FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the threads on the Internet discussing the weight of EDC's, Bug-out-bags, and the like, I thought it would be fun to start a thread on what *your* SCAR 17 weighs (loaded) and what you have on it. Could be valuable information for those looking to get accessories or try different configurations with their new SCARs. Pictures, of course, encouraged.

Load up a mag and hit the scales!

goodscar.png

-Trijicon ACOG TA11e in factory mount
-Magpul MOE+ grip
-Magpul RVG
-Midwest Industries 1913 rail extension
-SureFire M600v light w/ tape switch
-SilencerCo SpecWar brake
-Savvy Sniper sling
-20rds of M80 ball, 147gr
This configuration (plus a sling) is at 12lbs 9oz with a loaded mag and an Omega "in jail" that will put it around 13lbs 7oz.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I like this idea better!

that other thread is like "XX.X lbs without the supressor or bipod..."
Well those items are in the pic so they obviously count....
i would like to see what stuff weighs as it sits, ready to go. Sling and all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like this idea better!

that other thread is like "XX.X lbs without the supressor or bipod..."
Well those items are in the pic so they obviously count....
i would like to see what stuff weighs as it sits, ready to go. Sling and all.
IMO the only reason someone would care about the weight of the rifle is if they are going to be carrying it. They hopefully wouldn't carry unloaded guns, so it stands to reason that it should be weighed exactly as you would be carrying it to provide the best information to the weight-concerned folks.

Just my .02

·
Registered
28 Posts
Generally people compare gun weights without magazine/ammunition...since that part is fairly variable during operation anyway. Similar to comparing dry weights of dirt bikes/snowmobiles/ATVs. But there is always that guy who wants to penalize a piece of equipment for having a higher gasoline capacity by only comparing wet weights.

I don't have a SCAR 17 yet but I hope to next year. Here's my DPMS G2 AP4, my current rifle. I think a 17 is going to be heavier unless I run only a T1 maybe.

My Remington 700 SPS Tactical in an AI AX Chassis...if you SCAR is close to this we have a problem. :) Disclaimer: SOCOM Mini 7.62 not included in that weight (17 ounces).

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
D'oh! Missed that thread, tried searching "SCAR weight" and didn't notice it.
There is some good posts in the other one, lets hope this one could pick up from there and maybe stay on track better.

Reactions: Cannon762

·
Registered
44 Posts
13.2 lbs with 20 rds 149 gr Federal Lake City ammo in factory magazine

Black SCAR 17
Trijicon VCOG w/ 1AA battery
MREX 6.5" MLOK
Atlas PSR bipod
Giessiele trigger
Magpul MS4 QD sling
PMM Hogue grip
PMM rear QD mount & safety switch

Update: 12.8 lbs with Moses polymer mag loaded with 20 rds 149 gr

·
Registered
463 Posts
IMO the only reason someone would care about the weight of the rifle is if they are going to be carrying it. They hopefully wouldn't carry unloaded guns, so it stands to reason that it should be weighed exactly as you would be carrying it to provide the best information to the weight-concerned folks.

Just my .02
I hear ya, man.
My goal is to build a 17 that has everything I need as far as bolt ons but remains as lite as possible. Im shooting for under 10lbs and thats with an elcan, including mag and sling....

·
Registered
974 Posts
click to enlarge
scar.jpg

13 pounds 2.8 ounces

March 2.5-25x42 Tactical illuminated
ADM Recon mount
SEAL PMAG lower trigger module
Magpul MIAD grip
Atlas Bipod
PMAG SR/LR 25 mag with 25 rounds of 268 grain Sierra BTHP's
VLTOR butstock

Future weight gain plans...
Switch to ADM Delta Mount with Trijicon RMR on top
Add vertical fore end grip

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
click to enlarge
View attachment 41775

13 pounds 2.8 ounces

March 2.5-25x42 Tactical illuminated
ADM Recon mount
SEAL PMAG lower trigger module
Magpul MIAD grip
Atlas Bipod
PMAG SR/LR 25 mag with 25 rounds of 268 grain Sierra BTHP's
VLTOR butstock

Future weight gain plans...
Switch to ADM Delta Mount with Trijicon RMR on top
Add vertical fore end grip
Where's the balloons? ;)

·
Registered
660 Posts
With a mag of Fed GMM 168gr
I've had that picture on the right on my computer for awhile scheming about SCAR's. Is that with or without a magazine?

Reactions: Skeld

·
Registered
609 Posts
i do not typically use a sling. ta11eg with midwest industries qd acog mount, mi keymod rail extension, ggg charging handle, magpul selector levers, stryker 90degree selector, giesselle super scar trigger, 20 round pmag with hornady 150grn sst, handl lower, bcm gunfighter grip, vltor stock. ive removed the irons and ambidextrous bolt release as they just are not needed.

i got tired of the bolt releasing when its locked back and setting it down or leaning it up against something hence removing the ambi bolt release.

weight 10lb 14oz.

i think 10lbs is a damn good weight for a fully loaded 308 semi with all the gravy i like

4N1g1o.jpg

·
Registered
974 Posts
i do not typically use a sling. ta11eg with midwest industries qd acog mount, mi keymod rail extension, ggg charging handle, magpul selector levers, stryker 90degree selector, giesselle super scar trigger, 20 round pmag with hornady 150grn sst, handl lower, bcm gunfighter grip, vltor stock. ive removed the irons and ambidextrous bolt release as they just are not needed.

i got tired of the bolt releasing when its locked back and setting it down or leaning it up against something hence removing the ambi bolt release.

weight 10lb 14oz.

i think 10lbs is a damn good weight for a fully loaded 308 semi with all the gravy i like

View attachment 41809

I totally agree, but arguably you are closer to 11 pounds, but the most important thing is "with all the gravy i like"

A rifle that does not do what YOU need it to do is not as effective as it could be and is actually more dead weight to carry than a rifle a little heavier that does do what YOU need it to do.

The biggest problem I have is optics because to overcome my deficient vision, I require a larger, heavier scope than someone with better vision and that costs me a weight penalty no matter what rifle I am using. Your TA11EG is 14 ounces and my March is 23 ounces, (both without mounts.) If I had good vision, I'd be running a TA11EG myself.

The way I see it, I will shoot well over 99% of all the .308 through my Scar from the bench. Over my lifetime I will shoot less than .001% of the rounds I run while actually hunting. So when I say that you need to practice with the optics you are going to run, most people can get away with getting the best tactical optics and making do with that optic when they are bench shooting. I have to go the other direction and make do hunting with an optic that works for me on the bench. For me, any scope that would make a good shooter sniper material will only get me to being a sub par or barely adequate shooter. Without it, I'm struggling to stay on the paper.

1) If I was going on a long hike, I would remove my bipod and stow it in a pocket or pouch.

2) I would also run a 10 round PMAG to save carry weight, but my spare mags would remain 25 round PMAGS. If I run the 10 rounds and do two 25 round PMAG swaps, I have 60 rounds, the same as if you carry a 20 round mag and do two 20 round mag swaps, 60 rounds is 60 rounds. And two mag swaps are two mag swaps. It is a wash except the 10 round PMAG saves some carry weight.

3) I would leave the sunshade extension tube on my scope to help protect it from the gas and crud our Scar's spew at the gas block, but I removed it and the lens covers for the pic in case anyone wanted to know what a nakid March tactical scope looked like, the sunshade tube and lens caps add negligible weight. I would remove and stow my ADM Recon mounted scope for a long hike if there was a low likelihood that I would need to use it along the way and reinstall it when I get close to my destination. That would get me down to around 9 pounds of carry weight with 10 rounds.

Without the bipod and with a 10 round PMAG instead of 25 rounds,
I end up with a carry weight of 11 pounds 3.15 ounces
-as compared to my total full rig weight of 13 pounds 2.8 ounces,
that's over 2 pounds less carry weight!

scar1.jpg

Try a 10 round PMAG (or 10 round FN mag if not PMAG equipped) and see how much weight you will save, then decide if the extra ammo weight is carry weight you can accept moving from your Scar to your body...

When I get time in the spring, I plan to try some Moses polymer mags in my FN lower trigger module because that is probably going to be the ultimate weight-weenie configuration. And while I know many of us would love to see Moses make a 25 rounder, I would like to see Moses make a 10 round mag for the ultimate lightweight Scar 17 long humping carry setup. The issue will come down to whether the Moses mags have the same number of pounds of total load out weight savings that PMAG's give you over FN mags when you carry say 100 rounds or more in spare mags.

Reactions: Cannon762

·
Registered
609 Posts
i have a bunch of 10 rounders i use for hunting and off the bench. i hunt close to the texas mexico border and i never know when obama's chosen people will put in an appearence. i keep a 20 rounder handy. i used to use a bolt gun down there now its semi auto's. i like the acog because it has simply superb lowlight functionality and the reticle is never too bright for ambient light and slowly grows bright or dims at dawn and dusk without me having to muck with it. i like my nightforce optics but they just are not as low light hunting friendly as the acog.

i could shed weight by ditching the rail extension but i use it extensively as its a handy rest on deer blind windows, 4wheel handle bars truck beds mesquite branches etc. the oem or branem 2" is waaaay to short to be useful for getting a rest and keping the barrel off the rest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts