only downside to me is the eye box on the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x24 isn't very forgiving at higher magnification. I've got an NP-R2 reticle in mine and like it on my 18" 5.56 SPRish rifle.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I say get a leupold mark 8. Its a 3.5-25 power. Could hunt with it, or hit a gnat at 600 meters. A bit too pricey for me, but if you got the money thats the one I'd go with.

Reactions: joeyhp

·
Registered
145 Posts
Which one? Pros cons? Just used to a acog.

Illuminated Front Focal M-TMR +Matte =
$4,999.99
Product #110121
Illuminated Front Focal H-27D +Matte =
$5,749.99
Product #112564
Illuminated Mil Dot +Matte =
$3,749.99
Product #114921
NEW
Illuminated CMR-W 7.62 +Matte =
$4,749.99
Product #116670
NEW

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just my opinion, but why not go with a Burris XTR? I've had about everything but Swarovski and find that they are the best dollar for dollar. I have both the 1-6x24 and the 1.5-6x40 with the 7.62 Reticle on a P.E.P.R. mount and love it. Can't beat a Forever warranty either. Save the extra coin to fill some AMMOCANs.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtr4x16x.html - 4-16x50mm

reticle info: http://www.burrisoptics.com/ball556.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
After research the Mark 8, that is a ridiculously large scope to try and put on something like a 17. I can't recommend the scope I linked to above enough... It's compact and has enough magnification to shoot out to 1000 meters ALL DAY!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I alternate between an aimpoint pro for cqb, PA 1-6x for short range and Leupold Mark AR 4x12 for long range. For the money the Leupold is hard to beat, and I looked at alot of high end scopes before I bought it. Its longer, but somehow lighter than my 1-6.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback thus far folks. I've really narrowed my focus (pun intended) down to the two Nightforce Compact 2.5-10x scopes though. Originally, I was leaning toward the 40mm model but after evaluating my intended uses, especially shooting within 600 yards and mostly during good light, I'm starting to sway toward the 32mm version. If I were to use the scope for longer distances the larger objective and parallax adjustment would be essential I'd think. I'd like to stick will Mil/Mil and understand there's a premium for that over the MOA based models.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What he said. :mrgreen:
I don't doubt the Mark 6 would fit the bill nicely. Its the "bill" that won't fit me. I'll need to sell off the SWFA and add to that in order to get the Nightforce. I can do that, but not the extra grand it would take to afford the Mark 6.

·
Registered
957 Posts
One word. Trijicon 2-10X56. Or is that 2 words or 2to the 10th by 56 words or....
Do you have this scope? Do you like it? We need to send you back to elementary school good sir. Your counting and math skills are lacking.....give me your address and I will send you some of the books my 4 year old and 2 year old are using!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I don't doubt the Mark 6 would fit the bill nicely. Its the "bill" that won't fit me. I'll need to sell off the SWFA and add to that in order to get the Nightforce. I can do that, but not the extra grand it would take to afford the Mark 6.
If you are MIL/LEO, contact Leupold and you can get a SIGNIFICANT discount.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do you have this scope? Do you like it? We need to send you back to elementary school good sir. Your counting and math skills are lacking.....give me your address and I will send you some of the books my 4 year old and 2 year old are using!
Am purchasing now for my Mauser 660.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased and mounted the nightforce 2.5-10x32 on my 17 to replace an acog and I love it. Ordered the velocity recticle and used an ADM recon mount. I was surprised with the mount the spring clamping mechanism is really nice and I'm officially switching from larue because of it. Buy the scope you won't regret it, or if your close to Washington south of Pittsburgh ill be sighting mine in next week and you could check it out and get a good idea for yourself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts