FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just spent three nights shooting a darkness training course with my SCAR 17 308 Win with an AAC BrakeOut 2.0 muzzle brake/flash hider combo. Here is how the brake actually performs:

First, let me state that I am in no way affiliated with AAC or Remington or any other manufacturer. These are my observations from actually using the gun/muzzle brake during a training course......and I purchased everything....full price with my own money!

The BrakeOut 2.0 did an amazing job reducing recoil.....I have tried just about everything out there and the BrakeOut 2.0 is almost the same recoil reduction as the SJC Titan.....more than the Surfire brake, more than the Rolling Thunder and more than the JP or Micheluck brakes. I was able to keep up to the 223s on several of the rapid fire drills.....which says a lot by itself.

At night, I had an approximate 4" dim cherry blossom around my muzzle......I was the only one shooting a 308....everyone else had 223s. Other than the three guys running A2 flash hiders and the couple of folks running AAC Blackout flash hiders, I had the lowest muzzle signature in the class. Most of the 223s had significantly more flash, noise and concussion than my 308. As a former Infantry officer....I would NOT hesitate to go to war with this brake....it won't give away my position in a fire fight!

I was so impressed with the BrakeOut 2.0 that I ordered them for my 300BLK and 223 rifles as soon as I got home.....my wallet voted.....buy with confidence....I bought through experience.....

OK on to the SCAR 17 observations......

1) The PWS rail has to come off when you are doing high volume shooting.....all day and night long. 8oz gets real heavy after about 5 hours.....three days is way too much for the rail if you are using your SCAR 17 as a Battle Rifle/Carbine instead of the Long Range Precision rifle.

2) The 2 Point Sling is great most of the time....right up until you are trying to do speed reloads.....it won't let the gun rotate enough to reload quickly......I ditched it for day two and went with the single point sling and was much much happier....not to mention faster!

3) The Handl lower SUCKS for speed reloads....the magwell is not enlarged and PMAGs go in really, really slow as you have to be absolutely perfect when aligning the mag to the magwell under stress. Where is Stryker's lower.....we all need a good magwell Sarge!

4) The 25 round PMAGs are flawless....buy with confidence....and they are the perfect height....at least for me....in the prone.

5) The VLTOR stock adapter and the Magpul CTR is the way to go for high volume fire. I was able to set it where I wanted it....no cranking my head and neck over, no resonation/sting from the Tuna fish stock....and I was able to set the height of the stock to my optics and in line with my bore to reduce recoil..... I actually kept up to the 223s when I really tried.

6) The Timney trigger is awesome....no lube, consistant trigger pull every time and a sweet crisp break at 3.5lbs every time.....short reset....really fast.....absolutely flawless after over 20k rounds now.....

7) The SCAR 17 takes high volume fire and keeps on rocking..... 4 ammo failures in 1500 rounds.....no FTFs, no FTE/FTEject, no gun failures of any type in three days.....4 failed primers only.....tried to refire them 3 times.....no joy.....definitely ammo related.

So I don't recommend that everyone take a 308 to a 223 course....it is too much gun... but it was fun and I killed the steel....with authority......I would probably do it again....but only with my SCAR 17.....my JP would have been way too heavy over the three days......

I hope this real world experience helps folks thinking about buying one of these brakes or a SCAR 17.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is great stuff to hear. I bet some of the other guys were hoping you'd fail with that big 308. Glad everything worked for you and had a great time. Its also good to hear the blackout 2 performs so well with recoil and flash suppression. Thanks for this.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
1) The PWS rail has to come off when you are doing high volume shooting.....all day and night long. 8oz gets real heavy after about 5 hours.....three days is way too much for the rail if you are using your SCAR 17 as a Battle Rifle/Carbine instead of the Long Range Precision rifle.
There is a way so I heard to dropped 3 inches off you barrel for a even more versatile rifle wink wink cough* SBR **

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a way so I heard to dropped 3 inches off you barrel for a even more versatile rifle wink wink cough* SBR **
Yep....that 13" barrel is very tempting but at 13" I am only getting 100fps more than my 300BLK rifle so the 300BLK is actually a much better option....lighter, smaller, faster, less recoil, less signature, more ammo capacity and lets not forget suppression and subtonics..... maybe that is why there are a bunch of black pajama types running around with 300BLK HK416s now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is great stuff to hear. I bet some of the other guys were hoping you'd fail with that big 308. Glad everything worked for you and had a great time. Its also good to hear the blackout 2 performs so well with recoil and flash suppression. Thanks for this.
I definately got a few looks but everyone in the course was good to go

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
loki*hunter if you don't mind me asking, where did you take this training course ? Looking for options for Jan. & Feb. , hopefully where the weather is a little milder. Sounds like a good time !

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
loki*hunter if you don't mind me asking, where did you take this training course ? Looking for options for Jan. & Feb. , hopefully where the weather is a little milder. Sounds like a good time !
AZ and NV are both good options at that time of the year. I am in AZ. Rio Salado, Pima Pistol, Cowtown Range and Phoenix Rod and Gun all host good training courses. I would start with Haley Strategic, Craig Sawyer, Paul Howe and Matt Burkett....all good trainers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.