FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
obviously it's a hollowpoint vs. a (semi) FMJ but before i decide if i want to buy any bulk of either, does anyone have some straight dope on comparing these rounds? performance, specs, characteristics, preferred uses, etc?

·
Administrator
11,366 Posts
Hank said:
obviously it's a hollowpoint vs. a (semi) FMJ but before i decide if i want to buy any bulk of either, does anyone have some straight dope on comparing these rounds? performance, specs, characteristics, preferred uses, etc?
Pistol, SBR or rifle?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
The PS90 FAQ on this site has some info on the specs...

I like the 197 the best for self defense. It makes a bigger hole than the 195 - but the 195 penetrates further

·
Registered
980 Posts
SS195 doesn't splinter on impact but it often comes into two pieces, the flattened jacket and the squished out aluminum core. Thought I'd mention that in case anyone had the impression that this round has 100% weight retention, because it doesn't.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pistol, SBR or rifle?
full on PS90 for now, hopefully SBR before year's end.

The PS90 FAQ on this site has some info on the specs...

I like the 197 the best for self defense. It makes a bigger hole than the 195 - but the 195 penetrates further
good deal- that's the kind of info i am looking for.

do we know which one defeats hard targets better? and no, i don't necessarily mean armor. not planning on going to war any time soon. :roll:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I did my own highly unscientific tests involving water jugs in a row using 197 & 195 from the PS90 at about 10'. What I discovered is that the 197 seemed to cause more immediate trauma in the first jug (understandable due to fragmentation) and on occasion pieces of it would penetrate a bit further than 195. Since the 197 uses a lead based primer instead of the 195's aluminum based primer of questionable shelf life I now use 197 exclusively (besides, I prefer a bullet that's designed to expand/fragment on impact for greater vascular damage). HTH...
Tomac

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i went through the BulletTube posts by MrNuke and saw the expansion of the 197 and was impressed. it looks to be the better defense round for soft targets for sure.

also checked out Merovingi's post on the 5.7 vs 9mm informal testing- he didn't test the 197 on the 3 layer 2x6. grrrr. guess it will be up to me. :p

looks so far like the 197 will be the better performer for defense overall, while the 195 is the better performer against hard targets.

i just wish the 197 stepped a little quicker. :-?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts